Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Sligo
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincar
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I have mixed feelings after our stay here on the June bank holiday weekend. For a 4 star it should have been better. Although the receptionists were very courteous, on check in we were given room number 253 where the only view was a grey slate roof up right against the window, effectively no window, couldn’t believe it. Rang reception to request a better room, which we were given. But it was evening before we could unpack, it took till then and a second phone call before the bed was sorted. Our new room was nice, just two gripes here – the socket in the bathroom is not compatible for my electric razor, had to use one of the wall sockets in the bedroom – a first for me. The other thing is there was no shower mat. We had lunch in the bar which was good value, although the tables here and in the lounge were dirty and sticky . For dinner that evening we had reserved a table one week previously. The staff had no record, so we were shown to a table beside the kitchen, and handed the wrong menu - the “value menu” with a mumble from the waiter. Our booking included an evening meal from the main menu, not the value menu, we asked a friendlier waiter about this who apologised for the error and gave us the proper menu. Dinner was good but the vegetable portion was tiny, we could hear other diners complaining about the veg portion.

Room Tip: Avoid room 253. Big slate roof right up against the window, can't see out.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seamus O
Seamus_Preston, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Sligo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Seamus O,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel and I am disappointed to learn of your experience with us and I am extremely concerned when any guest leaves the hotel less than 100% satisfied.

I am extremely sorry that it took two phone calls to the front office team to organise a move to an alternative bedroom. I am glad you found the front office team courteous and that your new room was to your satisfaction. I am sorry that you were unable to plug in your electric shaver into the socket in the bathroom, our bathroom socket can cater for both the two pin plug options, and we have a number of adapters available from one touch service if guests require a three pin socket converter. I note your concerns about there being no bath mat in place, however all the baths in our bedrooms have an anti-slip treatment applied to their bases which negates the need for shower foot mats.

I am sorry that there was no record of your restaurant reservation and that you were initially handed the wrong menu. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your dinner and we are reviewing our current vegetable and potato portions that accompany our main course dishes, with the view to increase the size of these portions.

Ensuring a positive guest experience and reacting to our customers opinions is vital to the success of our business. We gather our guest feedback from various sources on a weekly basis and I would like to reassure you that those areas which are highlighted to us for improvement by our guests are implemented to the best of our abilities.

Please feel free to contact me directly at seamus.preston@radissonblu.com as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and hopefully you might afford me the opportunity to regain your confidence with the hotel at some stage in the future.

Kind regards,

Seamus Preston

Write a ReviewReviews (1,753)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great place to stay if you are playing golf in the area. The Radisson's breakfast is really tasty and the people are very friendly - they help plan your trip, organise taxis and/or directions to where you are going and are genuinely friendly and welcoming. It's great value - basically does exactly what it says on the tin!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This Radisson is just a half an hour away from where i live but myself and my wife have now stayed a few times for what we are calling a "sneaky stay". We can get away and be lapping up relaxation time by the side of the pool or strolling along the prom at Rosses Point a million miles from home and right on our doorstep.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in another Radisson hotel recently which we loved and wrongly assumed the high standard was maintained across the chain. We also chose this hotel in Sligo for the location which is about its only good point. We go for long weekends in Sligo regularly and really wanted to find a hotel which we would use for these trips but unfortunately we are still searching.

On arriving at the hotel on a Saturday afternoon there were no parking spaces, the gardener was trimming the hedges right at the front door and blasting the cuttings all over the entrance...not a good start. Once inside children were running riot whilst we waited to check in, not the hotel's fault but still not a great first impression. During check in we were told it was hotel policy to add €50 to the price as a credit for us to use during our stay, however we explained we didn't need that as dinner was prepaid and we didn't intend on adding any more money to our bill.

We were told by the receptionist we had a "lovely room" on the second floor - the room was mediocre with stained carpet and lampshades. It was also just two beds pushed together will ill fitting sheets which revealed the dirty mattress below.

We dined in the restaurant that night as it was included in our package but we would recommend eating elsewhere in Sligo as we were not impressed at all. Starter of crayfish and salmon was okay, my main of chicken was poor (the waitress apologised to me for how it looked and assured me it looked better leaving the kitchen?!) and my partner's duck had some tin foil still stuck to it. We had desserts simply because we had paid for it but neither of us were able to take more than two bites, both the cheesecake and coconut tart were dry and tasteless. We had got a side of chips with our meal and when leaving the restaurant we were asked for the €3.50 to cover it, we had no loose change on us and asked for it to be charged to the room - this had to be checked with reception first - all this over €3.50!!!

