“Very nice place to be, love the Vee with Rhodondenrons”

The Pilgrims Rest Hotel (ADULTS ONLY)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cappoquin
Deventer, The Netherlands
“Very nice place to be, love the Vee with Rhodondenrons”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Spacy room, good warm tap, beautiful view, lovely garden to read a book, do some embroidery or just enjoy the sun and the view.
We enjoyed the company of the family and hope to see them again. The first day Chris advised us to see The Vee with the hills ful of rhodondendrons, we went twice. You need to see them.

Room Tip: Follow the signs to Mount Melleray, to find this hotel on top of the mountain, near the monnastery
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeltjeAt100rozen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

There is already another review from September 2012 stated that the owner seems arrogant : It seems that it didn't change, neither improve on that up to this date (June 2014).

On Wednesday 11th June 2014, I was biking around Cappoquin and looking for a place to stay for 1 night. I called late on Wednesday 11th June 2014 evening, a bit before 9:00pm, and asked if the hotel may still have 1 bed available for 1 night. I explained that I was biking nearby, and that I was roughly 15/20km away from Cappoquin.

I was told by the person on the phone, that there was no issue with the bed, but that the hotel reception was closing at 10:00pm, but as this person was stammering a bit, someone else, a man (I assume the owner from the confident tone of voice and the decision that was taken) took over the call.

I explained again my story to this guy, and explained that as I was biking, it was not likely that I could be at 10:00pm at the reception, but that I was confident to be able top make it for 10:30pm (as I have a fast Electrically Assisted Bike), but I explained that I could not honestly ensure it.

He explained me that I should have booked before, but I explained that I rarely do that when I am biking, as it is sometimes hard to plan long in advance the arrival time as they are more risks with a bike, than a car (puncture,…).

At this point, the guy (again, likely the owner), as I honestly explained that I could not promise to be there at 10:30pm, greeted myself with a "sorry, we are not interested" on a quite rude, unwelcoming and arrogant tone of voice.

I understand that it was maybe not possible to stay at that hotel that night as I would likely have arrived 15/30mn after the closure of the reception (10:00pm), but from the tone of voice, I definitely felt that the guy did not have any people skills and was more interested in the money he would make from myself.

The only thing I am wondering if what would have happened if I would have booked in advance, as I would have arrived late anyway (so I would have pay, but the reception would still be closed) ? Would have had to find a different place and pay a 2nd time ?

Instead, I arrived a bit after 10:00pm at the Toby Jug in Cappoquin city centre. Although it was late in the evening, the owners Mary and Andrew greeted myself with a warm welcoming. They took care of myself and spontaneously kindly offered to put my bike inside for the night (which, is very nice to avoid any risks of vandalism on the bike).

So if you are looking for a place where you would be felt welcome, then go the Toby Jug: the owners are very nice and warm :).

NB: the fact that I was a bit after 10:00pm in City centre, and that coming from Waterford, I confirm that I would very likely reach the Pilgrims Rest Hotel before 10:30pm

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank Nicolas D
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked this hotel for 2 nights as we were traveling around the area. David and Mary were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms are comfortable and clean, bed was very good, large bathroom, and there was even hairdryer in a bedroom drawer.
Breakfast (extra cost) was a good selection of cereals, yogurts, fruit, toast, all followed by a full cooked Irish breakfast - too much! The evening meal (extra cost - 20 euros for 3 courses) is chosen from a small menu but you get very good portions of home cooked food. There is complimentary tea and coffee available in the front room for the duration of you stay.
David is willing to advise you about any of the local places to visit.

Room Tip: Any room as it is a tranquil and quiet area.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robert740
Pilgrimsresthotel, Manager at The Pilgrims Rest Hotel (ADULTS ONLY), responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you very much for this review. You kindly gave us 5 out of five on all points. Shame Tripadvisor only recorded a score of 4. Someone in their office apparently cant count LOL
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

10+ for this hotel David and Mary gave us a warm welcoming stay nothing was to much trouble cannot wait for revisit so peaceful and relaxing.Rooms where comfortable, food was delicious.Tea and coffee station all complimentary throughout stay.Best BB so far that I have stayed in on trips to Ireland.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I booked a room by internet without looking at the map and when we tried to get there, we were lost, it was already nigth, a really dark , foggy and rainy nigth... but thanks to the help of some locals we finally arrived. We didnt know what to expect, a hotel in the middle of nowhere!

We got in and a lovely gentelman gave us a very worm welcoming, he walked us until our room, we were surprised by the size, cleanliness of it and it was a really nice tocth from him to have the room already heated.

We decided to stay for dinner and what a great experience! David took fantastic care of us and his wife Mary coocked for us a deligthfull dinner, all local fresh products!

For breakfast is possible to choose betwen continental or Irish, we went for continental (6 eur) and we had so much to choose from, we ate as much as we could but David insisted to offer even more!

We didint know what or where to go so we asked for advise to David who recommended us few places all around. What a place!, the nature, the scenaries! We had an amazing day thanks to David and Mary's recommendations!!!

We recommend The Pilgrims Rest Hotel to everyone!!! We will be back, next time on porpuse.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank torrasm5
Tallaght, Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in The Pilgrims Rest Hotel New Years Eve and New Years day. Dave and Mary could not have been more obliging as to our shock we arrived at the hotel to find our booking had been cancelled due to a problem with booking.com. The Hotel was in fact closed. As it was starting to get dark and very cold we were worried we would not get anywhere else and would have to take the drive back to Dublin. Dave had a look to see if there where any other hotels nearby that we could book but because of the night that was in it they were way out of our price range. So Dave and Mary being the type of people they are heated a room and gave it to us for the two nights at the discount price we had seen on booking.com. We were delighted and so grateful. The hotel is lovely and homely, our room was spotless with a bed we could not get out of, an orthopedic mattress which I never experienced in a hotel with less than a 4star rating. We could not have had a more relaxing stay anywhere else if we tried, we will definitely be returning in the summer time when the Irish weather is kinder to us. Thank you so much Mary and Dave :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9.. The bed was AMAZING and lovely views...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa H
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed over the Christmas period, open log fire, plenty of wine and chocolates. This is a family run hotel, they are so welcoming and attentive. Good Value for money, comfortable and beautiful surroundings. Really enjoyed it, will be back again..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Harold J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cappoquin
Lawlor's Hotel Dungarvan
#1 of 2 in Ardmore
Hearn's Hotel
Hearn's Hotel
#6 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to The Pilgrims Rest Hotel (ADULTS ONLY)? Share your experiences!