“Good Value”

Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We recently availed of the family package with tayto, zoo and funtasia tickets. This is excellent value for a family of 4, even for us as a family of 3. Hotel nicely situated for all three parks. Rooms large and very clean. Beds very comfy. Bring extra clothes hangers with you as not many. Staff nice, Breakfast was grand but drawback for me was menu selection as no vegetarian dish but 1 salad (with meat) on both the restaurant and red bar menus. A veg stirfry or pasta would suffice so I was dissappointed to be easting mushrooms and salad all weekend. Otherwise hotel is very nice, but if you are vegetarian one is better to go go into Ashbourne for a meal. The kiddies menu was good though. There is a cinema within walking distance and an applegreen service station and shop with deli and subway sandwich bar. If we are travelling to Tatyto Park or Funtasia again which I intend to do, I will stay here again.

1  Thank Triona_7
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Triona_7,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. Due to our proximity to Tayto Park, Dublin Zoo & Funtasia our 3 night package remains extremely popular with families.
I have noted your comments with regard to the Vegetarian options and will speak with our Head Chef with regard to increasing the selection and options.

I am delighted to learn you will return to the Pillo Hotel & Spa in Ashbourne & I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hidden gem of a hotel very clean comfortable and friendly. Great offers in spa and excellent treatments. Great pool facilities. Large bedrooms and very very comfortable beds. We had a great offer which included an evening meal which was a very good selection on menu.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear sunsunsun07,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay on tripadvisor.

I was delighted you enjoyed your time with us & I look forward to welcoming you back to The Pillo Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Pillo Hotel was a very pleasant hotel to stay in. The cleanliness was excellent.The rooms were always tidy and clean every morning. the food was always hot and plenty of it a very spacious hotel every where . The air condition worked so you had a pleasant nights sleep. the staff couldn't have done any more for you especially the girls who served our table at dinner time they were very helpful and were very pleasant.I have been in hotels before where your plate was left down and that was it the girls in this hotel always came back to make sure you had everything you needed. i had a very pleasant stay in this hotel. Thankyou and i would stay again if i'm down that way

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 350cindy
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear 350cindy,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at The Pillo Hotel & Spa Ashbourne.

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I was especially pleased you enjoyed dining with us and had plenty of positive comments with regard to the staff.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here with my husband and 2 kids. Every single member of staff were exceptionally pleasant and just super! I didn't think such hotels existed anymore in Ireland with every member of staff so pleasant. Rooms were fab, food both at breakfast and dinner was superb. It was a pleasure to stay at the Pillo, we will definitely return.

Dear ARC71,

I was delighted to read such wonderful comments with regard to the hotel staff and food, I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pillo Hotel in yje not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Very clean, helpful staff,and great family deals for visit to funtaisia water park, would give a 5 out of 5 but bathrooms need some regrouting.but would stay again great time had by all of the family.Will be coming back when visiting tayto park.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Anthony I,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Pillo Hotel & Spa Ashbourne.

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for all the positive comments with regard to the hotel.

I will be sure to have a look at the grout in the bathrooms - Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We travelled down to Ashbourne early on a Saturday morning to spend the day at the Tayto Park which is a short drive away and returned to the Pillo hotel for an overnight stay. Therebis no shuttle to the park and the hotel is slightly out of town so a car is a must.

The hotel itself is situated in its own grounds and is modern, big with loads of free car parking. You need a code to get out of the carpark. We did not realise this until we were trying to leave. Neither did the driver in front. When I returned to reception the receptionist pointed to the four digit sign with the code which was placed in front of the desk. Couldnt figure out why this information could not be given at check. It's not the sort of thing you look for while checking in with a child, luggage and documents to produce. However checking was smooth and the receptionsts very pleasant.

Our room was impressive...large and very clean with a beautiful wide window which gave fantastic views. The way the hotel is built seems to allow views from all sides.

We had a fridge, tea making facilities and a wide screen tv. The bathroom was spacious and spotless with toiletries and plenty of white fluffy towels.

The hotel has a lovely pool...free to guests. Towels were provided but if you don't have a swim hat you will need to purchase one for two euro.

The staff were very attentive. We didn't eat in the restaurant but opted for the Red bar menu. We chose a platter to share for 16.95 euro and a childs chicken goujons and chips for 6 euro. Our platter included chicken goujons, wedges, spring rolls, onion rings. All well deep fat fried and dry. Very unappetising...I barely ate anything. The child's goujons were the same but the chips were better.

Later on in the bar there was entertainment in the form of a couple of musicians singing. There are plenty of nice seating areas in the reception area and outdoor seating.

There is no games area for children and I do think the hotel is missing a trick here given the amount of families how stay here to visit the Tayto Park. Our little one brought his football and probably would have kicked this for hours if there was a safe place provided.

All in all we had a great time at the Pillo and think it is a great base for touring the sights of Meath and even Dublin. We definately will be staying here again and have recommended it to family.

Room Tip: All rooms have lift access and a view

Dear Cavehill,

I was delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and would have no hesitation in returning or recommending the hotel to others.

I have taken on board your comments with regard to the car park barrier code and also in relaton to the quality of the Combination Platter and will address same with the relevent departments. Thank you for the much valued feedback.

With regard to the play area for the children, you will be glad to know that we are at planning stage to have a playground installed at the hotel and are in discussions with a number of specialists with regard to same.

I do hope we see you and your family back at The Pillo Hotel again soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying for a couple of nights at the Pillo Hotel, Ashbourne, when I travelled with a group of ladies to attend the World Flower Arranging Show at the RDS in Dublin. I was very pleased with the hotel facilities which were excellent, the staff were friendly and very helpful, the food was good. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and hope to return again myself.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Helen W,

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and take great pride and satisfaction from another 5 out of 5 rating.
Greatly appreciated.

Darrell Penney

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Ashbourne Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ashbourne
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Pillo Hotel Ashbourne? Share your experiences!