“unique and special wedding venue”

Marlfield House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gorey
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We recently held our wedding here and were thrilled with our day. In the run-up to the wedding we had minimal dealings with Marlfield, as we took them at their word that they would organise everything and they certainly did. It was particularly important to us that all our guests would have a great meal, and one of our worries was that it would be difficult to maintain a high standard for a large group, but the chef and staff pulled it off brilliantly. Incidentally breakfast was a particular highlight, gorgeous menu with some really interesting dishes and all cooked to order. And when ordering tea or coffee in our room, little touches like the delicious home-made biscuits always made it a great experience.

We were also pleased to hear afterwards how staff members dealt with small issues and assisted guests with specific needs without needing to call on us, so we really couldn't recommend them highly enough for taking all the stress and organisation out of the day. Everything we asked for was done quietly and without fuss.
We also loved our rooms and the suites were just stunning. This hotel has a very unique character so it's not the ideal spot for someone who prefers large, modern hotels. But if you want something with great flair and individuality, this is the place. It felt like home for us for a few days. One suggestion would be that the ensuites in some rooms could do with updating, particularly the showers, (no issue with water temperature or pressure, but we did have a minor flooding incident by using a shower mounted on a bath wall without any shower screen! - and again it was dealt with very quickly and efficiently by staff). However, from some of the other rooms we've seen there were no such issues so perhaps our suite was an isolated case.
In terms of the public areas, the restaurant, bar, drawing room and the gorgeous gardens, we loved everything about it and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: spoil yourself with a suite!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Afafa10

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here in Sept/October as part of a weekend out of Dublin to celebrate her birthday. We haven't had time to write a review since, so here it finally is.

1) Friendliness/warmth: this establishment, quite simply, doesn't do it. The senior and reception staff were polite but decidedly unfriendly. Rarely in Ireland have I been so acutely aware of the difference between both qualities. The sole exception was the local girls who served us dinner. They were warm and friendly. The management was going around like peacocks. The entire experience was akin to stepping back into a timewarp of the Anglo-Irish Ascendancy - the friendly native waitresses; the conceited Anglo-Irish owners (all across the house that "big house" Ascendancy heritage is advertised). On the night we were there, we appeared to be the only people in the bar after dinner with Irish accents; everybody else had English accents. In summary, culturally this was a very alien experience to both of us. Curiously, we stayed in Dunbrody recently and despite the similar Anglo-Irish historical background of that hotel, we were made to feel very welcome. It had warmth.

2) Overpriced: It was ridiculously overpriced for what you're given. It's "old world" alright but neither classy, sophisticated old world (i.e. newly restored or new furniture in old style) nor old world escapism from commercialism. For example, they still have cheap, old televisions sitting on a cheap table in the rooms when more sophisticated luxury hotels regularly have no tv in the room or have one built into the wall and not taking space up by sitting on a clunky table like in a cottage. For the money we paid, we expected much more investment in property and style. We stayed in the Ritz Powerscourt the following night for the same price (actually, the 5* Ritz was a small bit cheaper), and the standard of accommodation was incomparably greater. Ineffably so.

3) Service: Upon check-in we were asked would we like help with our bags. As there was only the lady who was checking us in visible I said I'd manage. In a 3* somebody would call for other staff to help. Not here. Are they too mean to have somebody available to do that? In the Ritz Powerscourt the following night there was no shortage of people to help. The difference struck us both.

4) Meanness and myopia: First, the dinner menu which we were shown while waiting in the bar was €64 per head. We were not given the choice of any other menu by the waiter/bar man, as one would be in most restaurants. I was not going to spend €128 (at least) on dinner when I can get a Michelin * dinner for less in Dublin. We decided to drive into Gorey and eat in one of the restaurants which received a better rating on Tripadvisor. We said to the waiter that we had decided not to eat in Marlfield. A lady working beside her overheard and asked why. With people walking past, I reluctantly said that I found the menu too expensive. Then, and only then, were we told that there was indeed a three course and even a two course menu. This is awful form to make a guest get to that stage because this hotel wanted to grab as much money as possible out of their visit rather than give guests the option of less expensive menus.
As mentioned we were staying in Marlfield as a treat for my wife's birthday and the hotel was notified of this in advance. In any hotel which markets itself as a luxury hotel the management throw in something which costs them little/nothing as a kind gesture. Not here, never mind a free room upgrade. They just don't actually seem to be au fait with the concept of nurturing repeat business and generating goodwill. Given that this is a very small country where such things matter more, this meanness and shortsightedness was pretty astounding actually. In sharp contrast, in the Ritz the following night they managed to leave her a lovely card (written in Irish and English, mind you) and chocolate in the room. In the Ritz, when I went down before dinner the waiter saw me writing her card and took the initiative to ask me was it a special occasion. I told him and he came out with a small cake for her at dessert time. Guess which place we speak highest of? Basic cop-on.

