“What has happened?”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We have visited this restaurant many times over the years , it's signature "pan fried fillet of beef" has long been a favourite , however , we were disappointed this time . I had read a few of the reviews before arriving and I am sorry to say that they were correct . In past times you would be lucky to be able to squeeze in for a table , this time there were only two other diners on our arrival who left soon after and two more arrived as we were finishing the meal . Whilst I cannot say the meal was bad it was microwaved! There was only the owner and one member of staff there, and on ordering two portions of the beef we were asked how we liked it cooked ! Why bother if it's not freshly cooked? There was no smell of a working restaurant and we presume the short wait we had was while the jacket potatoes were cooked . The portions are not huge and not cheap . I don't think we would return unless we read of a return to when the meals were freshly cooked and presented .

3  Thank totty01
There are newer reviews for McAlpin's Suir Inn

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is a quaint inn situated in Cheekpoint, county Waterford. Six of us dined there and unfortunately they didn't have two of the dishes on the menu. Nice if you're into seafood but too expensive for what it is.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Greeted by a very rude owner/manager at the bar. After ordering our food he approached us in an abrupt manner and basically growled at us to turn down the video on my iPhone that my 3 yr old son was watching. I assure u it was not loud by any means (i could barely hear it and i was beside him). The pub/restaurant was quite noisy at the time. My son was sitting extremely quite at the time and is extremely well behaved.We were extremely upset, ate our food and left.

5  Thank Powerjean
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Over the years McAlpins has been one of my favourite restaurants and I have often recommended it to others. The menu was always the same but that was OK because it was good. I was visiting Waterford last week and, having not been for over a year, I visited McAslpins with my parents. While the service is always very friendly I thought the food was not good, especially given the prices that were being charged. The crab pie (always my favourite) was watery and tasted like it had been microwaved, the crumb on top was soggy. The fish pie was nuked until it was burning. The crumble was gooey and sticky, undercooked and then microwaved and not at all crumbly. I understand that sometime dishes have to be prepared in advance but if all I'm going for is microwaved pre-prepared food, I can get ready meals from M&s. For €18 for a main course I'd expect a little better.

2  Thank Grainne C
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

So its a bit over priced, but the food is pretty good and consistent.

The staff and owners are really nice and you always feel welcome.

One if the best in the area.