Before we got to go for breakfast the cleaner asked could she come in at 9:45am to service our room?! Breakfast was okay - fair enough selection - parts of the cooked breakfast were cold. The waiter also forgot about our tea order, altogether it was just a bit drab. We stayed for two nights but didn't eat in the hotel on the second night.

There is still hope for this hotel; on checking out we were greeted by the most pleasant member of staff we had encountered - Anne - please get more people like Anne!!! She could not apologise enough for our poor meal and deducted the price of the side order of chips and €20 from our balance. Altogether a poor stay but a little cheer from Anne at the end went a long way to lifting our spirits!

1  Thank CMG186470

Dear CMG 186470,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Sligo. I am extremely sorry that there were so many aspects of your stay which you did not enjoy.

It is disappointing that you found parking difficult on the day you checked into the hotel we did have our annual Bridge Congress and a number of private lunches taking place in the hotel. However, we are very lucky that we have over 350 car parking spaces which caters for the majority of our car parking needs. I certainly agree with you that it was not the ideal time to be trimming our box hedging at the front of the hotel, and in the future such work will be carried out a more suitable time.

It is the hotels procedure that if a resident of the hotel would like to charge services to their room account, that we would require a cash deposit or a credit card as a security deposit. This procedure is common practice in the hotel industry in Ireland and I am sorry if this policy was not explained to you on checking in to the hotel.

I would like to apologise to you that you did not enjoy your dining experiences in our restaurant. I am today meeting with our executive chef and food and beverage manager, and we will be reviewing your feedback in detail. I would hope that you will see a marked improvement in this area on your return following the training and standards we will have put in place to ensure consistency in achieving the levels of quality which draw so much positive feedback from our guests.

I am encouraged to read that Ann our front office manager spoke to you before your departure and she was able to apologise to you about the areas where we did not meet your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such comprehensive feedback and for giving us the opportunity to improve our service. I would be most appreciative if you had time to discuss this further with me, my number here at the hotel is 0719140008 or my email is seamus.preston@radissonblu.com.

I am genuinely sorry for your experience and would appreciate if you could pass on my apologies to your travelling companion.

Kind regards,

Seamus Preston

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel deserves the highest praise for its value for money, location, friendliness, cleanliness, excellent food & bar staff, beautifull pool, steam, sauna & gym. Parking is very adjacent to hotel entrance and adequate.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Okay, so Radisson Blu...you expect the best.
Checked in, no offer of help with luggage (two ladies...Imagine the luggage??)

My room was very comfortable, nice large bed. Clean and spacious.
Loo roll was cheap and hairdryer had no nozzle (not good).
But.. It was fine, busy hotel, lots of conferences, nobody's perfect.

Then the disaster that was dinner commenced.
My friend ordered noodle shrimp salad and I ordered scallops and prawn.

What arrived was not what was expected. The huge pile of noodles could have been tied to a dogs collar and safely taken him for a walk. We asked the server (I think his name was simon) if they were in fact cooked, he popped one in his mouth and said " Yes, they are always like that" (obviously, he had done this before)
Some of my very minute scallops seemed undercooked.

My Main was the duck two ways (I passed on the foie gras ) with vegetables. The duck was as tough as old boots and the veg was smothered in butter.

I asked the lady server if I could have a plate of veg with no butter (dairy intolerant). She arrived back with a large plate of peeled baby potatoes (the frozen kind) and nothing else ??
When I asked 'Simon' if I could speak to the manager, he said he was on a night off and offered no compensation.

Later that night, I spoke to the gentleman on reception, he was very surprised at my tale. He said that Simon was in fact the duty manager on the night and should have dealt with my issues. The aforementioned gentleman did give my friend and I a drink on the house.

At breakfast the next morning, I requested poached egg and bacon with gluten free toast.
My poached egg arrived on a bed of regular toast and the gluten free toast came on a separate plate. If I was a coeliac I would have ended up with a BIG problem.
The bacon was so salty, it was inedible.

On check out the next morning, our dinner had been charged in full. But then, Simon had no authority did he? Despite the fact he was the duty manager??

The Radisson Blue is a lovely Hotel with a lovely Spa, but they need a new chef and a proper restaurant manager.Stay there for the ambiance, but eat elsewhere.

These 'Ladies who lunch' will not be returning to the one in Sligo

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our stay in the Radisson Blu was only overnight, but this was a clean, roomy, well-appointed hotel. The staff was superb, deftly handling a large group of tourists with speed and efficiency, and keeping a smile on their faces! The buffet breakfast was more than adequate, and the dining room staff very pleasant. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sallysue1279
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincar
The Glasshouse
#2 of 8 in Sligo
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel
2 mi away
Sligo Southern Hotel

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Sligo? Share your experiences!