“A relaxing haven in lovely Monaghan”

Castle Leslie Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
Reviewed 4 January 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Hunting Lodge in Glaslough. From the word go, the check in staff were extremely friendly & helpful. We were so impressed by the decor of the hotel -especially the lobby area. Our room was beautiful, and the bathroom was like a mini-spa with its slipper bath & old style - very in keeping with the entire hotels theme.

Our meal in the bar was very over priced - we had 2 burger meals & 3 beers which totalled €36...It was nice, but not worth that! Breakfast was lovely - very enjoyable & good irish grub!

Otherwise, we had a lovely night - very relaxing, and felt very refreshed leaving. I would definitely recommend it to anyone - but in particular - those of you looking a romantic quiet break!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,580)

Reviewed 7 December 2008

In one word amazing. We could not find fault with castle leslie the food the walks the room or the staff all were exceptional . we decided to go to castle leslie to totally chill out as we had a couple of tough weeks at work. from the moment we arrived we felt at home it was so welcoming we stayed in the hunting lodge had a few treatments in the spa and dinner on both nights. When we werent chilling out reading a book or getting treatments we went for walks around the grounds. By the time we were leaving we felt revitalised and ready to get back into the real world but we will definitely be back maybe for the new years ball - after i drop a few hints that is

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We stayed in the Hunting Lodge recently and were very disappointed. They don't offer the level of service and attention to detai to match the tariffs they charge.

We had to move from our first room because of some noise coming from the pipes above our room. Our next bedroom was quieter, but had a broken toilet seat, cracked shaving mirror and terrible smell coming from the bathroom. We complained again but all that was offered was an apology and we were still expected to pay the full tariff.

I would say this hotel is suffering from a case of "fur coat no knickers" - when you pay these prices you expect perfection. You don't expect to have to wait ages for your breakfast to be served, to spend ages catching the serving staff's attention and you don't expect soggy toast served on a plate rather than a toast rack.

I've had much better service and quality in hotels charging half the price.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barney200
Reviewed 21 November 2008

I recently stayed at the Hunting Lodge on the Castle Leslie Estate and really enjoyed my visit. It is an old Victorian Lodge (covered in rich, red Virginia Creeper during my stay) that has been restored and extended. The room was spacious, decorated in lovely muted shades, a hunting print wallpaper on part of a wall, period style furniture, victorian style radiators and a deep roll top bath in the bathroom a fabulous walk in shower and the most comfortable of beds!. The lighting in the room was subdued but I felt that added to the atmoshphere., I found the food to be very good, particularly the bar menu.

There was a map of the estate in my room which gave information on different parts of the estate and I enjoyed great walks along bridleways through old woodlands and past a beautiful lake. Horses and riders could be spotted - a safe distance away - jumping over logs and fences.

And I saw a reed wetland which apparently services the entire area. The 'Green' theme was also present in their Victorian Spa which uses an organic product for beauty treatments, (some of which sounded good enought to eat)

I found the staff very friendly and helpful and I will certainly be returning to do one of their cookery course in the new year.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We stayed at Catle Leslie, or rather the Hungtington Lodge, this weekend and we were very disappointed with the stay overall.

First off you cannot stay at or gain acces to the castle unless it is xmas or u have a private event so the advertising is completely misleading. The room we stayed in at the lodge was classed as a family room but was tiny, with extremely poor lighting, and even with limited lighting some bulbs not working and with heating that could not be adjusted. A coat stand acted as a replacement for a wardrobe as there was no wardrobe in the room. inside the door stood a lone ironing board - but low and behold no iron or nowhere to store one. To get the iron we had to call reception twice - no mean feat since it takes at least 10 minutes for the phone to be answered.
To get to the room you have to trapse through the lounge area and bar with everyone looking as you go through

Disappointing and all as the room is the food was the main disappointment - two evenings we have steak and neither evening was it cooked correctly. Why do they ask what way do you want your steak if it is not going to be cooked to your liking???? I had duckling one evening and it was cooked to a crisp on a roasting hot plate - which actually is the main issue i think in the restaurant, they leave the food under hot lamps to keep it warm from the time it is cooked to the time it is served which completely destroys the food. My partner noted that one bowl of veg was left sitting there for 10 mins before being served. The breakfast in the morning was another sorry affair. On the Saturday morning at least you got to order a breakfast or eggs of some sort but on sunday morning it was a buffet with limited supplies. besided toast with the brought to the table the only under option were mini croissants with a plate of chese and salami curling up at the corners. Even the fruit was made into a unappetising fruit cocktail and they ran out of 'bottled' orange juice.

