“Stunning and beautiful”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
“Stunning and beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just spent a lovely night at Castle Leslie for Valentines weekend. The place is pretty remote and you really feel like you can relax and unwind there, the grounds are beautifully maintained and we enjoyed a refreshing walk around the estate - remember to bring appropriate footwear as it can get pretty muddy! I can't emphasise enough how stunning the grounds are.

The food was fabulous in Snaffles restaurant, although as others have mentioned it is a shame the Castle restaurant has closed as I am sure that offers another totally unique experience.

The room was so comfortable, and beautifully decorated. My only slight comment would be that we were a little surprised there was no turn-down service that evening.

We enjoyed spa treatments which were excellent, and the spa staff were just lovely and very professional.

Thanks to all of you. We will definitely be back, this is really a hidden gem and SO worth a visit.

3 Thank gbtravellers
CastleLeslie, General Manager at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
22nd February 2012

Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for taking the time to write your review, regarding your recent stay with us in The Lodge at Castle Leslie Estate.

Thank you, for your very kind comments regarding your guest bed room in The Lodge and our Castle and grounds. Our Accommodation and Maintenance and Garden Team will be delighted to read your comments and praise of their continued hard work. We will take on board your comments regarding turn down service for the Lodge bedrooms.

The Lodge has a boot room for residents on the estate who want to explore the outdoors; guests will find a selection of Wellingtons of all colors and sizes to use.

We are delighted you enjoyed your meal experience in Snaffles.

The dedicated team in the Spa will be delighted to read your positive comments.

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again to discover more of the estate and its enchanting idyllic setting.

Castle Leslie Estate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
KILDARE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

stayed in Castle Leslie recently as a birthday present from my boyfriend! He had booked the Valentines package which included a two night stay in hotel, breakfast and dinner in Snaffles restaurant.

I must say I was quite apprehensive about staying in castle after reading a number of comments on trip advisor in regards the rooms and the lack of shower facilities etc. I had taught maybe the Lodge would be more my taste given my love for all things modern!!

However upon arrival in the Castle I was blown away by the architecture and beauty of the building. We quickly got checked and were assigned the ‘Seymour’ room. This was a gorgeous room, with a massive bath, breathtaking views over the estate and the biggest bath I have ever seen!! No shower unfortunately, but I would not swap the bath for a shower any day!

After we had explored our room, we wandered downstairs to have a look around, the castle was not full that night I don’t think so it was like having the whole castle to ourselves, we were able to wander around room by room one more spectacular than the other and lounge around beside the open fires. There was lovely waiter on duty in castle, he seemed to be jack of all trades and would find us in castle and get us drinks when-ever we wanted! Best service I have ever got in a hotel! Unfortunately due to the castle only been open at the weekends at the moment, it was not possible to get any food in the hotel so we did have to wander down to Lodge which is only a 2min walk or you can ask for a lift down if you want to be really lazy!!

We enjoyed drinks and pub grub in O’Conner’s bar, the selection wasn’t massive, so I think one night was definitely enough to be eating there! The atmosphere in bar was great and O’Conner’s staff couldn’t do enough for you!

When we wandered back to castle, the staff member on duty showed us around the castle some more and showed us where the cinema room was. The castle bedrooms do not have TV’s...which even though I was little worried about I did not miss it at all! The cinema room have wide selection of DVD’s and sky TV with big comfy lounge chairs!

The next day, we started bright and early with a full Irish breakfast which was yummy, the only comment I would have on breakfast, would be maybe they put out bigger bowls of cereal, the muesli went v quick!! We then wandered around the designated walking routes, to be honest we found the routes very short, with the max walking time being less than 2 hours!! When were down there again were going bring our boots and get lost on the estate. The estate is over 1,000 acres so there is sure to be more to explore than the set routes!

In afternoon we had horse riding booked, which my poor boyfriend had a very hard time booking, it took a number of emails and phone calls to get confirmation of this booking!! We both had not being riding for a good number of years and had informed the stables that we were beginners; however that seemed to go unnoticed! We were given no instructions or pointers before we set out on the hack; we were included with what seemed to be regular Saturday kids on their lesson! There was no talking during the hack and the instructor did not seem to be bothered with how we were getting on!! The horses were lovely and it was great to see Castle Leslie by horseback but I don’t think I would be rushing back to horse-riding with them again! It may be different if you went during a week-day or if you were more experienced, but as a beginner just wanting to try something new on holidays I would not recommend it.

We had our booking in Snaffles for the evening and even though we were disappointed that the dining in the castle was not available during our stay we loved the meal in the restaurant. It was a 5course set menu and it was the best set menu I have ever had. We were very impressed by Snaffles and it’s clearly popular with the locals alike as it was booked solid on Saturday night.

Over-all I really enjoyed my stay in Castle Leslie, I feel that it is worth the extra money staying in the Castle as nothing beats the Castle experience and being able to have full use of the house on your stay. I would definitely return soon and stay in a different room and experience the spa next time! It’s definitely an experience and I personally think it’s worth the premium price they charge to stay there.

Room Tip: Request an upstaires room- check out the website before travelling
22nd February 2012

Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us in The Castle at Castle Leslie Estate.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Seymours room and found the room comfortable and relaxing.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our service and our cuisine throughout your stay.

