“Horrible room, and rip off "wedding rate" price” 1 of 5 bubbles

Tynte House
Tynte House
Ranked #4 of 4 Dunlavin B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Horrible room, and rip off "wedding rate" price”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Stayed in this B&B when I was going to a wedding in Rathsallagh. My room was not great and the towels were old and horrible. My friend found a tooth in a mug in her bathroom! Disgusting. To add insult to injury, when we were checking out we were informed that the price was not €65 per night as we had thought when booking, but was €90 per night as we happened to be going to a wedding!!! Avoid.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank ElleCee

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Spent the weekend with my girlfriend in Tynte House and we had a fantastic time. We stayed in the House which was charming and tastefuly decorated. It had a warm homely atmosphere which was very inviting. We went to the nearby Punchestown horse racing festival on the Friday, the owner of tynte house was very helpful with directions and information about the day, he suggested many activities for us which was excellent as we wanted to get outside and see the country side. He suggested we play golf at the nearby Rathsallagh course which was excelent.
The prices were reasonable for B&B, we definatly got a lot out of the weekend and had a great time.
Money well spent.

• Stayed May 2011
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

I went To Tynte House on a week holiday in one of the cottages,
I had a great time with my family, Its a great location because its on the Wicklow/Kildare border. During my week holiday, I visited The kildare national stud, the curragh(Great for a picnic) glendalough and we tryed to explore the wicklow mountains.

the cottage was big, spacious and clean. I was thrilled that it had multi-channel tv which was great for my children. The kichen was well laid out and was clean. My bed room was very homely with a bathroom ensuite.

The only thing I didn't like was the first to days it was lashing rain but lucky it cleared up for the rest.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank thezaggster
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed in one of the cottages for a week in february. The cottage itself was freezing when we arrived nd smelt very badly of damp. We travelled wth family that stay here every year but this year they felt it had gone downhill.
The cottage was filthy the grill had about a cm of black grime which had been mentioned the year before!!!

My daughter is 1 and the travel cot they put up had damp sheets in luckily we brought our own as they were horrible!

Wires were loose and coming out of walls

My daughter found old bits of food under th sofas a malteaser was a culprit!

The family members we went with felt embarrassed as they go every year and normally love the place!

The downstairs shower didnt work nd the rest lacked power but hey at least they work!

Shame as the cotages have potential and just need some tlc

Wouldnt stay here again

• Stayed February 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sammybear88
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

I’m glad I didn’t read the two previous reviews or we might not have stayed at this wonderful early 19th century converted farmhouse full of character and old world charm. My husband and I didn’t stay in the mews house but had a lovely spotlessly clean room in the main house, which is decorated in warm, earthy colours and filled with antiques. The owner, John Lawler, is full of local knowledge as well as craic! He grew up in Tynte House and he and his wife Caroline are very friendly and welcoming. He cooked us an unforgettable, delicious Irish breakfast, served up by one of his friendly teenage daughters. There are so many bland guest houses around that it’s great to come across somewhere very special that will live on in our memories.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main house.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

One Word - DUMP. We stayed at this location for two nights with friends over the weekend of the 12th of November. As soon as we sat down in the front room I began to get very itchy - one of my friends actually got nits ( although having said that it was no more than he deserved given the fact that he destroyed the wedding we were at the previous evening ). We stayed in on the saturday night but the scratching got so bad I could not wait to get a few drinks in to ease the pain. Without doubt the absolute highlight of the weekend was waking up on the sunday (after a terrible nights sleep) and realising it was just about time to leave.... Should I ever go to Dunlavin again I would rather sleep in a ditch than at this location.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank assasse

Travellers are raving about these Dunlavin hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

The house was beautiful with roomy bedroom/bathroom. No hair dryer. The host was very hospitable and we enjoyed a delicious breakfast. Once in Dunlavin there is nothing to do. There are a few stores and pubs. The town itself was littered and there seemed to be many teens and young adults with nothing to do but hang out in the streets. Once at Tynte House, plan to stay there or drive to another town for restaurant/pub.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunlavin
Ash House Bed and Breakfast
Ash House Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Calverstown
Rathsallagh House
Rathsallagh House
#1 of 4 in Dunlavin

Been to Tynte House? Share your experiences!