I would not recommend this hotel for a stay - it is very isolated and with the advertised entertainment in the bar failing to materialise you are left with an early nite in the cramped room with a lack of channels to choose from.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
DublinDeeG, Marketing Operations Executive at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was most disappointed to hear that your visit wasn’t satisfactory and I wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused throughout your stay.

I have taken into account all of your comments and wish to assure you that all feedback is circulated to Management and so will be thoroughly investigated to ensure that future guests have a most enjoyable trip.

We would be delighted to have the opportunity in the future to regain your confidence in us and you can rest assured that your visit would be most enjoyable.
If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will guarantee that your stay here would be most memorable for all the right reasons.

Kind regards,

Joanne Reel

Reviewed 29 September 2008

My husband and I stayed in the castle with my parents in September 2004. It's quite funny about my stay. At first I really really didn't like the place. It looked shabby for sure and chic maybe. However, it quickly grew on me. My husband and I stayed in the Red Room of the castle.There was a write up in the room describing the history of the room, who had been born in the bed, who had died in the bed etc. By the condition of the bed I thought it might be the same mattress! Needless to say, I was quite spooked. Before dinner we went downstairs and had aperitifs. It was there that I began to relax. After that we had, what my father calls, "the best meal he ever had". It really was wonderful. By the time I got back to the room I had decided it was full of character and I liked it. The next morning we had a great breakfast. It was a very memorable one night stay

• Stayed: September 2004, travelled with family
1  Thank goodtrips01
Reviewed 24 September 2008

My friend and I decided to stop over at Castle Leslie for one night as part of a two-day driving tour up to Northern Ireland. My friend had stayed at the Castle about ten years ago and had fond memories of staying in an eccentrically appointed room in an actual castle with beautiful, if somewhat ramshackle, grounds. We weren't expecting the same experience; we knew the property had undergone a lot of operational changes and "upgrades," but our guidebook assured us that this was still an unusual and delightful destination. When I called to make a reservation, I was disappointed to hear that no rooms were available at the castle itself, but vacancies could be had at the "Hunting Lodge." This was highly misleading since there are never rooms available at the castle. It is now only available for weddings and events. We asked if we could just go inside the castle for a peek, but were told this was impossible because of an impending wedding. We then tried to take advantage of those beautiful grounds, which include a lake, countless horses, woods, and trails, but found that the trails had been barricaded at certain key points, effectively preventing any kind of extended hike. (We were also disconcerted to see a few of the otherwise healthy horses were obviously neglected, with matted manes and burr-snarled tails, and possible underfed.) The hunting lodge is basically a Courtyard Marriott that has been heavily doused with the Cute Hose. It even has a restaurant called Snaffles, or Raffles, or something like that! (I thought names like that were restricted to American airport hotel lounges!) Checking out the next morning, we found we had been billed for a variety of dinner items that we hadn't ordered, and while the front desk clerk did give us a corrected bill, she was extremely rude -- as if overpaying for our dinner was some sort of privilege that we were stupidly declining. On the positive side, the food at Snuffles or Tingles or whatever-the-heck was actually pretty good, and the rooms themselves were perfectly adequate. On the whole, however, we do not recommend Castle Leslie. You won't be welcomed at the Castle, but you will be made to feel like a hapless tourist at the "Hunting Lodge."

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
DublinDeeG, Marketing Operations Executive at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2008

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip advisor. We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment in regards to The Castle being only available for private events

In regards to the walking on the estate, we have plenty of walks and paths available for guests to walk. There does need to be some separation from walkers and horse riders to avoid accidents happening, therefore we do have some bridleways that are not accessible to walkers.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food in “Snaffles” which is the name of a bit that is placed in the horses mouth.

Thank you again and we do hope that you will return to The Hunting Lodge in the future.

Kind Regards
Joanne Reel
Marketing Executive

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glaslough
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ashleigh House
Ashleigh House
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
Corick House Hotel & Spa

Been to Castle Leslie Estate? Share your experiences!