“Fantastic hotel”

The Killeshin Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here twice now as I found it to be comfortable with fantastic breakfast and facilities The staff are friendly and very helpful. No pressure on exiting your room for 12 on the dot . I found the breakfast tasty with plenty of choice and the staff could not do enough to help.
The rooms are stylish , clean and spacious with the added bonus of along with the usual tea and coffee their was hot chocolate and biscuits. Would defiantly stay here again as its just on the edge of the town and very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review, we are pleased you enjoyed you stay with us and the little touches we like to offer our guests. We hope you will be back for a third stay!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed overnight here and had dinner, breakfast and lunch.

Rooms are modern and very well equipped and staff are efficient and friendly.

What surprised me was the food. It was excellent. Dinner was particularly good but nothing could be faulted. A lot of locals seemed to be dropping in for bar food so obviously it's well known locally.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, our food is well known and many customer comment on this. We hope this experience will urge you to return to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Ordered fish, chips & mushy peas for lunch today. Lots of fish, chips were homemade and delicious but sadly the "mushy peas" were from a tin with something added to make them a little creamy. Their distinct sweet taste gave them away. Seems to be the thing that lets down the food here, they never quite deliver what they say on the menu. Despite the let down of the peas the rest of the food was delicious.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. I have discussed your comments about the mushey peas with the head chef and he confirmed that the peas are tinned as opposed to frozen. We will review the options going forward.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This was an awesome places to stay. The staff were extremely friendly. This was my very first stay outside the US. I did the typical American thing and blew out my electricity in my room. But they turned it right back on and gave me an extension cord with no condescending messages. Awesome experience.

Stayed: April 2014
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will drop by when you are in the neighbourhood again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We chose the Killeshin due to its central location and having read the many excellent reviews online. I'm pleased to say it didn't disappoint! from check in to check out, nothing was too much trouble for the very friendly staff and they went out of their way to make our family reunion a really special one. Prior to our arrival, I had spoken to both Yvonne and Theresa on the phone on a number of occasions. They answered all my questions and arranged each of the rooms according to individual requirements (smoking room, cot in another etc). I was amazed that on one occasion when I rang, Yvonne remembered me and all my details despite having only spoken to her once before!
We arrived at lunchtime and ate in the busy bar which had a nice feel to it and again, very pleasant staff, helping me choose options from the menu which were suitable with an allergy. The food was great and enjoyed by all. Our family room and those of the rest of my family were very clean and spacious, and had plenty of room for a large bed, single bed, camp bed and travel cot! If I had one small quibble with the room, it was that it was a little stuffy and quite warm overnight even with the window open.
The pool was lovely and warm, great for the younger family members, and also had a separate shallow baby pool and jacuzzi. Don't forget to bring your swimming hat with you, or else you can buy one for €2.50 at the leisure centre reception.
There is a nice inner courtyard area which we availed of for pre dinner drinks in the sun. Unfortunately, my young nephew became unwell in the early evening and once again, the staff surpassed themselves in helping to resolve the situation and were genuinely caring. They suggested going to the hospital to get checked out which happens to be directly across the road. They also spoke to the restaurant without quibble and pushed our dinner reservation back until such time as we were ready to eat. Luckily, he was fine after being checked out by doctors, but the staff helped to make a worrying and stressful situation calm which was quite reassuring. Bernie in particular was great and couldn't have done more for us during all this and throughout our stay...the kind of person that really makes your stay extra special.
A three course dinner was included in our stay, and was without exception, delicious. The sea bass and steaks in particular were fab, the choice was great, and the children were also very happy with their meals. The selection available at breakfast was very good and all provided in very comfortable surroundings, where we once again able to sit together as a large family group. Our stay was incredible value for money given the quality of the food and also the standard of the rooms and facilities.
To top it all off, each of the children were presented with Easter eggs by Bernie at reception before we left....a lovely idea and smiles all round!
We'll definitely be back again, thanks everyone for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thorough review, I hope all was well with your little one afterwards. There is a good team here for a number of years and I feel their job satisfaction follows through to give the customers the experience they deserve. We hope you will come back to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here mid week on a business trip. Got exactly what I needed. A nice welcome a big room with lots of workspace, and good internet (via a cable, but they are upgrading soon) usual nice tea tray and a comfy bed. Had a meal in the bar and watched the football with other guests. All friendly staff, very efficient and a decent meal. Clean, comfortable friendly and decent food, what more could I ask for on a night away on business.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to receive a glowing review from such a senior reviewer. Thank you again and we hope you will be back with us again soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed in the Killeshin Hotel with my family for New Years 2013. I was very impressed with the standard of the hotel. I am a clean freak and the rooms were kept to a very high standard. They are very spacious, the beds are very comfortable and the shower facilities are excellent. On New Years eve we had a meal in the main bar area and the food was fantastic. I had the fish and chips but I tried a bit of everyone else's, as you do, and I couldn't fault it.

The leisure facilities in this hotel are great. The gym and the pool area have everything you need to get a good work out in before a good feeding.

The only thing that let this experience down was the one man band that rang in the New Year. He had absolutely no personality and he didn't engage the crowd at all. This is not a reflection of the quality of this hotel, it was simply one negative out of two nights of positives.

I have plenty of family in Portlaoise and I will definitely be using this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review, the team here at the Killeshin are always delighted to received such a frank and honest review of a guests stay. We note your comments regarding the music and will review our music line up for the next event.

We hope you will return us in the future and make yourself known to reception or the sales department as we love to make a fuss over return guests.

John Flannery

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to The Killeshin Hotel? Share your experiences!