“Decor..courtesy of IKEA?”

The Killeshin Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 30 December 2011

needed a place to stay between kinnitty and the motorway and indeed it is very convenient place if you have to break your journey but nothing special and akin to travelodge type accomodation.
Check in is easy as the place was not too busy but the place can fill up with conference and business suite traffic. The room was an executive room overlooking the road and although pristine was not at all inspiring .Contemporary theme and decor,really comfy bed yet a little small and strangely tiny TV on the far side of the room and no clock.Although near the road noise was minimal and black out great.Could do with a bit of art work to add colour and enjoyment of the insipid space. Bathroom ok if a bit tight for room but more than adequate for a single night enforced stop but wouldnt choose it for a few days, Obviously a hotel used to do local and passing business and it serves its purpose well.
Leisure centre ok with excellent gym yet pool a little drab and lacking windows and light . Jacuzzi small but the hottest we have ever been in,likewise steamroom and sauna.
Restaurant and bar areas really good and busy lively places.After hours spontaneus trad session on that night and it was great craic.Food is good though nothing special and breakfast is varied, plentiful and well cooked in buffet format.
The place is of a good standard throughout yet sanitized like a hospital or set from IKEA , has no real atmosphere or quality to make me want to return other than for necessity whilst travelling.
I suppose when spoilt for choice with so many non best western type 4 stars this place can not compete.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and you will get a larger room and keep away from the function room at the rear o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank odysseus53

Reviewed 16 December 2011

I have recently attended a function and stayed over night in the Killeshin, from the very start I thought everything was fine, having been my second time to stay I noticed very few changes except new staff, our function dinner was excellent, service from the girl on our table was 2nd compared to none, I think her name was Ciara, We had a great night at the function, staff stayed on top of their game and remained very friendly, We stayed slightly longer than we should have and a few of our party "slighty" over indulged at the bar, later that night when we returned to our rooms we had a little hiccup where we found we were in need of help from the night staff, we called reception and a man who introduced himself as Kevin answered the phone, within seconds of explaining to him what had happened he arrived up to help us, this is where I noticed he was the night manager, to cut a long story short and without going into too much detail I just want to thank him for his professionalism, concern, the integrity he showed and his discretion in regards to the situation at hand. We will be returning again minus one.

Room Tip: Sleep quality was no fault of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I sent the following email to the Killeshin Hotel 5days ago, still waiting for response...

To whom it concerns

My partner and I spent Friday 2nd of Dec thru Sun 4th of December in your hotel for a weekend away. First off let me say the swimming pool and gym are great assets and most enjoyable and user friendly. The staff at the hotel reception and gym reception were very nice and polite, and extremely helpful. We ate in the restaurant on Saturday night and must say the food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Also much appreciated were the vouchers for Kildare Shopping Village, we most enjoyed our outing.

However I must add the following and please note we have never had to raise issues of concern before. We raised these issues with the receptionist on duty on the morning of Sun 4th Dec also:
1) After coming back from a run Friday night the stopper was missing from the bath we had to ring reception, who said they would send a porter
2) The porter arrived, and showed my partner two stoppers, asked him which one he wanted. He replied that he wouldn’t know. She said well is it the bath or the sink. He replied bath. She handed him one, leaving him to fit it himself.
3) In a double room (booked for two people) we had one water glass in the bathroom, and one spoon for tea/coffee
4) On Saturday morning we ventured down for breakfast. The first two breakfast plates in the ‘clean’ stack had dried old egg stuck on them.
5) On the same morning the beans spoon had long hair on it.
6) We were not told we needed to book the restaurant in advance, and arrived down to be told to come back at 9pm. My partner said in innocence, it is now 8.58pm. The waiter replied ‘well then another 15 minutes’.
7) We went to the bar to wait, and I asked a younger male member of bar staff for a cocktail menu. He rolled his eyes, looked behind him and said I can’t see one. I asked could he please find one. He again rolled his eyes, walked a few steps up the bar and blatantly ignored me. I followed him up the bar, and asked excuse me, the menu please. He replied there’s none in the bar, maybe there’s one in the restaurant and then did nothing. Again I asked could you fetch one then. He sighed heavily and said do you know what one you want. I replied I don’t even know how much they are. He said they are 5.95, no wait they are 6.95, do you know what you want. Exacerbated, I replied I’ll have a strawberry daiquiri. His next comment shocked me most; he asked “what’s in it so????” I must have looked surprised as he followed it up with “if you know what’s in it, I’ll make it”. I was tiring at this stage and gave in, responding “just give me a bottle of Coors Light so”.
8) On a minor note, the Jacuzzi was broken the full three days we were there, the television was very small and there was no clock in the room. I realise this point is frivolous and normally these issues would not bother us but when coupled with everything above it all spoilt our weekend.

