“A great place to stay”
Review of O'Loughlin's Hotel

O'Loughlin's Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I stayed at O’Loughlin’s recently with a buddy of mine and I can’t emphasize enough what a fine establishment it is. The rooms are clean and tastefully decorated, the food is of a high quality, the beer selection is extensive and the staff are some of the most courteous I’ve ever met. The owner, Ivor O’Loughlin, was accommodating in every manner, right down to advising my friend on local golf courses and approving the little Irish I’ve managed to learn. With its central location on Main Street in the heart of Portlaoise (a typically charming Irish town,) O’Loughlin’s is an easy walk to anything anyone would care to see while there. I would highly recommend O’Loughlin’s Hotel to anyone who would find themselves in need of great place to stay when in Portlaoise.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I recently had the pleasure of spending three nights at O'Loughlin's, a delightfully charming as well as lively and robust hotel in town Centre, Portlaoise. The room was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. The dining and pub areas are warm and cozy and the food was delicious! There is plenty of free, off-street parking and a thrilling discotheque, the “Club” for late night fun. As warm and peasant as O’Loughlin’s is, it is the staff that makes it special. Always quick with a smile and an offer to assist, the staff is what puts O’Loughlin’s in a league by itself. Cheers to Ivor – well done, lad!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank HarleyRider153
ivoroloughlin, Owner at O'Loughlin's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Hello Harley Rider,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We really enjoyed having you stay with us and are thrilled that you liked the place so much. You are more than welcome to call again the next time you visit our rainy little island!!

Regards,

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed here when we went to a wedding. Nice little hotel, handy to get to and good central location. Even though it's in the centre of the town the rooms are nice and quiet when you do want to have a sleep.

• Stayed: September 2011

Thank you kindly for your lovely review,

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I'm sure you had a lovely time at the wedding!! We look forward to seeing you again some time.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2011

An old hotel with much charm and updated, nicely decorated bedrooms. The family running this hotel was very nice to us and worked hard to make us happy. The breakfast was filling and we also enjoyed the pub dinner.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank er20833

Thank you kindly for your recent review,

As a family run hotel, our customers mean everything to us. I am thrilled that you had a good experience whilst here and look forward to welcoming you back at some stage.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2011

We ended up staying at O'Loughlins last weekend by accident.We had booked a B&B in the town as we attending a wedding in the Heritage hotel and the B&B had double booked our room!.The owner was mortifed and found us accomodation. It was all for the best as staying at O'Loughlins cost us less in the long run.It is an old style hotel that has had bedrooms renovated in the past few years.The rooms were very clean and bed comfortable. The dining area and hallways could do with a facelift.The location of this hotel is so central in Portlaoise,however it was a bit noisy at night after the nite club crowd came out but this did not bother us as we were just in but would not suit those looking for a quiet night.The staff were nice and breakfast was served until 11a.m and they said if we were late we would be looked after which was lovely after a late night!.The B&B served last breakfast at 9.30a.m! Breakfast was a bit hectic as people on the way to Croke park were dropping in for breakfast and milk and juice kept running out,so you have to keep asking! However breakfast was huge and very nice. Overall it was exactly what we wanted for wedding accomodation and we could walk home from the Heritage.Compared to B&B this is a better option and there was no rushing you out at 12p.m!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollydazeMayo
ivoroloughlin, Owner at O'Loughlin's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Dear HollydazeMayo,

I would like to thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are very well known for our affiliation with the GAA, hence the buzz of people on route to Croke Park for breakfast. I hope you enjoyed your stay and we at O'Loughlins look forward to seeing you again in the future.

With thanks,

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Stayed here one night. An older hotel, that has seen its glory days come and go, probably more than once. They have some great space, and I could see this place being a really great event location, if some money was poured into updating.
Free carpark. The staff was passably polite. I did hear a staff member, say stupid Americans...I believe towards some OTHER stupid American's in the dining area. And I got a really strange look when I asked for HP and vinegar for my steak and chips..(which I found readily at other restaurants here.)
Some attempt at updating the rooms had been made in the last 5 years or so.
Food was basic, and the bartender was completely uninterested in their job. Worst Guinness we had in Ireland...old keg?
The towels in the room were dingy and stained. (I used my travel towel.)
The room was cold and we couldnt get the radiators on.
As with most old hotels in the EU, be prepared to carry your things upstairs. I believe it was 3 stories worth of stairs.
The town was well set up but had quite a few empty storefronts on the main drag. Portaloise (pronounced PortLeash) is what I would call a working mans town, and the only real draw was the locality to The Rock of Dunamase.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere if you are looking for more than just a stop-off for the night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank skyetraveler74

Dear skyetraveler74,

I was very disappointed to read of your dis-satisfaction with our hotel. All our hotel rooms have been re-furbished in the last three years and are very well maintained. As we are small family run hotel trying to survive in these harsh economic times it is not possible to consider 'pouring' money into updating something that we are proud of.
This building has been a hotel for well over one hundred years and it has not been possible to fit it with an elevator, hence having to walk up the stairs. We have YR sauce and vinegar readily available for all our customers, and our staff are well instructed on the values of good customer service. In relation to the 'American' comment, all I can say is that I am baffled. If it was the case that this happened I would love to know the day and date so that I could address the situation with the staff that were on duty. Any comment like that would be totally unacceptable especially considering our family links with America.
With regard to the food, I think the fact that we have a bustling lunch and evening food trade is a testament to the quality of our food. As for the Guinness, we have many regular Guinness drinkers who would claim to be connoisseurs of the institution that is a pint of Guinness and they have failed to draw any problems to our attention.
Portlaoise is an industrial and public sector town and it is hurting economically. There are very few if any towns right across the country that are not hurting. The last three/four years in Ireland has been tough hence the empty shop fronts on the Main Street.
I appreciate your feedback and you taking the time to review our hotel and am sorry that you did not leave with pleasant memories. I would hope that should you return in the future you will see a well run family hotel with a lot of character.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Lovely family run hotel, great location and the staff were very helpfull and pleasent which made it very relaxing. Clean rooms and a great breakfast included. Good value.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank youngcouple1981

Dear youngcouple1981,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of our little hotel. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Kind regards,

Ivor O'Loughlin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Clanard Court Hotel
The Heritage Killenard
The Heritage Killenard
#1 of 1 in Killenard

Been to O'Loughlin's Hotel? Share your experiences!