There is an abundance of superb, top quality luxury accommodation across Ireland available at reasonable prices, staffed by warm, friendly people and run by management which is more concerned with getting your repeated business rather than ripping you off on your one visit. This place is, alas, not among them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
20  Thank PeadarODoirnin
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel was recommended by a friend who has travelled in Ireland a number of times. We can see why. With only 19 rooms it is very intimate and the personal service first rate. The dining room is very pleasant and the food and both dinner and breakfast is outstanding. That said we noteda couple of limitations which may be of concern to some: Our room was a distance from the reception area, so internet access required taking our devices to the reception area. OUr bath had a plumbing issue which they were unable to address, perhaps to be expected in a very old building. It did not seriously detract from our enjoyment of the hotel. It is worth noting that this is an expensive establishment, particularly for food and drink, and notwithstanding the overall quality. 64 euros per person for dinner, plus gratuities and expensive wine list should be noted. ..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pieter S
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Marlfield House last March. Got a great room rate. Reception was a little slow and rude. She shouted out to us from her office to ask if we were staying for dinner! We had to fill out a card with some personal details name, address, car reg. Etc.. About an hour after check in while down in the lobby I realised our details were still left out for anyone to see. That evening we went out for dinner and asked if we would need a key to get back in we were told that we were to return before 11.30 felt like my mother gad just given me my curfew for the night! Overall the hotel is lovely with beautiful grounds and breakfast was delicious. Customer service at reception needs a complete overhaul.

• Stayed: March 2013
7  Thank san84
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Marlfield House in Gorey - stunning gardens - fantastic welcome and staff - delicious food and wine...Surroundings are just beautiful - very good value - only an hour from the city - well worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Denise28027
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed in Marfleld House for one night at civil partnership, and was overwhelmed by both the welcome and the courteous staff. The staff could not have been more helpful and I have to say caring also. The hotel itself was beautiful, careful attention to detail in every way. The homely atmosphere and professional staff made my stay a wonderful experience. My room was beautiful and took care of all my needs as a single guest, I could not have asked for a nicer place to lay my head. The food was outstanding, from evening meal to the breakfasts an extremely delicious feast. The grounds at the hotel were amazing, my idea of a hidden away paradise. You can find heaven in Gorey, and it is firmly placed at the family run Marlfield House. I would have no hesitation in recommending a stay to anyone who is looking for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ellen M
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I had lunch today in Marlfield House and it was delicious. No complaints at all there, love the house, love the atmosphere, very helpful and friendly staff, scones to die for but what is the story with their coffee. It's woeful. It's my second time to visit the hotel and I took a chance this time ordering a coffee because it wasn't great the last time either but I went for it and it might as well have been an instant coffee it was so bland and watery. I mentioned it before leaving and hopefully things will improve there. It's not a major complaint but it was disappointing and at €3.50 a cup, that's pricey. I'd happily pay €3.50 for a good Americano coffee but this was not the case here. Also I'd order a half portion of scones, full price €5.50, I was charged €3.50 for one scone. That didn't make sense. Last point: broken glasses in the water features at the front of the house is not a good look. Surely staff passing through there must have seen them. Sorry, I know the review seems very negative, but I really like the place. High standards need to be set and kept. Marlfield House is the kind of place where you can feel very special and its a real treat to go there. Please send one or two of your staff for Barista training.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Clarever
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorey
Seafield Hotel & Spa Resort
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
#4 of 5 in Wexford

Been to Marlfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!