Stayed at the Castle for one night last June with my wife and both loved it. Picture of castle attached
Managed to time our stay with what was probably the best weather of the year and so grounds were in full splendour and ideal to take one of the boats for a row around the lake.
As stated by other reviewers the Castle itself is an eccentric mix of styles and contents. However very enjoyable to poke around in the drawers and bookcases as never quite sure what you will come across.
Food was great - afternoon tea each day out in the garden was a feast and the evening meal was delicious.
Stayed in Shane's Room - good size and the free standing bath is main feature. Great views out to grounds and the lake (see picture attached)
Few niggly things that took away from overall experience. For the price I would have expected the room to have some complimentary tolietries - certainly for a room with a bath as main feature some complimentary bath salts/foam wouldn't have been out of place. When I asked staff for some was told that there was none available.
Also owners of the castle are undertaking work on the estate to build holiday homes and other facilities and hence sight of construction work and fenced off areas took awaty abit from appeal of the grounds.
Overall though it was ideal for a short break and would go back again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle Leslie Estate, nestled on 1,000 acres of undulating Irish countryside, dotted with ancient woodland and glittering lakes, is one of the last great Irish Castle estates still in the hands of its founding family. Castle Estate is waiting to be discovered. Located in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, the Estate is only 80 minutes from Dublin. The Castle (20 individual guestroom), at the heart of the Estate, offers authentic original interiors and old-style hospitality and is a complete respite from the world. The Lodge (29 guestrooms) is the social hub of the Estate and brings locals and guests together in an atmosphere of conviviality and comfort. The Old Stable Mews and Village Cottages are the perfect spot for families and groups that want the convenience of hotel living combined with private luxury home rental. The Estate offers an idyllic setting for outdoor activity and adventure. It's the perfect place to discover the thrill of exploring the countryside on horseback or foot. You can spend a few hours fishing on one of Ireland's best-preserved lakes. Alternatively, you might prefer to enjoy a massage in the Victorian Treatment Rooms at the end of an activity packed day or relax with a book in one of our many beautiful rooms. Other activities include hot air balloon rides,falconry, kayaking, clay pigeon shooting, boating and picnics. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Castle Leslie Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel Glaslough
- Castle Leslie Estate Ireland/Glaslough, County Monaghan