All reviewsour table was readyperiod styleopen firethe early birdold styleold housebeautiful roomrelaxing weekendlovely atmospherethree nightstop floorenjoyable staymost enjoyable eveninglismorestartersloungecabbage
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I booked this because it popped up as a well-rated hotel on my drive. I’m glad I chose it.

This is a large old house. The main draw is the bedroom itself. The white-carpeted bedroom is capacious and conveyed both a sense of luxury and an owner who cared. The toilet had a bath, something I had not seen in the B&B's I had hitherto stayed at. Amenities were of a good quality.

But because it is old, not everything is up to modern specs. The lock to the room is the old skeleton key type. The kettle was on a shelf near the door. Because of the size of the room, it was a little walk to the kettle. And the TV, which was already small, looked diminished, especially if you wanted to watch from bed.

There are other charms. At the lounge, even though it was summer, the fireplace had a fire going.

I had dinner there. After reading the reviews, I ordered the fish, which was good.

I suppose the restaurant must be of a reasonable quality as when I was there, the dining room had a party of 20. Which was still fine as the room was long and the 20 guests were in a section that could be closed off.

This is a place I will definitely consider returning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This a lovely place to spend a weekend for complete relaxation. We were on a bus tour and the whole group loved the meal here. We had drinks on the lawn in beautiful surroundings and served without fuss. Dinner was Hake or cornfield chicken.I had the hake with red spiced cabbage and new potatoes and dessert was a rhubarb crumble with homemade ice cream. Well done RH.
Hope to go there again Sooon.
Staff were very attentive and pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2013

A group went to Richmond house for special occasion dinner. Some had been there before but I had not.A lovely drive in to the house which was very well mantained and charming. Very welcoming waitress showed us into a beautiful room where we were able to have drinks while chatting and looking through menus. A great choice on the menu though some may think it a little pricey . Everyone enjoyed their meal though I have had better tiramisu. Good choice in wines and those drinking house white thought it very good. Well worth the visit and will return when in the area again.

Room Tip: Food was excellent though some might think it a little pricey , for this reason I gave it very good instead of excellent
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I recently spent 2 nights in Richmond House and really enjoyed the B/B part, great breakfast and big rooms but could do with a bit more heating. We decided to eat our evening meal there also for convenience sake. We were very disappointed with the food, as a matter of fact I could not believe my steak could be so burned and still find it hard to beleive a chief grilled it, veg appeared to be left over from the night before. As for the lady who served us the wine, we believed she was on commission, so much so, when she filled 4 glasses with wine there was none left for person who tasted the wine. She should be thought how to pour and serve wine. I find it so off putting when a wine glass is almost filled to the top.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dutchessoflauderdale
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Had an overnight stay with evening meal in April. Although the weather wasn't great, it was to our advantage as we read papers & relaxed over coffee & guinness cake beside the cosy fireplace. We were recommended Richmond Hse for the food and we were not disappointed. The menu is generous ( nice to see more than token fish dish) in it's variety and the emphasis is on good quality food, well presented. The dinner was very good quality and we were very pleased with the food and the staff were politely efficient in their service. Breakfast , in as much we could savour more food, was also very good with lovely selection of fresh fruit and fresh juices.
Rooms are full of charm and really appreciated the nice touch of closing the shutters and heating the bed for us.
If you want tranquility, pleasant surroundings and lovely food then put this on your list.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple