“Wow Hotel in Portlaoise”

The Killeshin Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My 2nd time writing this as my previous attempt bombed out on my iPhone. Super hotel, with v v good leisure facilities - gym and pool. Loads of carparking, lovely bar and impressive lobby.

Want to write about the restaurant though. Had an evening meal with my wife. In short, you must go. Food quality second to none, preparation and presentation top class and my sslmon was cooked to perfection. My wife had steak, which was also fab and cooked perfectly. Both meals were priced so reasonably that we are still talking about the food weeks later.

Compliments to all involved and responsible and please do not change. You are a hidden gem, will certainly be back for more !

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Curious1Ireland
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you for your comments, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will be back to us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed here for two nights for a wedding and couldnt be happier with the whole stay. |the food rooms and staff were excellent and real value for money. Rooms were clean large, airy and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was always hot, fresh, and delicious weather in the bar, at breakfast and at the wedding itself. I have no hesitation in reccomending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed equal but we stayed on the third floor
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us last weekend. We appreciate receiving this feedback from our customers. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

The Killeshin Hotel stands on the main road when you either enter or exit the town and is easy to find. First impressions are that it is a Government building but things thankfully improve when inside the property. It is clean and modern and very different from the old Killeshin Hotel.

Our visit consisted of sampling the bar food which I must say was excellent. It is not the first time we have eaten there and the standard seems to have been maintained. At this stage we have sampled most of the menu and I cannot fault anything regarding the food.

Atmosphere wise it is the standard rural Hotel welcome. We know you are not local so dont expect any banter. I think the property is under Receivership so I suppose job security dwells heavily on the mind. The East European Waitresses are charming as always and as usual smartly turned out. The presentation of the food was excellent and it was hot and tasty. There are some Irish Staff and the usual miserable attitude unfortunately prevails. The very same people populate the many Restaurants in Manhattan wishing everyone a nice day but when at home it really kills them to wait on anybody and as for a smile, well you can forget that.

Portlaoise would be renowned as a foodies wasteland so when in town give this Hotel your business. Their Chef seems to care and that deserves some support.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thetartanleprechaun

Thank you for taking the time to write this response,we appreciate the time and effort it takes to give us feedback. I hope you will continue to visit the Killeshin Hotel when passing. Thank you again.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

just spent 2 nights in this great hotel ,our room was a great surprise really big and very comfortable staff from the reception to dining room could not have been more helpful ,i asked the staff that do the bedrooms if i could have a showercap and these were left in our room right awaywe could not have had better service ,thefood was great and really fast and good service, would stay here again best hotel we have stayed at in the south of ireland for a long time

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you for comments, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We arrived at the hotel very late and very tired but the receptionist was very welcoming.

The bar was great and opened late into the night.

Room was quite big and the bed was really comfortable and large.
Location is a bit odd as next door to 2 prisons and a hotel but that doesn't take away from the good service we had.

Parking was also free which is a nice plus!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We used the conferencing facilities over a 3 month period in 2012. We had 150 delegates attend the training in that time, all requiring accommodation. The service excellent in all areas of the hotel. Staff simply could not do enough for us. The training facilities are excellent, as are the bedrooms, restaurant and gym. The hotel has plenty of complimentary parking. The location is ideal where delegates are travelling from different part of the country. All in all I would highly recommend the Killeshin when staying in Portlaoise..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tom H

Thank you for your comments, we enjoyed having you with us over the past number of months and will endeavour to look after you going forward. As a result of your IT requirements we have invested in upgrading our wifi to much faster system. Hence improving the overall conference facilities. We value customer feedback.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Unfortunatley, I am forced to write this review because I emailed the hotel and got no reply.

I stayed at the Killeshin Hotel in March. When we arrived at the hotel we were very impressed by the welcome we received from the receptionist. The overall decor of the hotel was beautiful.

We ate on the bar Friday night. We found the service to be very poor. The bar staff were shouting comments from one end of the room to the other.
There was one female bar-person and she turned out to be very friendly, however the overall attitude of some of the bar staff was appalling for a 4-star hotel. A waiter slammed our food on the table & before I could ask for dip to accompany my meal he was gone like the wind. I think his name was Martin. He took off his nametag halfway through service so I found it hard to see. Everyone could hear/see the staff slagging each other, the males pinching the female waitress etc. I understand that it was lighthearted fun, but that should carry-on should be left for lunch breaks. I would expect this in a grungy bar, but not a well-established hotel.

When we went up the the bedroom at approx 9.30pm, I called "room service" to ask for extra bedclothes. I think I had been put through to the bar but the person who answered assured me that they would get somebody to send up the bedclothes. They never arrived. I placed towels on the bed to keep warm.

In the morning, when I was getting up, I noticed that the cover of the duvet had moved up (no buttons/clasps). I was horrified to see a huge dirty brown stain on the duvet. I was disgusted!
I have attached a photograph of this.

I was also very disappointed to see that the leisure centre didn't open until 9am. I would love to have gone for a workout before breakfast.

I feel that the service that was provided to us was disgraceful in parts.
There were some ups of course - delicious food, clean hotel and very friendly receptionist.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments, I was very disappointed to see that you didn't enjoy your stay. We will endeavour to investigate all of your issues and make the appropriate improvements. Thank you once again for bringing this to our attention.

John Flannery

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Kildare House Hotel
Kildare House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kildare
Talbot Hotel Carlow

Been to The Killeshin Hotel? Share your experiences!