When I was living in Ireland in the early 80s, we, when we could, went to Castle Leslie to do cross country riding. I never found anything comparable again and I was delighted to bring my 11 year old daughter in May this year. We had a fantastic time, as the riding instructors matched us both excellently to horses & jumps to suit our individual ability. I don't know what we were impressed by more, the setting, the facilities, or the course. Actually, it was the horses and people at Castle Leslie that really made it so very special. My daughter had Paddy for the three days and had to be pulled out of the saddle in the end.
My wife also enjoyed the Spa and afternoon tea in the Castle, so huge smiles all round. We all loved the Hunting Lodge room we had and the big breakfast. It's a beautiful hidden part of Ireland I had not fully explored before. One day I went for a run along the estate walls, only to meet the walls of an even larger estate further on. Not long after following these astounding monumental works, I ended up in Northern Ireland. Glad I did not do that in the 80s!
Clearly a lot has been invested to make Castle Leslie a world beating experience, and I believe any horse person will just love it. And may we all be lucky enough to come back in 25 years, though I hope to be back a lot sooner!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle Leslie Estate, nestled on 1,000 acres of undulating Irish countryside, dotted with ancient woodland and glittering lakes, is one of the last great Irish Castle estates still in the hands of its founding family. Castle Estate is waiting to be discovered. Located in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, the Estate is only 80 minutes from Dublin. The Castle (20 individual guestroom), at the heart of the Estate, offers authentic original interiors and old-style hospitality and is a complete respite from the world. The Lodge (29 guestrooms) is the social hub of the Estate and brings locals and guests together in an atmosphere of conviviality and comfort. The Old Stable Mews and Village Cottages are the perfect spot for families and groups that want the convenience of hotel living combined with private luxury home rental. The Estate offers an idyllic setting for outdoor activity and adventure. It's the perfect place to discover the thrill of exploring the countryside on horseback or foot. You can spend a few hours fishing on one of Ireland's best-preserved lakes. Alternatively, you might prefer to enjoy a massage in the Victorian Treatment Rooms at the end of an activity packed day or relax with a book in one of our many beautiful rooms. Other activities include hot air balloon rides,falconry, kayaking, clay pigeon shooting, boating and picnics. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Castle Leslie Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel Glaslough
- Castle Leslie Estate Ireland/Glaslough, County Monaghan