“Not really four stars”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gorey
Orleans, France
“Not really four stars”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here recently and found it comfortable and friendly. My only quibble would be the poor quality of the television (new flat tv could be great). Food for breakfast was very good. Welcoming staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed 2 July 2014

thanks for a very relaxing 2 night break. very comfortable hotel ,with all spa needs and pools. bars prices were just right .and music at the weekend great.service was personal and friendly.. breakfast brilliant. short walk to town and buses. either chill out and relax or use a car to tour, beaches and countryside.

Room Tip: all rooms were spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed at the Ashdown park hotel in Gorey in June 2014.Not a pleasant hotel at all. The room we stayed in was room 102, which is a disabled room, which I did not request as I Am not a disabled person.The room is right behind the reception desk and the windows face into the outside court yard where everybody smokes, very noisy.The bathroom had hand bars on walls for people to hold onto. The shower just flooded the whole floor, not a bath or a proper shower ,just a large bathroom with an invalid chair (with hair on it) in the shower to sit on.An old pull around curtain which you see pulled around beds in hospitals, is all we had going around the shower.One small bar of soap between two people.The floor was old terracotta tiles and terrible to walk on. The rest of the room was outdated and old fashioned.a pelmet above the curtains, old lockers and an alright bed. certainly not the picture they show in the brochure, or in the confirmation letter they sent me.the bar staff are the slowest pint pullers I have ever come across.It looked like they had no experience at all. It's better to order a pint and go for a walk up the town, the pint should be ready when you get back.The food was okay in fairness and plenty of parking outside.I was asked to pay in full on arrival,so i didn't get a chance to see room first or I would have asked to move straight away.I asked the receptionist on checkout why I was given a disabled room and her reply was, they had no other rooms, but I was with a large party and I had booked before all of them.Overall the Ashdown is not a great hotel and i would not stay there again, and if you are staying there avoid room 102.

Room Tip: Avoid room 102
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank rover359
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here recently and found it very comfortable and friendly.
My only quibble would be the poor quality toiletries in the bedrooms. I am not a fan of the pumps for soap and shower gel/shampoo but don't mind too much if they are good quality. These weren't!
Staff are lovely and food was very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maura F
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked a night away in the Ashdown as a gift for my boyfriend. I had heard they had jacuzzis in the room so requested an upgrade to ensure we would get the jacuzzi. The staff are very helpful and pleasant to deal with but I found the price for one night B&B way too expensive. 180 for a standard room and then 220 for the upgrade. The jacuzzi was definitely the highlight of the room as the 'superior' room is simply a standard room. On the plus the rooms are very clean. The wifi was very poor in the main areas and there was only broadband in the rooms. Afternoon tea was lovely and the dinner in the Ivy bar was tasty. I enjoyed my stay but just expected more for the price I paid. I would recommend this hotel for families and older couples.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Northern ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights DBB and we cannot fault this hotel. It is everything they said it was and more.
We were there as a couple on a midweek break. The rooms were large and the beds very comfortable with more than enough facilities. The food was very good and the taste reflected the fact that it was all locally produced.
The staff were all very friendly and welcoming, and could not do enough for us.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Not our first time to The Ashdown Park Hotel but this time it was just for lunch. We opted for the carvary and it was excellent. Probably one of the top 3 carvary lunches I've had. Excellent quality and plenty of food, you'll not leave hungry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorey
Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa
#5 of 5 in Wexford
Arklow Bay Hotel
Arklow Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Arklow

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!