“Unequalled Equestrian memories.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
Cambridge
“Unequalled Equestrian memories.”
Reviewed 16 June 2009

When I was living in Ireland in the early 80s, we, when we could, went to Castle Leslie to do cross country riding. I never found anything comparable again and I was delighted to bring my 11 year old daughter in May this year. We had a fantastic time, as the riding instructors matched us both excellently to horses & jumps to suit our individual ability. I don't know what we were impressed by more, the setting, the facilities, or the course. Actually, it was the horses and people at Castle Leslie that really made it so very special. My daughter had Paddy for the three days and had to be pulled out of the saddle in the end.

My wife also enjoyed the Spa and afternoon tea in the Castle, so huge smiles all round. We all loved the Hunting Lodge room we had and the big breakfast. It's a beautiful hidden part of Ireland I had not fully explored before. One day I went for a run along the estate walls, only to meet the walls of an even larger estate further on. Not long after following these astounding monumental works, I ended up in Northern Ireland. Glad I did not do that in the 80s!

Clearly a lot has been invested to make Castle Leslie a world beating experience, and I believe any horse person will just love it. And may we all be lucky enough to come back in 25 years, though I hope to be back a lot sooner!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Cambridge
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We have just returned from a really brilliant trip to the Hunting Lodge at Castle Leslie, with two daughters, who had both lost interest in riding, but being able to step right out of the hotel and into the stables and off into the woods was a joy, and they said this is what riding should be about! I could have stayed in the saddle all day. Food in bar and Snaffles restaurant was delicious, service excellent; and my wife and I ate one night in the Castle Leslie dining room, full of diners, great atmosphere and excellent food and wines. Bedrooms really comfy, staff young and delightful. Loved Sir John's tales of the old house, also wnet out on boat. The peace of this place is most memorable, we felt in another world. magic all round.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Manchester
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Stayed three nights in the Hunting Lodge at the end of May. The primary reason was to make use of the equestrian centre. I'd heard it was good and I wasn't disappointed. You literally walked downstairs into the yard which was one of the best kept and most organised I've ever seen. The horses were excellent, the tack was virtually brand new and the tack room was to die for. Thanks to Jo and Sarah's brilliant tuition and encouragement, I went from being a bit jump-phobic to attempting some small cross- country jumps in just 3 days. If I stayed a week I'm sure I would have tried a proper cross-country ride. The estate is stunning and there are endless bridleways to explore. The Hunting Lodge accommodation is gorgeous with a lovely equestrian theme and you can see the stable block from the balcony. Staff were very amenable and I was able to pop into breakfast for some cereal and return after a lesson for the cooked part. I also have to mention the spa which is well worth a visit for a spot of pampering and a much needed massage after all the riding. We also hired bikes and cycled along the lanes to cross the nearby border which was fun and a nice way to see a bit of the surrounding area. All in all a very pleasant way to spend a few days.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Wow, I feel like I stayed in a different place to some of the reviewers on this site! I wonder what makes them happy? I stayed for 3 nights at the Hunting Lodge and I think it is the most perfect place on earth! I absolutely loved everything about it - accommodation (I want to hire the interior designer), staff (all extremely friendly), food (being a veggie it was great that the chef would make whatever you wanted, however, I ate what was on the menu and it was fab), horses (Joe you are a very patient lady), spa (thanks Sinead I will definitely be back).
Went for a break from it all and got exactly what I wanted. Make sure you have a Guinness in Wrights pub in Glaslough.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
dublin
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I have just returned from a wonderful weekend in Castle Leslie, and was so impressed with the experience I was inspired to write a review for the first time. Along with five members of my extended family, I enjoyed every second of the the weekend, and there was not one sour note. The castle is set in wonderful grounds within which one can get lost, and its interior was more than I could have imagined. The visitor doesn't feel that they are in a hotel; there are no televisions or phones, or outside distractions; rather you are a guest of the castle, and while I brought a laptop and DVD in case I got cold turkey without the goggle-box, it was never turned on; this in turn led to a weekend that left me with a deep feeling of relaxation. The castle is awesome; dense with antiquities and delightful artefacts that have wonderful stories attached (a popes quill, Churchill's christening gown). It has a stunning library, billiards room, victorian conservatory, and numerous plush drawing rooms where one can relax and have complete privacy. I almost don't want to give away too much, as part of the joy of the place is discovering its little quirks and eccentricities. (The toilets themselves are a talking point!). The bedrooms are wonderful; we had six rooms, which ranged from themed rooms in the basement that all have individual characters and benefits; for example my mother's room had an enormous wetoorm, art deco style furniture and a fantastic lakeview; my brother and his wife were in The Eagle's Nest, a beautiful airy room with splendid views, balcony and vast copper bath.
The afternoon tea was a veritable feast; and we took dinner in the beautiful dining room, by candlelight, which did not disappoint. Combined with the marvellous breakfast, my only complaint with the Castle is that I may have gained a few unwanted pounds there! The rooms were spotless and every evening our beds were turned down, and the sumptuous castle robes were laid out for us.
Papa Jack, or Sir John, (who at 93 still goes clubbing every Saturday night!) gave us a terrific tour of the house, explaining the histories of different rooms and the fascinating backgrounds of some of the beautiful artworks around the house.
There are plenty of activities around the castle, or down at the hunting lodge; we took a lovely hour's horseriding, but you can hire a boat and go fishing on the lake, or take advantage of the lovely spa in the lodge; or even go hawk-walking.
The final factor that made our experience so wonderful was the staff: they were all delightful, super-helpful, friendly and exceeded at making us feel comfortable and welcome.
All in all, the best experience I have ever had in a hotel in Ireland; so good that my sister has booked a weekend for her husband's birthday in the beautiful Mauve room, and I'm saving my pennies for a return visit.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Co. Armagh
Reviewed 4 January 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Hunting Lodge in Glaslough. From the word go, the check in staff were extremely friendly & helpful. We were so impressed by the decor of the hotel -especially the lobby area. Our room was beautiful, and the bathroom was like a mini-spa with its slipper bath & old style - very in keeping with the entire hotels theme.

Our meal in the bar was very over priced - we had 2 burger meals & 3 beers which totalled €36...It was nice, but not worth that! Breakfast was lovely - very enjoyable & good irish grub!

Otherwise, we had a lovely night - very relaxing, and felt very refreshed leaving. I would definitely recommend it to anyone - but in particular - those of you looking a romantic quiet break!!

• Liked — the decor
  • Disliked — the bar prices
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
north county dublin
Reviewed 7 December 2008

In one word amazing. We could not find fault with castle leslie the food the walks the room or the staff all were exceptional . we decided to go to castle leslie to totally chill out as we had a couple of tough weeks at work. from the moment we arrived we felt at home it was so welcoming we stayed in the hunting lodge had a few treatments in the spa and dinner on both nights. When we werent chilling out reading a book or getting treatments we went for walks around the grounds. By the time we were leaving we felt revitalised and ready to get back into the real world but we will definitely be back maybe for the new years ball - after i drop a few hints that is

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — couldnt find fault with anything
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glaslough
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
#1 of 1 in Clogher
Charlemont House
Charlemont House
#2 of 6 in Dungannon

Been to Castle Leslie Estate? Share your experiences!