“Basic Rooms, but Excellent Food & Staff”

Ashbourne House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Cork, Ireland
“Basic Rooms, but Excellent Food & Staff”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Again, I was one of the Groupon groupies who booked this hotel for 2BB1D for €99 per couple. As my parents were also using their groupon for the same weekend, the hotel allowed us to bring our 2 young sons (4&3) and have 1 stay in each room on a B&B basis for €20. Great value.

Didn't expect much for such a price, and must admit the rooms are rather basic, and could really do with some modernising, such as full size TVs instead of portables, a fresh lick of paint, and just a more modern decor, but its all just superficial stuff really. The rooms, especially the bathrooms were perfectly clean and adequate. The beds were surprisingly comfortable, and plenty of pillows. The staff even helped me with clean bedlinens at 2.30am when my son, being poorly, threw up in his bed. The night porter/manager was prompt & helpful, even offering to phone an on-call doctor if required.

Overall, the staff were great...relaxed & friendly with the kids, encouraging them to eat up etc., and friendly yet professional with the adults.

The food was WAY above expectations. We ate the first night as part of our deal in The Loft. Superb food, well presented, food allergies catered for without fuss, and four courses for little more than the price of a nice takeaway! Extensive kids menu too, which is real bonus. Not just the usual deepfried chicken nuggets/sausages & chips, and we were also offered smaller portions from the adults menu if they were more suitable. REALLY GREAT FOOD & SERVICE. Bar food the next night was equally commendable.

Breakfast was not to the same standard, but I think they were overwhelmed with everyone arriving for breakfast in the last 20mins. The buffet ran very low, however it was replenished without much delay, and the waiting staff, opened up the adjoining bar area to allow for extra seating. So overall, they turned what could have been a negative comment into a positive one, by handling the rush extremely well.

Would I stay here again, without a doubt, especially if I got such a good rate.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank emamu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We had taken a short break, our sixth one from October 2011. This hotel looked lovely from the picture that had been presented on the web site, it said on the edge of the town which I would of classed as slightly out of the town centre, Ah no its right on a very busy junction and across the road from a large shopping centre and right next door to the Garda Station. The rooms are basic but clean and tidy, the T.V controller didnt work, (no volume or channel change) the bathroom floor was sticky, the extractor in the bathroom didn't work, leaving you steamed up badly every-time you had a shower. There was also a faulty shower head squirting water all over the bathroom floor which was only discovered after warming the shower up. The reception was attended by lady who when booking us in took a phone call mid booking and stayed on the phone for several minutes while taking a booking for ten bedrooms from some business, this was not the problem she never said excuse me I need to take this call or after the call say sorry about that, she just carried on taking our booking several minutes later. The reception counter was all sticky you could feel it while leaning there waiting for the girl to finish taking the other booking. The hotel it self is lacking a bit of TLC, it could do with someone paying a bit of attention to detail, silly things like the mirrors were all smeared in the breakfast hall, the glass counters were all cleaned with the wrong cloths leaving dirty marks, the sigh at breakfast said "customers please note breakfast is self service" there were four notices like this, then we were approached by a lady saying she would do that and took the serving tongs of us with a look of disgust. The breakfasts were nice but the seating is very badly laid out as the person next to you is nearly sitting on your lap I would not like to see it if they were very busy. It was not really one big thing that was wrong just a whole lot of we things but could be so easily resolved. On the other hand we had a meal in The loft Restaurant, Top class, service top Class food, as good as I have had anywhere round the world. If the hotel end was as clean, and efficient and as friendly as the restaurant they would be on a winner. The thing that we noticed most was I don't think either my wife or myself had a clean class from we arrived till we left. Except in the restaurant. Not good Ashbourne hotel. To end it all we had someone banging on our door at 5am 5.10 am and 5.15 am looking to get into the room, as room 301 is on the second floor which is marked floor 2 in the lift not 3, so someone with a bit of drink must of got it wrong. When I went down to the night ported at 5.20 am he said he had not seen anyone wondering about at that time but didn't seem very interested in coming back up to my floor to resolve the matter or to see if there was a stranger wondering about the Hotel on his watch. Another tell tail sigh of someone not caring is all the cigarette butts outside the front door of the hotel, hundreds of them. And last but not least when we were booking out the receptionist never said did you enjoy your stay, maybe they have learnt not to ask. Sorry Ashbourne hotel someone somewhere needs to read this advice and act on it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank malcolm1959
Belfast
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Have to be honest; whilst the staff are excellent, the hotel itself just isn't somewhere I could recommend to anyone. The room I stayed in was very shabby, the walls are paper thin and the amenities are non-existent.
Just to confirm, I can't fault the staff; they made the stay much more bearable. If you need to stay in Ashbourne, stay here but if not shop around!!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Christy-TheMac
feenagh, county limerick
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed during midweek for 1 night.
Its ok, definately wouldnt bring the girl here.
Drove in the car park, first impression, broken glass off a car window, and a sign park here at your own risk.
Room: door is just about closing, no bath, dirty windows, carpet needs a good hoover.
I had dinner in the bar, lamb was nice, veg was hard, and not nice at all.
Would i stay again, i would seek somewhere else in the area first for a similar price.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 3rd floor, view of a roof, then again, i didn't come here to sit and look out of t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank gortnagluggin
Dublin
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Enjoyed a wonderful stay, Staff and accomodation both excellent.
Food in restuarant was SUPERB.
Will definitely return again!!!!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank YOLANNA-TB
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a two night midweek break in this hotel, 2 nights b&b and one evening meal for €99 per couple. I booked this deal with Groupon and at first was a bit sceptical about what we could expect for this sort of money but I needn't have worried. How refreshing it is to see a hotel putting in such a huge effort to provide such exceptional value. Our room was spotless, the staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful and the food was excellent. In particular I would like to mention Cíara who on the first evening was working in the restaurant; later that night she was working in the bar and the next evening she was working in reception; such a lovely, hard working and helpful girl and what an asset to this business. Well done to all at the Ashbourne House Hotel.
DO'C.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gamlaman
tallaght
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Just back from a lovely weekend, staff pleasant and helpful,food excellent, rooms basic but spotless, had read a lot of bad reviews but i have nothing negative to say about the hotel would definately go back was great value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martinatallaght
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Roganstown Hotel and Country Club
Kettles Country House Hotel

Been to Ashbourne House Hotel? Share your experiences!