“Lazy chef”

Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Mullaghmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I along with two friends booked this hotel for two nights bed and breakfast, on arrival on Sunday evening we asked the waitress if we could see a menu for dinner and I aisked her if she would check with the chef if one of our party could have an omelette for dinner due to a medical problem with his swallow, she came back and told us the chef refused as he said it was not on the menu,we then spoke to the manager George, who went to speak to the chef with the request, and he returned and said he would not an omelette, so we went across the street to another hotel and I spoke with the receptionist on duty and asked her if she would check if their chef could cook an omelette and she came back and said "That will not be a problem" so the four of us had dinner in a hotel that we were not staying in, though I am not surprised that the chef in the Pier Head hotel can't cook, judging by what most of the other posters said regarding the food. One thing is for certain we will stay in another hotel in the future, one that has an obliging chef!! There are plenty of willing chefs unemployed , start advertising!!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Clare F

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Pier Head is in a great location. Overlooking a lovely beach on one side, with the wonderful Mullaghmore Head walk/drive on the other side. Rooms are comfortable but could do with a little tlc. Thin walls made for difficulty in getting to sleep, but the bed was comfortable. Staff are friendly although the bar staff could be a little more attentive (a long wait for a menu). However, once service began, everything was fine - good variety on the menu, good prices and tasty hearty food. I had an early start next morning and appreciated the night porter's efforts in ensuring the continental breakfast was laid out in time for me. Overall, it's a good hotel offering a comfortable room at a good value price, but would benefit from a little extra attention to detail.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Rob1060660
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just returned from a family get together at the Pier Head. It is set in an area of outstanding beauty and we had a tremendous weekend. The staff are so friendly and efficient and the hotel is clean. No complaints about the food either and it was fab value for money. There are scuff marks yes and I hope they invest in some new beds and quilts in time. None of this took away from our enjoyment. If you wanted a luxury couples break this is not for you but as a family base, it's is excellent.

Room Tip: We had a corner room with a great view of harbour, beach and mountains. A little loud with the livel...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pushypony
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived Sunday 27th with husband and 11 month old baby. Carvery lunch still going in the restaurant but a large food trolley with food sitting in a bain marie didn't really appeal. We opted for the bar menu. The bar was really busy but we secured a table with a nice view. Scanning the menu we did discuss how expensive the menu looked for what they offered but hoped that the quality would be reflective. We both ordered soup which was lovely but at best luke warm in temperature. The wheaten bread on the side was delicious. My husband ordered the cod and chip and never one to complain felt the fish was also luke warm. The fish was served on a tiny plate and the chips on a separate plate.....????? An annoying eating experience. The biggest let down was my beef stroganoff or should I say their interpretation of one. It was beautifully presented and certainly looked promising. The sauce was absolutely disgusting. I can only hazard a guess it was a packet sauce or the chef had tipped half a pack of mixed dried herbs into the sauce. It was really very poor. I was very unwell after the small amount I did eat and spent the rest of the evening sucking ant acids. Did I complain..... no. We had about 4 different servers all very young inexperienced staff. I was just so disappointed I just paid and left. I never complain but then I have never felt so awful after eating out. We are regular visitors to this area and have enjoyed several meals here over the years but alas I feel this will be the last.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SSRob60
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews, however..although yes, carpets are worn and generally the hotel is tired...but it's a wee gem! Staff could not have been more friendly, room basic but really comfy and clean , bathroom immaculate if a little old..had 4course meal in the restaurant...fab food, service really excellent, stunning views, great value..24.95 euros for 4courses, huge portions, beautiful! Breakfast lovely...fruit, cereal, yogurt, toast, Irish cooked breakfast, staff great!! Don't be put off by over fussy travellers...we had a great time, stunning location, fab food and friendly efficient service! We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.. And coffee/ tea making facilities.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mel M
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a two night break. The location is lovely and very picturesque with the beach just a few minutes walk away. The food in the bar was very nice and the bar staff were very helpful. The room was clean and we had a lovely view of the ocean. The only negative we found was the bed was somewhat uncomfortable (hard mattress). It wouldn't put us off staying here again though. Overall we had a lovely time

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James O
Reviewed 15 July 2014

On our ten-day tour of Ireland and Northern Ireland, my wife and I ate and drank in 20 different establishments, usually aiming for above-average, and usually succeeding thanks in part to good planning. But we found ourselves in Mullaghmore without a plan, so ate at the Pier Hotel. I had the veg curry, while my wife had the spinach and ricotta tort. The waitress was fine, but the food was mediocre at best. Probably a fine place for drinking.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank abecedarius
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullaghmore
The Glasshouse
7 mi away
Great Northern Hotel
Great Northern Hotel
#4 of 5 in Bundoran

Been to Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!