“highly recommended hotel for kids”

Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Gorey
Monaghan, Ireland
“highly recommended hotel for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

just back home after 3 nights stay in Amber Springs Hotel in Gorey, would HIGHLY recommend this hotel as very family friendly. from the moment we arrived the staff are so friendly and helpful. we had a family room which was a double and 2 singles for our 2 girls, 10 and 5. The girls had a ball in the kids club and made some lovely friends over the 4 days. The buffet breakfast every morning was lovely and we had a meal in the restaurant which was also good. No matter how busy the staff were they were always attentive and pleasant especially at reception and I have to mention a lovely girl called Rachel who was a member of bar staff who was so courteous and helpful even though she was always so so busy,The bar needs extra staff so badly as they are stretched to the limits. If I was to find a negative it would be that our shower wasn't great and the pillows were v hard and uncomfortable. I hav seen reviews from people saying that staff are very slow etc, this hotel had a wedding every night that we were their and they are so busy, and still find the time to assist. we hope to return to amber springs again as the kids thoroughly enjoyed their hols, dont think i would return if it wasnt a family break though!

Room Tip: we stayed in a family room number 201, which is so close to the lift and just at the top of the stai...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alison186630
AmberSpringsGM, General Manager at Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear alison186630

Thank you so much for your review, at Amber Springs Hotel we pride ourselves on amazing service & guest delight, I am delighted you enjoyed our kids club which is growing & a fabulous benifit we provide along with our outdoor play area, we are constantly providing new & exciting free activities to keep our younger guests entertained - yesterday we had Owls in our park for the kids! check out our facebook page for pics.
I will pass on your great comments to our Restaurants, kitchen team & to Rachel in the BBG bar.
I look foreward to welcoming you & your family back to us very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Waited 40 mins for sandwiches to come out and it was not worth the wait. Lettuce thrown beside poorly made sandwiches. Tea that came out was not even hot. Will not be returning. Very bad quality food and value. Staff were friendly.

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Leanne K
AmberSpringsGM, General Manager at Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Leelllllll
I am sorry to hear you did not feel our bar offering was of exceptional quality & value but happy that our staff were friendly & attentive, we are delighted that we have just appointed an new Head Chef who will implement an new & exciting menu in our Brookes bar & grill on the 7th of August
please come back and test our new offering - I can guarantee you will not be dissapointed!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 2 night stay and really disappointed. Had wanted to stay in this hotel for a long time. Our "family" room was a double and single so my son had to sleep on a camp bed which kept collapsing. Staff moved us to another room the next day but there was no apology they just said other people in the same boat. We didn't get so much as an apology never mind a free drink. We paid a lot to stay at Hotel so was really disappointed with service. Bar was so slow to serve food or drink. staff looked over worked and stressed. Since returning my husband has phoned to complain about 6 times still hasn't received a call back.such a pity coz facilities for kids great.have stayed in much better 4 star hotels for cheaper and won't be back

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Lisa E
Dear lisa e,

I am sorry Amber Springs did not live up to your expectations, from your posting you had been allocated a double room which contains a double & a single bed, not a family room which has a double & 2 single beds, without having the details of your reservation I cannot give an explanation for that, in reference to contacting us to discuss we strive to answer any queries guests may have on check out & after that will respond to all contact post stay, please call again or email us so we can resolve this complaint.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Just leaving this hotel and so sad to go. Fantastic hotel with excellent facilities. You couldn't find a more perfect place to go with children. Can't recommend it enough. I will most definitely be going back

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear AineC85,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much with us at Amber springs, we have amazing facilities & an superb team that caters for our family guests, thank you so much for posting your review & I look foreward to wecloming you back very soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked a four night stay for our family, 2 adults and 3 kids. We had taken a recommendation that this was very kids oriented hotel and that together with four star rating meant we were willing to pay a little more compared to other hotels for the accommodation a standard family room. I fully agree with comments from other reviewers that bar staff appear stretched. The outdoor play area for kids is great but the tables were not cleared regularly during the day. On each day I had to clear my own table of empty glasses and bottles prior to sitting, this was consistent during our stay over 4 days. And created a poor impression and lack of desire to stay longer although the bar prices were also above average with 6.10 euro for a glass of house wine from large bottle. I could have been more accepting of the higher cost if facilities were clean and has some umbrella shades added to outdoor tables. I agree with the comments on kids meals being pricey and adding up if you have a drink, ice cream and nuggets with chips over 11 euro per child.
The kids activities were not clear to me to cost extra 3 euro per child for short go karting rides would have been less disappointed if I knew this in advance. When booking on the website it appeared as an offering for kids.
Room clean but in stifling heat some air conditioning system would have been great although not available we were provided a plug in fan.
Overall it was only ok, facilities good for kids but over priced food and drink with lack of enough staff to cope with bar area and outdoor area. Will be unlikely to return for another stay. Its a real missed opportunity as this hotel had so much promise and potential for a family friendly holiday at home in ireland.

