“Lovely scenery”

Island View Riding Stables
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Grange
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: For the time of your life on horseback! Island View is a family run Trekking centre and riding school that offer horse riding for all- beginners or experienced, children or adults. Beach rides, lessons, day rides to the stables' private island, residential holiday packages and short breaks are available all year round.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My boyfriend and I had some time to kill and I suggested a 2 hour beach ride. I have ridden a little before and I love being around horses. It was well organised and we were made to feel welcome. Once paired with a horse we set off and the ride was enjoyable, the scenery was very nice although the beach needs a major clean up, riding over lots of rubbish but I guess the stables are not responsible for this. The country lanes were very picturesque and our horses were lovely. The only niggle I have is that we had to ride in single file, the horses seemed to be trained to do this and I found it frustrating having wanted to spend some time with my partner but we weren't able to speak as he was behind me. It would've been nice whilst on the beach to ride in a group so it feels more of a shared expericnce where you can talk to one another. I completely appreciate single file is necessary on the roads for safety reasons.

bobbels1, Owner at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time for this review. We are one of very few riding stables where complete beginners and experienced rider can go on beach rides together and we send two or more guides to make sure everybody gets to go at a pace that is enjoyable and safe for them . We would split the ride for some time so that the seasoned riders can have a faster spin on the beach .The compromise that the experienced rider has to be willing to make is accept that for safety reasons we need to have the riders in single file on the stretches where both levels are together. Riding side by side on the open beach can cause horses to get competitive and could result in the beginner's mount becoming faster than would be comfortable for that beginner rider.
Also the order in which we place riders is determined by the temperament of their horses and the experience of the rider,
Each and every one of our horses has a different temperament , size and build and we always aim to get the best match for our riders ' size and ability.
We know our horses extremely well and the horses know their job well which allows us to run an extremely safe operation in a stunningly scenic location .
PS. If you wanted to go for a romantic ride you should come back on Valentines day where we make a special effort to have couples as just couples and a guide .

Reviewed 29 April 2014

took a 1 hr beach ride, there were 4 of us of varying levels, they assessed our skill level & broke us up when we got to the beach to ensure everyone enjoyed the ride, got to go for a great canter on the beach, horses were perfect!! would definitely recommend :)

bobbels1, Owner at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this lovely review . Hoping to meet you again some time!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The linchpin of our family trip to Ireland was three days riding, as our girls love horseback riding and we love being around horses. Each day the girls came back from their 3 - 5 hour ride with huge smiles on their faces and "best day ever" descriptions. I took carriage driving lessons from Ursula and she is a wonderful teacher and runs a great barn with great staff. I cannot recommend it enough, whether you are a novice at riding or expert. The staff is great, the horses are terrific, and the scenery amazing.

Thanks, Barb,for the lovely review. It was a pleasure having you (or as they say in Irish English " yeese" ) ladies here . I hope you will keep up the good connection with the box seat and the horses mouth and I wish the girls good luck with your new horse.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Back in May, where does the time go (?) a family friend and I decided short notice to go riding. Island View were instantly friendly and accommodating and slotted us in to a suitable morning ride. Our horses were well chosen, with spark, but completely controllable, and after signing up and saddling up we were off! Our leader Ursula was knowledgeable and adapted the ride to the abilities in the group. Beaches, dunes, mountain foothills and stunning views - a wonderful 2 hours.

1  Thank NaiShep
bobbels1, Owner at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our services. We are happy to take clients at short notice - subject to availability of course - so a ride on the beach is only just a phone call away!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I had the pleasure of enjoying an hour ride here 2 weeks ago... it was the most wonderful experience. I had not been on a horse in about 15 years and the staff here were exceptional in making everyone feel safe, and at ease. They were extremely helpful and friendly. We had the chance to ride along the nearby country lanes and then onto the beach. Our group was made up of people of all ages and everyone really enjoyed the experience - the horses also seemed very well looked after. Highly recommended if you are in the area!

1  Thank Mary0_11209

Thanks very much for your lovely review. It means a lot to us.