“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincar
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in another Radisson hotel recently which we loved and wrongly assumed the high standard was maintained across the chain. We also chose this hotel in Sligo for the location which is about its only good point. We go for long weekends in Sligo regularly and really wanted to find a hotel which we would use for these trips but unfortunately we are still searching.

On arriving at the hotel on a Saturday afternoon there were no parking spaces, the gardener was trimming the hedges right at the front door and blasting the cuttings all over the entrance...not a good start. Once inside children were running riot whilst we waited to check in, not the hotel's fault but still not a great first impression. During check in we were told it was hotel policy to add €50 to the price as a credit for us to use during our stay, however we explained we didn't need that as dinner was prepaid and we didn't intend on adding any more money to our bill.

We were told by the receptionist we had a "lovely room" on the second floor - the room was mediocre with stained carpet and lampshades. It was also just two beds pushed together will ill fitting sheets which revealed the dirty mattress below.

We dined in the restaurant that night as it was included in our package but we would recommend eating elsewhere in Sligo as we were not impressed at all. Starter of crayfish and salmon was okay, my main of chicken was poor (the waitress apologised to me for how it looked and assured me it looked better leaving the kitchen?!) and my partner's duck had some tin foil still stuck to it. We had desserts simply because we had paid for it but neither of us were able to take more than two bites, both the cheesecake and coconut tart were dry and tasteless. We had got a side of chips with our meal and when leaving the restaurant we were asked for the €3.50 to cover it, we had no loose change on us and asked for it to be charged to the room - this had to be checked with reception first - all this over €3.50!!!

Before we got to go for breakfast the cleaner asked could she come in at 9:45am to service our room?! Breakfast was okay - fair enough selection - parts of the cooked breakfast were cold. The waiter also forgot about our tea order, altogether it was just a bit drab. We stayed for two nights but didn't eat in the hotel on the second night.

There is still hope for this hotel; on checking out we were greeted by the most pleasant member of staff we had encountered - Anne - please get more people like Anne!!! She could not apologise enough for our poor meal and deducted the price of the side order of chips and €20 from our balance. Altogether a poor stay but a little cheer from Anne at the end went a long way to lifting our spirits!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CMG186470
Seamus_Preston, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Sligo, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear CMG 186470,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Sligo. I am extremely sorry that there were so many aspects of your stay which you did not enjoy.

It is disappointing that you found parking difficult on the day you checked into the hotel we did have our annual Bridge Congress and a number of private lunches taking place in the hotel. However, we are very lucky that we have over 350 car parking spaces which caters for the majority of our car parking needs. I certainly agree with you that it was not the ideal time to be trimming our box hedging at the front of the hotel, and in the future such work will be carried out a more suitable time.

It is the hotels procedure that if a resident of the hotel would like to charge services to their room account, that we would require a cash deposit or a credit card as a security deposit. This procedure is common practice in the hotel industry in Ireland and I am sorry if this policy was not explained to you on checking in to the hotel.

I would like to apologise to you that you did not enjoy your dining experiences in our restaurant. I am today meeting with our executive chef and food and beverage manager, and we will be reviewing your feedback in detail. I would hope that you will see a marked improvement in this area on your return following the training and standards we will have put in place to ensure consistency in achieving the levels of quality which draw so much positive feedback from our guests.

I am encouraged to read that Ann our front office manager spoke to you before your departure and she was able to apologise to you about the areas where we did not meet your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such comprehensive feedback and for giving us the opportunity to improve our service. I would be most appreciative if you had time to discuss this further with me, my number here at the hotel is 0719140008 or my email is seamus.preston@radissonblu.com.

I am genuinely sorry for your experience and would appreciate if you could pass on my apologies to your travelling companion.

Kind regards,

Seamus Preston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
KILTIMAGH, Ireland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel deserves the highest praise for its value for money, location, friendliness, cleanliness, excellent food & bar staff, beautifull pool, steam, sauna & gym. Parking is very adjacent to hotel entrance and adequate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Okay, so Radisson Blu...you expect the best.
Checked in, no offer of help with luggage (two ladies...Imagine the luggage??)

My room was very comfortable, nice large bed. Clean and spacious.
Loo roll was cheap and hairdryer had no nozzle (not good).
But.. It was fine, busy hotel, lots of conferences, nobody's perfect.

Then the disaster that was dinner commenced.
My friend ordered noodle shrimp salad and I ordered scallops and prawn.

What arrived was not what was expected. The huge pile of noodles could have been tied to a dogs collar and safely taken him for a walk. We asked the server (I think his name was simon) if they were in fact cooked, he popped one in his mouth and said " Yes, they are always like that" (obviously, he had done this before)
Some of my very minute scallops seemed undercooked.

My Main was the duck two ways (I passed on the foie gras ) with vegetables. The duck was as tough as old boots and the veg was smothered in butter.

I asked the lady server if I could have a plate of veg with no butter (dairy intolerant). She arrived back with a large plate of peeled baby potatoes (the frozen kind) and nothing else ??
When I asked 'Simon' if I could speak to the manager, he said he was on a night off and offered no compensation.

Later that night, I spoke to the gentleman on reception, he was very surprised at my tale. He said that Simon was in fact the duty manager on the night and should have dealt with my issues. The aforementioned gentleman did give my friend and I a drink on the house.

At breakfast the next morning, I requested poached egg and bacon with gluten free toast.
My poached egg arrived on a bed of regular toast and the gluten free toast came on a separate plate. If I was a coeliac I would have ended up with a BIG problem.
The bacon was so salty, it was inedible.

On check out the next morning, our dinner had been charged in full. But then, Simon had no authority did he? Despite the fact he was the duty manager??

The Radisson Blue is a lovely Hotel with a lovely Spa, but they need a new chef and a proper restaurant manager.Stay there for the ambiance, but eat elsewhere.

These 'Ladies who lunch' will not be returning to the one in Sligo

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our stay in the Radisson Blu was only overnight, but this was a clean, roomy, well-appointed hotel. The staff was superb, deftly handling a large group of tourists with speed and efficiency, and keeping a smile on their faces! The buffet breakfast was more than adequate, and the dining room staff very pleasant. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sallysue1279
derry
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stay in different hotels on a weekly basis due to my work, I have only taken the time to comment on 3 hotels in 8 years that have really impressed and radisson blu in Sligo tops them all, the staff, the rooms, the hotel in general all out of this world. It would be wrong of me to single out any one member of staff as they were all fantastic. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, Thank you for a lovely week. Charlie,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank derrycharlie
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good size rooms which are clean, Bit out of town but views make up for it,
Saff all good this was my second trip,
Breakfast is amazing all you could want and more, Bar food also good, lots of free parking

Room Tip: Smile when booking in !