The Equestrian Centre team, will be disappointed to read your comments, however thank you for your constructive feedback and we will certainly take your comments on board.

We look forward to welcoming you both back again to discover more of the estate and its enchanting idyllic setting.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

My fiancé and i stayed in Castle Leslie this month and had a brilliant time. The rooms are very unique, interesting and eclectic but in a refined way. I really enjoyed our room which had an excellent view of the countryside and really gives you a feel for the beauty of the surroundings. Our room didn't have a shower but we both embraced this and had a lovely relaxing bath on both days. (I would suggest a jug at the bath though, for ladies to rinse out hair .. and it would be in keeping with the character of the rooms).
We had dinner in Snaffles restaurant which was excellent, I enjoy my food by my fiancé is a real foodie, so if he's happy it must be good! I thought the decor was beautiful. The staff were very friendly and helpful and certainly lived up to their reputation, if i had one quibble its a very small one that all but one waitress were turned out very neatly, the other girls had their hair pulled back but one had a long fringe which i couldn't help but notice her persistently fixing into place.... In saying that they all appeared to be very informed regarding the menu.
Breakfast was excellent and there was more than enough food and choices provided, the views over the lake from the breakfast room were absolutely beautiful.
Overall our experience was very enjoyable and we are looking forward to staying again soon.

1 Thank LEOLA2012
CastleLeslie, General Manager at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
February 13th 2012.

Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for taking the time to write your review, regarding your recent stay with us in The Castle at Castle Leslie Estate.

Thank you, for your very kind comments regarding your guest bed room in The Castle and our Castle and grounds.

Our Food & Beverage Team will be delighted to read your comments regarding the team and thank you again for the kind comments regarding the quality of our food for both dinner and breakfast.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Utterly fantastic weekend stay in the Castle. The food was outstanding in both the lodge bar and the restaurant itself. Our room was clean and had a lot of character. There are a few activities such as horse riding which you can do during the afternoon, and cant recommend them enough.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoeOr
CastleLeslie, General Manager at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at Castle Leslie Estate.

The team will be delighted to read your comments and praise, thank you again for your recognition of their efforts.

We are heartened by your kind words and recognition of our guest bedrooms, quality of our food and of our other guest facilities.

Waringstown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My two sisters and two friends ( Mum calls them her other daughters ) decided to go somewhere different as a surprise for Mum for her 70th Birthday, we couldn't have chosen better. We took her on a pamper weekend, and it was fabulous, we chilled out, laughed, enjoyed the beautiful house, had a relaxing time with facials and massages, mum was made to feel so special by all the staff, more importantly Mum loved it, we decided we would have to find another reason to stay again in 2011, one of the girls was celebrating her 50th this time, so same again, although we left it a bit late this time and thought we weren't going to be able to get a house (book early). This year we don't have anything specific to celebrate, someone suggested the
Olympics !!! Any excuse or none, we will be looking forward to our Autumnal treat in 2012.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynne T
CastleLeslie, General Manager at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at our Village Cottages at Castle Leslie Estate.

We are delighted that you have continued to choose to stay with us over these past years, thank you for your kind words and recognition of our Village Cottages.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our Spa Team and the committed team of individuals that work very hard within this department.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again to discover more of the estate and its enchanting idyllic setting.

Donaghcloney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I really had a fantastic stay in the Lodge at Castle Leslie and I just cannot recommend it highly enough.

Our room was beautiful, the staff were very friendly, efficient and extremely helpful, the food was faultless and the equestrian facilities were next-to-none. In particular, Helen and Niamh in the stables went out of their way to accommodate me and my boyfriend when we were arranging our hack.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Lodge at Castle Leslie Estate.

Thank you for your kind comments about our Equestrian Centre and the committed team of individuals that work very hard within this department.

We are delighted you enjoyed the facilities on hand, thank you for your kind recognition of our accommodation and food offering.

Ciarrigal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

My stay at Castle Leslie left me promising to return. It was far too brief with just one night.
The castle and surrounds are breath taking. The ambience is vintage luxury. Each room is unique. No modern day distractions such as tv but wi-fi is available.

I arrived late in the evening. Checkin was very friendly and efficient. there are no lifts but the receptionist did show me to my room. I stayed in Norman's room which has a 4 poster bed and a view overlooking the garden. The room was just fab.

I was too late for bar food but I got a main course of pork belly in the dinning room. The service was superb, every staff member was attentive and friendly. my dinner was excellent, presentation, service, taste - a truly amazing main course. The menu was great, i found it difficult to make a decision as all the options looked so tempting.

Breakfast was incredible the next morning. The selection ranged from yogurts, frest fruit juices, followed by choices of full irish, pancakes etc. The presentation and service was fantastic.

After breakfast, I went for a walk on the grounds, stunning.

Although a brief stay I would thoroughly recommend it and will hopefully get an opportunity to enjoy a longer stay next time.

Room Tip: If you wish to use the treatment rooms, book in advance.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ciarrigal
Dear Guest

We are heartened by your kind words and recognition of our restaurant dining experience for both dinner and breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to discover more of the estate and its enchanting idyllic setting.

Brian Baldwin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glaslough
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
Armagh City Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 1 in Armagh

Been to Castle Leslie Estate? Share your experiences!