“What an experience”
Review of Richmond House

Richmond House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cappoquin
Reviewed 20 August 2013

It was a very memorable experience to stay at Richmond House, a 300 year old building in Cappoquin, Ireland. My wife, 2-year old daughter and parents-in-law were given the 2 rooms at the top of the building, while there was no lift, the rooms were amazing - roomy, comfy and a great place to have a base to visit the sights to see in the area, such as Lismore and Mount Melleray Abbey. Food was fantastic and the staff were great, I would definitely stay here again next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms at the top of the building, if availabe
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Carlos V
There are newer reviews for Richmond House

Reviewed 28 July 2013

You stay here for the restaurant. We returned again this year and were impressed yet again. The husband (Mr. Deavey) changes his menu by the DAY depending upon what just arrived in fresh. My wife had the duckling twice in a row and swears that she's never had better in France. The breakfasts are OUTSTANDING ... continental or full-Irish. The wine menu is impressive (typically a weakness in Ireland) and relatively affordable.

The room was charming and bright, and furnished a la 2001. Not a problem, though. The important thing it that the beds was super-comfortable.

The garden is charming.

TIPS :
1.) Go fly fishing in Ballymcarbery with Andrew or Kevin!
2.) Have tea at Barron's bakery

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RogerZurich
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The Richmond house is very charming, and the estate is large and nice to walk around. The absolute best quality about this place is their restaurant. We had a wonderful dinner and breakfast there, that was definitely worth the money. Everything was fresh and of good quality. The room we stayed in was fairly large, but it felt it was in need of updating.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meaghan M
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I booked this because it popped up as a well-rated hotel on my drive. I’m glad I chose it.

This is a large old house. The main draw is the bedroom itself. The white-carpeted bedroom is capacious and conveyed both a sense of luxury and an owner who cared. The toilet had a bath, something I had not seen in the B&B's I had hitherto stayed at. Amenities were of a good quality.

But because it is old, not everything is up to modern specs. The lock to the room is the old skeleton key type. The kettle was on a shelf near the door. Because of the size of the room, it was a little walk to the kettle. And the TV, which was already small, looked diminished, especially if you wanted to watch from bed.

There are other charms. At the lounge, even though it was summer, the fireplace had a fire going.

I had dinner there. After reading the reviews, I ordered the fish, which was good.

I suppose the restaurant must be of a reasonable quality as when I was there, the dining room had a party of 20. Which was still fine as the room was long and the 20 guests were in a section that could be closed off.

This is a place I will definitely consider returning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This a lovely place to spend a weekend for complete relaxation. We were on a bus tour and the whole group loved the meal here. We had drinks on the lawn in beautiful surroundings and served without fuss. Dinner was Hake or cornfield chicken.I had the hake with red spiced cabbage and new potatoes and dessert was a rhubarb crumble with homemade ice cream. Well done RH.
Hope to go there again Sooon.
Staff were very attentive and pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2013

A group went to Richmond house for special occasion dinner. Some had been there before but I had not.A lovely drive in to the house which was very well mantained and charming. Very welcoming waitress showed us into a beautiful room where we were able to have drinks while chatting and looking through menus. A great choice on the menu though some may think it a little pricey . Everyone enjoyed their meal though I have had better tiramisu. Good choice in wines and those drinking house white thought it very good. Well worth the visit and will return when in the area again.

Room Tip: Food was excellent though some might think it a little pricey , for this reason I gave it very good...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I recently spent 2 nights in Richmond House and really enjoyed the B/B part, great breakfast and big rooms but could do with a bit more heating. We decided to eat our evening meal there also for convenience sake. We were very disappointed with the food, as a matter of fact I could not believe my steak could be so burned and still find it hard to beleive a chief grilled it, veg appeared to be left over from the night before. As for the lady who served us the wine, we believed she was on commission, so much so, when she filled 4 glasses with wine there was none left for person who tasted the wine. She should be thought how to pour and serve wine. I find it so off putting when a wine glass is almost filled to the top.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dutchessoflauderdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cappoquin
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel (ADULTS ONLY)
Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
#3 of 3 in Dungarvan
Walter Raleigh Hotel
Walter Raleigh Hotel
#1 of 7 in Youghal

Been to Richmond House? Share your experiences!