Castle Leslie Estate
Ashleigh House(Monaghan)
  • Breakfast included
The Glencarn Hotel(Castleblayney)
1,604 results
All reviewshorse ridingcastle lesliesnaffles restaurantafternoon teahunting lodgeequestrian centrecross countryroll top bathtreatment roomsstable mewssuperior roomold worldself cateringconnors barcourse mealgrounds are beautifulbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I loved, loved, loved Castle Leslie. During our trip to Ireland, we stayed in four Castle Hotels, but this one was the only one that felt like a castle. The accommodations were not "modern", more of an antique feel, but not medieval, either. We stayed in the Castle (not the Coach House or Stable Mews). We were in the "Chinese Room" which is the room directly above the castle entrance. There were very heavy blackout curtains, and also wooden shutters to cover the windows. This is an important feature if you're staying in Ireland in the summer--the sun didn't set until after 10PM and it didn't get dark until after midnight. The sun rises just after 5AM. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom interesting. It had a huge pedestal tub, but no shower head. Water pressure was outstanding, and it only took a few minutes to fill the tub. I brought my own toiletries, but used theirs instead--Handmade Soap Co, made in Ireland. No TV, but I didn't watch TV the whole time I was traveling anyway. There was wifi, so I was able to keep in touch with the kids back home. We ate in the bar, and the food was excellent. We considered the fine dining experience, but at a cost of about $200 for two people, we decided to pass. I don't eat enough to make the cost worthwhile. We walked the grounds, they were beautiful, St. Salvador's church next to the castle is the one that Paul McCartney married Heather Mills in. (Beatle trivia)
Loved every minute, would love to go back, don't hesitate (Unless you really love showers over baths and watching TV.)
A very elderly Leslie heir still lives there, and we saw him both nights we were there. He is an excellent host. Thank you, Jack, for the unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: The "Red Room" is supposed to be haunted.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travel_fan_56
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My partner and I stayed in Castle Leslie through a deal we got on Groupon. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left it was just amazing.

Reception is friendly and Owen helped us to our room and he's just so pleasent. We stayed in Anita's Room which we could not recommend enough. It is large with a separate bathroom which has a massive bath and shower. The spa was so relaxing and dinner was beautiful. The service in there is second to none. I cannot recommend Castle Leslie enough. Perfect, dream place.
And if you get a chance take a walk around the grounds or take the boat out on the lake, it is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Went to a wedding in castle Leslie and stayed in the coach house. Perfect venue for a wedding, top knotch everything! The accommodation in the coach house is of a good quality and a lot of attention to detail. Loved the bathroom toiletries... Well recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently got engaged to my Fiancée Laura, and as you can imagine we are extremely excited about beginning our search for the perfect venue to host our Wedding Day. Castle Leslie Estate was our first choice due to its location and surroundings.

In a burst of excitement the following day we couldn't wait to take a trip down to the Estate to get a feel for a number of things: the drive to the location; the grounds of the Estate; the staff on site; the food and drink …etc. We made a quick telephone call at 8am to the reception and were informed that the person we needed to speak to was Helen McManus, Events Manager.

Helen returned our call at approximately 12 noon, by which time my Fiancée and I had already set off to on our journey to Castle Leslie Estate. I passed the telephone to Laura to take the call whilst I was driving. Helen thanked us for thinking of Castle Leslie as a potential venue to host our wedding, but said that unfortunately she would not be able to see us this day, as she had a number of other appointments and due to the fact that there was a wedding being hosted in the Castle in the afternoon it would not be possible to show us around. Laura said to Helen that she understood that it would not be possible to meet with her but that we would still like to come down to take a look at the area and get a feel for the place. Helen’s response was a little surprising, she was very firm in saying that we would not be able to see the castle at all, due to the fact that there was a wedding being hosted later in the afternoon. Laura said that this is unfortunate but we would still like to come to look around the Estate, even if just to see the castle from the outside and the surrounding area. Again Helen’s response was clearly a frustrated one, saying that we would not be able to do that, and that we required an appointment to see the castle.

We left Castle Leslie Estate feeling really excited – we loved the grounds (that we saw), the staff were so friendly and went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed our experience, and the food was of a high standard. We couldn’t believe that the first place we visited we would have such a good feeling about and we set off home on cloud nine!

Helen called us again at approximately 3:30 pm and apologised for not being able to meet with us. We said that we would be very keen to arrange a date for a more formal appointment, to which she said that we would need to book quickly if we wanted to see her on Saturday, but her preference would be to see us mid-week. I then enquired about potential dates for our wedding. We are keen to have the wedding in August so I asked if the castle had any availability on the first or second Saturday in August 2015. Helen said no problem, what size is your wedding party? I said that we would have approximately between 60-70 guests. Helen’s response was that the castle would not be able to accommodate a Saturday in August unless we had 150+ guests. To our disappointment, we asked was there nothing that could be done to help accommodate us. Even if we were to pay for full exclusivity of the castle on the Saturday including paying for all the rooms at the nightly rate on the Saturday, and a number of rooms if not all of the rooms the Friday evening before, in addition to accommodation in the Old Stable Mews. She said the only way that we could be accommodated is if we paid for food and drink, equivalent to a wedding party size of 150 guests, which she would expect to be unreasonable.

Helen made it very clear that there was nothing that could be done to accommodate a wedding of 70 guests on a Saturday in August, even if the dates were available. I questioned if the dates were not booked up in August, would it not be something they would want to consider at all? Surely it would be better to have a date secured than not secured. Helens response was – that would NEVER happen.

I queried why the minimum guest requirements is not provided in any literature either online or in the brochure that we received from reception. She said that it is not provided in any literature, we would only find this information during an appointment to discuss the details.

Helen’s tone on the phone to us on both occasions was very blunt and very “matter of fact”. In particular during the second phone conversation, where she made us feel very insignificant and that our wedding of up to 70 guests was of NO importance to her or Castle Leslie.

Further to the phone call Helen emailed Laura, re-iterating some of the details of our phone conversation, finishing by saying “I wish you every success in your venue search”. Making it very clear that she did not care or want to try to help us in any way. She was more than happy that we search elsewhere for a venue.

I have to say that we are beyond disappointed, in particular with the attitude of your Events Manager. The search for a venue should be an exciting one, and although I can’t speak for every couple, of particular importance for us in selecting our venue of choice will be: 1) knowing that the people behind the venue we select will do everything they can to show us that their venue is the right one for us, and 2) that we know without question that they will go above and beyond to make the entire experience an unforgettable one (in a good way).

We have also sent a letter off to the hotel management and surprise surprise no one has bothered to reply.

I hope no one else experiences such arrogance.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
26  Thank jonathanknight7
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here last month (with our 9 month baby) and enjoyed every minute. We stayed in the lodge and were again impressed by our room and the staff were friendly and professional. The surroundings are beautiful and offer the perfect setting for total relaxation. I had a treatment in the spa and would highly recommend. We ate in the bar which was very tasty and not too expensive. The breakfast was fantastic. Cooked to order and had a lovely vegetarian breakfast. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family