Castle Leslie Estate
US$100
Grange Lodge(Dungannon)
TripAdvisor
1,618 results
All reviewshorse ridingcastle lesliesnaffles restaurantafternoon teahunting lodgeequestrian centrecross countryroll top bathtreatment roomsstable mewssuperior roomold worldself cateringconnors barcourse mealgrounds are beautifulbirthday treat
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I feel very sorry for a number of reviewers & for Sinead who runs the Club part of Castle Leslie quite expertly. We have stayed at the Castle & the Hunting Lodge.
My belief is the options available are not clarified-
1. Stay at the Castle, no kids, communal table, no phones, no locks on doors, good food & OK wine, & free bar- if that is your requirement. Antiques, peace, rooms beyond belief. Only go here if you are prepared for a shabby grand experience in the original bedrooms & truly feel like a house guest 100 years ago. The interiors are incredible & you can get a personally escorted tour by Sir John, who is a remarkable 91 yrs young! 400 E pps.
2. Stay at a house on the grounds, dine at the Hunting lodge or upgrade to dinner in the Castle, 120 euros for dinner-fair enough
3. Stay at the Hunting Lodge which is a four star operation, catering to Hotel guest & locals alike. This can be problematic especially in the Restaurant, BUT this is totally diferent from the Castle.
Probably to help potential travellers, TA should make the reviews separate , Casle & Hunting Lodge due to the fact that they are so different.
We stayed in the Green Room in the Castle, it is the only bedroom in the Castle without an ensuite, but there is one just down the hall & original loo & shower too. The other rooms are all different & you can check these out on the web. We enjoyed the food & the company, the breakfast was also excellent & the timings are very flexible. Staff are very efficient also.
Go enjoy but check out which option suits you & your budget first.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert W
DublinDeeG, Marketing Operations Executive at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2008

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and will pass on your kind words to all staff. We appreciate you taking the time to give your honest feedback and also for helping to clarify what Castle Leslie Estate has to offer.

I would like to take this opportunity to further clarify the options available to all guests. The Estate is broken down in the following way:

The Castle - The Castle and Pavilion is now an exclusive events venue offering the ideal location for weddings, events and all special occasions. The Castle is full of captivating charm with 20 unique bedrooms and a choice of elegant rooms to enjoy. The Castle can cater for intimate events for up to 40 people and the Castle Pavilion can cater for larger events for up to 240 revellers

The Hunting Lodge - The Hunting Lodge and stone-cut stable yard has been tenderly restored and extended, now offering 30 delightful bedrooms and two private meeting rooms. Guests and non-residents can enjoy a pint in Conor's bar or a delicious meal in Snaffles Restaurant. The Hunting Lodge is perfectly located for equestrian enthusiasts with our Equestrian centre on its doorstep. Alternatively, guests can pamper themselves with a range of organic treatments in the Victorian Spa also located in the Hunting Lodge.

The Village Cottages & Old Stable Mews
Castle Leslie Estate offers two self-catering options for our guests. The Village Cottages are twelve 4 & 5 bedroom cottages catering for up to 10 guests, just a 3 minute walk from the Hunting Lodge. The Old Stable Mews are twelve 2 bedroom mews catering for up to 5 guests on a secluded yet accessible part of the Estate. Both options are furnished to a high standard and provide an ideal base for families and groups. Guests can enjoy all the facilities on the Estate and are of course welcome to drop into the Hunting Lodge for a beer or a meal at any time.

There is a choice of activities available to all guests including horse-riding in the Equestrian Centre, pampering in the Victorian Spa, Cookery couses in the Cookery School, beautiful walks around the Estate and fishing. There is also a host of activities available in the local area including rally driving, watersports, cinemas, theatres and much more.

For more information, check out our website www.castleleslie.com

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Leslie Estate

Marketing Operations Executive

Reviewed 19 August 2008

I came for the equestrian center and stayed at the Hunting Lodge 5 days at the end of July. It was great. My room (Frosty) was comfortable, spacious, quiet and in very good taste. My only remark is that they could add a few TV channels. The Brasserie was pleasant to dine at and the service very reasonable though I must say that the food was okay (one or two dishes quite tasty) but not in any way excellent. The hotel staff was polite and helpful. I forgot my phone adapter and they looked all over the place until they found the right one for me. One day I wanted to rest at noon so immediately they sent the cleaning lady so I'll have a clean room and won't be bothered. The equestrian part of my stay was incredible - the rides outside the arena all around the estate were fantastic and the instructors lovely girls who knew very well their horses and the riding area. Had 3 SPA treatments which were very good and professional. Went one afternoon to the castle and was warmly welcomed and shown all and each one of the beautiful rooms. I shared the taxi back to Dublin with Sir John (believe they call him uncle Jack...).

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 August 2008

As part of a large family on holiday, I arrived at Castle Leslie with high expectations. We were impressed with the amenities and activities listed on the website and it seemed like a great place for groups.

Upon checking in, the accommodations were comfortable, rooms were large enough and clean.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives end. The staff seemed overwhelmed at all times They were incapable of offering details or guidance on the activities listed in the Castle website/brochure and service in general was far from prompt or courteous. Everything was extremely disorganized, and several times we were given conflicting information by different staff members. The checkout process was a nightmare.

The pub/restaurant in the hunting lodge was also disappointing. The food was fine, but we went nearly an hour after ordering to receive it. Service was rude; almost as if our presence was a huge inconvenience.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bstntravlr
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Castle Leslie does not live up to its image. My boyfriend and I have just returned from a stay at the Hunting Lodge in Castle Leslie and was not quite the experience I was expecting. The service here from start to finish is appaling, it is particularly bad in the restaurant. We had to ask for everything several times. The food is not great either.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
DublinDeeG, Marketing Operations Executive at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2008

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate people taking the time to leave honest feedback about their stay.We them as opportunities to take a look at the service we provide and allow us to ensure that no one else has the same experience. Thank-you for bringing this to our attention - we will look into the issues which you have raised.

I hope you accept our apology and hope you will revisit the Estate in the future

Marketing Operations Executive

Reviewed 4 August 2008

my boyfriend and i decided to book a nights stay here as a last minute decision on July 13th. On arrival we were taken up to our room in the hunting lodge whgich was not yet ready (approx 4pm). we were then basically abandoned and were not advised as to what time our room would be ready or indeed if anyone would let us know. Therefore we had to keep going upstairs ourselves to check on progress and eventually at about 5pm they had started cleaning it we just left our bags in and went for a drive.

we were booked in for dinner and although neither of us liked the sound of the menu we gave it a go anyway. Ordered the prawns for starter and it came with an extra helping of dead wasp in the middle of it- lovely!! Sent it back and told the girl i didnt want another but she brought me one out anyway which i refused. this completely put me off my main course so ended up eating mash. not once did the restaurant manager come over to apologise or to check if everything was ok.

i didnt go for breakfast the next morning as was still put off by my experience the night before. My boyfriend complained as we were checking out and they took my main course of the bill but i didnt feel this was enough for what was a stressful and expensive night

Stayed: July 2008

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip advisor. We appreciate people taking the time to leave honest feedback as we strive to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction at all times.

I would like to apologise about your experience and would stress that this is not a good representation of how we normally operate. With regards to the wasp, this was a very unfortunate and an isolated incident which we would like to apologise again for.

Marketing Executive