“Still only ok, toe nail clippings problem though...”

The Killeshin Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here for a work night, nothing much has changed here. Room was grand, bit tired but nothing too major, toe nail clippings all over the carpet so hoover was obviously not used by the housekeeping.
Leisure center was nice but guy on reception was mega rude with no customer service, had to get my own towel when he kept ignoring me.
Food is nice enough here but it can take ages to get served, especially if there is a group

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Killeshin Hotel

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel saturday night with my partner. Its a lovely hotel, the staff were very
friendly and helpful. We had a meal in the restaurant and food was absolutely fabulous. our room was very spacious, spotless and comfortable. Breakfast following morning was great and lots choices. I couldnt fault this hotel in any way and would definitely recommend it to anyone and we will def stay there again. We had a very pleasant stay from start to finish.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Antoinette D
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We booked this hotel on a package of 98 euro for two people B&B and a two-course dinner. The hotel itself is modern and spacious, on the side of the motorway. Reception staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Asked for a scone with my coffee in the bar and got one that had been microwaved to within an inch of its life. Asked for it to be changed for a cold one and the girl pulled another one out of the plastic packet under the bar - it's a pity that in a hotel with a full restaurant and kitchen that they couldn't make their own scones.
Hotel room was large and nicely decorated. There was a list of TV channels beside the TV, very few channels were actually tuned in and these had poor reception. No extraction fan in the bathroom, which was strange considering that there was also no window. Surprisingly small double bed given the size of the room, but comfortable nonetheless.
Good breakfast but we didn't manage to get any tea and toast until the rest of our food was completely cold - we noticed many other tables having the same problem - staff seemed to be oblivious.
Food in restaurant was delicious, other than the meringue roulade which did not taste fresh.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I would recommend this hotel to all. I stayed for business purposes and although its a bit of walk from town its worth it. Lovely large rooms very modern hotel and good food what more could you ask for. Did not try the leisure centre but looked great. also got great rate from booking.com will be back.

Room Tip: rooms at back are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank oconnell413
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Just back from a short stay in The Killeshin hotel .Lovely hotel ,the rooms were large and spotless,staff were friendly and helpful .We had a lovely meal in the restaurant .Unfortunately we didn't have time to try the leisure center,which looked great,maybe next time.I would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Stayed in the hotel New Years eve. Hotel is only a few years old and kept in very good condition. Rooms nice and modern only downside was there was no remote for the tv and when I rang front desk about it they were unable to locate another one for me so no tv as it would not turn on without the remote.
Breakfast was not great maybe because of everyone have a late night there was no tables in the resaurant and had to eat it in the bar and had it finished before tea and toast arrived ( you are forgotton about when not in the main room. Plus they seemed to run out of a lot of the food before we left. What ever newspapers they had were well gone before I got there.
Overall a nice hotel in a good location for travelling.It was also great valu B+B

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I stayed there with my whole family (there are quite a few of us) on December 30th. Had an overall very good experience. The hotel looked decent from the outside & was only a few metres walk from the bus stop. We were given a very warm, albeit scripted, welcome. What I mean by that is there were 2 people checked in before us and the lady there pretty much repeated the same spiel for all 3 of us word for word. I thought it funny. When we got to the room I was impressed with the size of it. Huge bed too and very comfortable with plenty of storage space and a big desk. The TV reception was very grainy though, but I wasn't there to watch TV. Only flaw was the shower didn't have an anti-slip mat and the bath did become quite slippy.

We had pre-booked in for dinner and were accomodated without hassle. The food was nice but portions could have been better. I mean at one point we were given one bowl of potatoes and veg to share between 5 of us. his obviously wasn't cool, so we asked for another bowl which was provided.

After dinner we hit the bar and proceeded to have a good night together. When we retired to the lobby to use the residents bar things changed slightly. The bar itself was closed obviously, so I approached the night porter (when he finally came back) to ask is it him we get drinks from. His response was "Well I could.......it'll have to be the last one though". At this point it was 02:40 and the residents bar was advertised until 3. Also he seemed as if he felt he was doing me a favour somehow. This was the only blight on an otherwise great night though.

Room Tip: Request a bath mat
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank John O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to The Killeshin Hotel? Share your experiences!