“Great value hotel and great service”
Review of O'Loughlin's Hotel

O'Loughlin's Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 3 December 2010

O'Loughlin's is great, very centrally-located and great food. Nice bar and very friendly staff. Breakfast in particular was very good with a real home-cooked feel to it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
ivoroloughlin, Owner at O'Loughlin's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2011

Dear dubsthcentralboy,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast which is made to order as the guest requires it. Our staff are aware of the importance of top class customer service and am happy to hear that they were helpful and friendly towrds you at all times. We look forward to having you with us again in the future.

With thanks,

Reviewed 30 November 2010

One of my favourite stops on my way to Dublin. The staff could not be more helpful and accommodating. A real sense of pride is shown by staff which makes for a welcome, friendly and enjoyable experience.
I am yet to enter O'Loughlins without seeing a family member making sure everything is in order. I really enjoy this family run hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2010

this hotel was exactly what i needed. i stayed here on a business trip and i dont have a negative comment to say about this hotel. staff very helpful. rooms as good as new, food was brilliant and the craic in the bar was great in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Dear avenue17,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your stay. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We are very proud of the atmosphere we have created and maintained throughout our hotel. We are a small family run hotel, and we rely on our great customer service, food and reasonable rates to compete with larger hotels in the town.
I do hope you will call to us again in the near future and I'm sure your next stay will be as pleasant as your last.

With thanks,

Reviewed 28 September 2010

I stopped off in O' Loughlin's Hotel with my boyfriend on the way to Dublin. We both availed of the early bird menu which is extemely good value (two courses for under 15 euro). I had chicken curry and it was definitly the nicest curry I've ever tasted. My boyfriend had a beef burger which was really tasty. The staff were really attentive and friendly. The decor is slightly dated but doesn't take from the overall friendly and homely feel of the hotel. We'll definitely come here again if we are ever in Portlaoise.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita26043

Dear Anita26043,

I would like to thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are a family run hotel and really pride ourselves on serving good quality wholesome food at reasonable prices. We are currently looking into an overall re-vamp of the bar area in the hotel which may bring it more up to date! I am also pleased to hear that you were happy with the service you received during your trip. Hopefully we will see you again the next time you are passing and feel a little peckish!!

With Thanks,

Reviewed 22 September 2010

Came across this hotel by chance after leaving the main motorway to Dublin when my husband became tired when driving up from Killarney with a friend of ours. The reception is a tad dated and I was kind of sceptical at first. Both the man and the young girl who were in the reception were very friendly. We had nice clean rooms and the bathrooms are spacious and bright with a nice range of toiletries. We went out in town and came back late but it was no trouble to get a drink even although they do not have a residents bar. The man who brought our drinks was a real delight and spent some chatting even although it was very late by this time and clearly he should have been off home!!

Breakfast next morning was excellent (included in the price of the room) with superb Irish fare and loads of wonderful brown bread and toast.

Would not hesitate to use this again - great location near to the Curragh for any fellow racegoers!!.

The staff here are the real jewels in this establishment and O'loughlins would do well to keep them at all costs.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marilynnicolson
ivoroloughlin, Owner at O'Loughlin's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2010

Dear guest,

I am thrilled to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. We pride ourselves in our attention to our customers. As a small family run hotel, we cannot compete with some of the facilities that the larger hotels can offer but we make up for it with a personal touch. I thank you for your recommendation and hopefully we will have the priveledge of seeing you again (maybe for the races in he Curragh) soon.

Many thanks,

Ivor O'Loughlin.
Hotel Owner.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

I stayed here with a big group - mix of colleagues, clients and friends. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough to make us feel at home, nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were very comfortable and cleaned everyday. The food in the bar was lovely, especially the breakfast which is included in the room price - excellent value. I had forgotten a few things for an event that we were at and the hotel were happy to lend me what I needed - again nothing was to much truoble. Every morning we were greeted with a smile and a chat, always asking how the event was going etc. The hotel is right in the middle of Portlaoise main street - very central.All in all it was a great experience, great staff and unbelieveable value - we've booked again for next year and looking forward to it already.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
ivoroloughlin, Owner at O'Loughlin's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

Dear gottocatchemall,

I would like to thank you for taking time to review our hotel. In this age of large impersonal hotels (mostly bank owned) we pride ourselves on our customer service as we are a small family owned and run hotel. We are thrilled that you had an enjoyable experience with us and really look forward to seeing you next year.

Yours sincerely,

Ivor O'Loughlin.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

i found my stay in o'loughlins hotel to be excellent from start to finish

i felt the staff were very welcoming and helpful for the duration of my stay and the food was exceptional (especially given the reasonable prices). The room itself was spotless, comfortable and very tastefully furnished and there is a really nice atmosphere about the place in general.

Given the very reasonable cost for quality received, i would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends

Dear stevieg_03,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. We are a small family owned and run establishment competing against large bank owned hotels and it is great to hear that people still appreciate a personal touch. Our staff will be delighted to read your review.

Yours sincerely,

Ivor O'Loughlin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Clanard Court Hotel
Central Hotel Tullamore
Central Hotel Tullamore
#3 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to O'Loughlin's Hotel? Share your experiences!