The Old Coach House
Ranked #2 of 5 Avoca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Although the staff is very friendly and the breakfast was excellent we were not happy with our accommodation. Our room was directly on the main road and very small. Also wearing earplugs me and my partner woke up many times in the night from the noise of the road and could hear other guests shower. Nice place but spacious rooms as advertised and a good night sleep is not guaranteed, overall an overpriced adventure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank K W

Reviewed 3 October 2013

My cousin and I and my nephew spent two nights here in September. It is a delightful B & B with much attention to detail in the rooms. For example, each room had different tea cups and they were most attractive. We were made most welcome and enjoyed sitting in the sitting room with a lovely peat fire burning. The rooms were comfortable, though Paddy had his windows open and found the sound of trucks on the road disturbing. Mick gave us very good advice about places to eat and we had a lovely breakfast each morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We spent our second night in Ireland here. Mick was so good about recommendations for a place to eat. We ended up at The Meetings which turned out to be probably the most authentic pub experience of the trip. Unfortunately, Mick's Mum-in-law had passed away and they were off early to Dublin in the AM for the funeral but still maintained hospitality and presence of mind for guests. I was very impressed by this, as I would have been out of it.

Room Tip: I didn't see any of the other rooms. There's really no traffic or rowdy pubs around this B...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Charming and historic old coach house. Very comfortable and Michael is a wonderful host who made us feel right at home. The building faces on to the road nearby but it is a very quiet road and there was absolutely no disturbance to a great nights sleep.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

On arrival greeted with a warm welcome and much appreciated cuppa. Rooms clean and tidy. Beds comfortable. Breakfast was tasty, but the host appeared to struggle with so many guests at once. All 8 of us! Nearby pub at Meeting of the Waters the only eatery within walking distance.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed (as part of a couple) in The Old Coach House in July 2013 for one night. I was best man at a garden wedding that was taking place nearby. I booked into The Old Coach House without too much investigation as the seemingly better known B&Bs in the area were fully booked. I certainly need not have worried as the owners Barbara and Mick were extremely helpful, friendly and welcoming.
Upon booking, Barbara suggested that I might like a place to change ahead of the wedding which was very nice. When the day came, I arrived a couple of hours before check-in time and our room was ready so I was able to relax and get ready for the wedding in comfort without any need to change rooms afterwards.
The room itself was lovely, extremely clean and comfortable. The lounge area downstairs was also very nice and the breakfast was terrific: Not only was Irish breakfast available but healthy options like porridge, muesli, yogurt and fruit were also available. They also had fresh pastries.

Barbara and Mick made us feel very welcome and saw to our every need during our stay.
If I'm back in this part of the country again, The Old Coach House will be the first option I choose for accommodation.

Dave (& Dee)

Reviewed 30 July 2013

County Wicklow was our favourite area of Ireland and I think The Old Coach House had a lot to do with that view. It is a beautiful building, perfectly situated and very clean and neat. The bed was so comfortable and the wooden shutters helped keep the summer light out ensuring an easy night's sleep. We were there for our first two nights in Ireland as part of our 12 day honeymoon in Ireland from South Africa - and we couldn't have been happier with the choice. The breakfasts were brilliant and the host Mick was a delight and very accommodating. We hope to return if we get the chance again. It was a perfect base to visit Glendalough Monastery as well as a scenic drive to Wicklow town. Recommend dinner at Bates Restaurant in Rathdrum and viewing the Thomas Moore monument at the Meeting of the Waters is a must - both within easy reach of The Old Coach House. An unforgettable stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are small but perfectly adequate - we fell in love with our roadside room, even though you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avoca
Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge
Ashton House
Ashton House
#1 of 5 in Avoca
Stirabout Lane Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Old Coach House? Share your experiences!