3 Thank SuzMaria
AmberSpringsGM, General Manager at Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear SuzMaria,
Thank you for your comments, I am dissapointed The Amber Springs Hotel did not live up to your expectations, our team strive to offer the most amazing service and are sad that you feel they let them down, our bars manager is putting in place remedial action to ensure the garden areas are cleared more promptly & efficiently but as I am sure you recognised we experienced very high volume of guests over the last few days, I am glad you enjoyed the food offering although you have comments in reference to the price, we are reviewing the menu, food & drink, in line with guest feedback
We are very proud of our kids activities & recieve amazing feedback - we will also review the website to ensure the printed pricing is more prominent, we offer a huge amount of activity within our premises for kids and only a very few areas are chargable, I hope that you will give us another try where i am certain that you wil have an amazing experience.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed with my partner and 7 year old son in a family room.

Good points:
Fantastic children's activities, e.g. Go-carts, crazy golf, train ride, but you pay extra for some of these.
The sun was shining and there was lots of outdoor seating with children's slides/climbing frames (could do with umbrellas/shade though)
Modern decor in rooms and public areas.
Lovely grounds.
Friendly staff.
We had a large, clean, comfortable family room.
Pool very nice.
Good location - can walk into Gorey, drive easily to Courtown
Great Wifi

Bad points:
Service - housekeeping/reception very good but my impression is that the waiting staff are overstretched.
Menus/food. They seem very proud of their (poorly printed, badly-spelled) menu in the downstairs bar. I found it very unsophisticated. There is a lot of meat on it. I am a vegetarian. The pasta with mushroom sauce was the only vegetarian option. It was horrible - I'm almost certain it was a tin of Campbell's soup poured over some tagliatelli. The poor menu led us to go into Gorey to eat and we discovered the wonderful Kitchen and Eco restaurants there.
The strange thing is that they have a night time room service menu (11pm until 6am) which includes things like pizzas. All they had to do was sell these in the bar and I would have been happy as this would offer more choice. There should also be separate lunch and light bites menus in the bar instead of one menu offering only huge meat dinners all day.

1 Thank A M
AmberSpringsGM, General Manager at Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear A M

Thank you for your posting and comments on The Amber Springs Hotel & Health Spa, I am delighted you enjoyed our facilities & your stay with us & on the whole had a great time with us, I understand your comments in reference to our menu & we are in process of putting in place a new menu that I am sure answer all your needs on your next visit, it will have many options for vegetarians diners, starter & light main selection & will focus on our in-house produced Beef & vegetables, we will have this new menu in place in the first week of August, I look forward to your next review when you have stayed again with us & tried our new selection of seasonal, local & sustainable delights
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Myself, my family and another family had the misfortune of stopping here for a bite to eat last week. We took a seat in the area out the back and waited for 20 mins. No service. Went up to the carvery counter to order food for the kids and was told 'Find a waitress'. With no waiting staff around I approached the 4 people behind the bar that were chatting. One of them then came down to take an order. We were then told we couldn't eat outside, we could eat in the conservatory - that was fine except its an enclosed area where they allow smoking. The conservatory itself is located under the filthiest glass in history and directly beside the kitchen extract fans that are exceptionally noisy. All around the fans there is filth running down the walls.

The food was expensive and badly mis-described. Home made burger and Big Al's are not the same. 2 of the burgers might have made it an 8oz. Pasta also 'homemade' from a packet. If I'm not mistaken the use of the word 'Blaa' is protected under law. The specimen provided with the burger would make it the smallest Blaa ever made.

Finally, when a person orders a Coke they expect a coke, not a flat, syrupy splash.

The hotel has great facilities for kids but whoever is running this hotel should be shot.
Avoid at all costs.

7 Thank DesQ1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorey
Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre
Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ferrycarrig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ferrycarrig
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,675 reviews

Been to Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa? Share your experiences!