“Convenient!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Tuam, Ireland
“Convenient!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night in July 2014. It is easily accessible from the M7 motorway. The room was comfortable although it was quite warm due to the warm weather. There was no air conditioning.

Lots of ample parking and an on site restaurant (I didn't visit so I cannot comment on it). Portlaoise is only a few minutes drive away. I would not recommend this hotel if you didn't have a car.

1 Thank Jonathan D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed as a family at the Maldron Portlaoise in July 2014 en route from Doblin to Co Clare. The room was a brilliant size for four of us. The beds were some of the most comfortable we've slept in and the bathroom was large and spotlessly clean. And even though our room overlooked both the car park and the motorway and we had our window open as it was a warm evening, the noise level was minimal. Breakfast was very good and the chef prepared our hot food freshly for us. We would certainly recommend the Maldron Portlaoise for a stopover as ease of on and off the Motorway is unbeatable. We didn't try out the Leisure Centre but it looked great. We'll catch it next time!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I booked this hotel for my husband and daughter as an over night stay whilst competing in a golf competition.

I was given a price for one night's stay from Maldon website but when I checked my bank account I noticed I had been charged more for the night's stay. This is disappointing because my husband and daughter both had a nice stay. Only negative restaurant prices and menu choice.

Overall good stay but watch what you pay!

Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We would highly recommend the Maldron in Portlaoise to anyone. We used it as a half way stop on our way to Dublin, coming from Clare. We booked a family room, it was perfect for us, very spacious and clean, had everything we needed. The staff were very friendly. Breakfast was very good next morning. Above all of this, I think the best thing the Maldron has to offer is its excellent location, so convenient as its just off the motorway. There's a great variety of restaurants right next door, and its only a 5 min drive to the town centre of Portlaoise which has a huge selection of shops. We will definitely stay at the Maldron in Portlaoise again.

1 Thank 1999Sandy1976
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here last night.
Good points:
* Large clean family room.
* nice pool.
* games room for kids.
* friendly staff.
Bad point:
The bar/restaurant lacks atmosphere. The lady working was covering both the restaurant and the bar at the same time. She did not stop! However this lead to long delays if you wanted a drink/menu/order....
Overall it was a nice stay but I wouldn't rush back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebeletta
Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

very disappointed on return visit. hotel has got very run down. Great welcome which was once its signature is no longer. Instead payment was demanded on arrival when you are weary after a journey this is too much, particularly as the room was damp and smelly.
the gym has many items not working and swimming pool needs a good clean up. Breakfast was ok but cutlery was dirty as were dishes. No-one at reception to check us out at 11.30 a pile of cards indicated we weren't alone. poor wifi
hope they can improve this as we wont be back.

1 Thank IrelandFailte
MaldronPortlaoise, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Firstly may I take the opportunity to sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered on your stay with us and I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, as it is only through constructive feedback that we are able to make our wrong doings right.
Could I kindly ask you to contact me directly, I would appreciate the opportunity to get more details about some of the issues you encountered.
My personal mobile phone is 00353 868541101 and my email is bgorisch@maldronhotels.com

Kind regards
Bruno Gorisch
General manager
Dublin
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here at the weekend with my husband. We booked it last minute and got a great deal. The hotel is ok no real problems with it just no atmosphere in it. The staff are all lovely and always offer you a smile nothing seems to be too much. We were told there was entertainment on the Saturday night but there was none. I think maybe if there had been the place would have seemed a little more livelier. Food was lovely. All in all ok.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!