Obviously this was not what I was expecting,
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Kindest regards,

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank A H
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We stayed for 3 nights with our 2 young girls. It could not have gone much better. The hotel catered for all our needs, with its facilities and friendly staff.

Our room was an adequate size for the 4 of us, neither big nor small. It was over the leisure centre which meant there was less traffic outside (being at the end of the hall), and no possibility of any noise from bar if there was any.

The location is good as you are not in the town centre and there are many activities nearby. The food was excellent and you could have as much breakfast as you wanted.

The leisure centre was ideal for us as it was a great way to tire the kids out while having fun. The hotel was clean and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. Their friendliness got things going on the right foot, and all staff always smiled and said hello at the very least. More often than not they would offer assistance.

I would recommend this hotel especially if you have a young family.

Room Tip: Rooms over swimming pool area are quieter.
1  Thank Donncha O
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My wife and I and our three children stayed here for three nights during the recent mid-term break.We were fed up travelling for two or three hours to Cork/Galway or Wexford for a break, as after all,most people just want a clean comfortable hotel with a nice pool,bar and restaurant that is not too far from amenities.As a reader and reviewer on trip advisor,it is very easy to find faults with establishments,and the good points go unnoticed and unreported.This hotel is not something out of the ordinary like one would expect from properties contained in "the blue book guide" ,but it certainly ticked a lot of boxes for us.The first good point for us was when the kids couldn't believe that we were "there already!" It took us less than an hour from the m50.The rooms were very modern and spotless,we got interconnecting rooms which the kids thought were great.Plenty of sachets of hot chocolate and no problem replenishing same when they ran out.The pool was perfect,not too crowded but as said in previous reviews it could have been a little warmer.The staff in the leisure centre were very friendly and courteous.The bar was grand,did the job,and we ate there on two out of three nights and It was above average.The breakfast was 10 out of 10,great selection and prompt service,but I thought the manageress in the restaurant,I think her name is Ela,could do with some lessons in customer care,a little rude to say the least.One of the best assets that this hotel has is the professionalism and friendliness of the receptionists.From the initial contact on the phone to Yvonne,another friendly girl on checking in,and others in between, they all really went beyond their call of duty to make sure we had a pleasant stay.Yvonne wrote out a page of directions for us,recommended a lovely place to eat,and it wasn't only for us,I witnessed her being very kind and professional to a group of ladies who had just arrived for a short break.If you live in Dublin or within 60 miles of this hotel,I'd say you would do well to find a place any better than this for a short break.

5  Thank fairisfair
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Spent a couple of nights here and found all of the staff to be friendly and very helpful. The hotel itself is fairly new and the family room we had was large, clean and decorated in a contemporary style. Some of the fittings however left something to be desired, the chairs were flimsy and the toilet flush was plastic and on the verge of breaking.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was standard hotel fare, with a choice of both hot and cold items. One tip is to get there before 10:00am as they seem to run out of certain items even though breakfast does not finish until 10:30am.

Note that while there is free internet access at the hotel only the ground and first floors provide wi-fi, the second and third floors provide only wired access.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back of the hotel as the front faces onto a fairly...
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My wife and I along with some other family stayed here for two nights over the Oct Bank holiday. Upon arrival we were given the wrong room and had to change rooms . My nephew used the leisure centre and his prescription goggles were stolen ,the police were called as a man had the goggles in his hand and insisted they were his, after the Gardai had a chat with the man he handed them back to my nephew ,it turned out the man was an ex Garda and well known to the Gardai and staff. We went into the bar to have dinner on the Sat evening and I noticed a rentokill container on the floor about 8ft away from our table , I used the toilets and their was tissue all over the floor and no fresh tissue to dry hands . I reported this to Antonio but got no feed back .

Room Tip: Ask when you book if you want a double bed or single .
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank De O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Kildare House Hotel
Kildare House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kildare

Been to The Killeshin Hotel? Share your experiences!