“Not quite as nice as I expected”
Review of Tynte House

Tynte House
Tynte House
Ranked #4 of 4 Dunlavin B&B and Inns
Lanark
“Not quite as nice as I expected”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed at Tynte House for a couple of nights because we wanted to go walking in the Wicklow Mountains and it welcomed our dog (a pity that the Wicklow Mountains didn't welcome our dog ...) I thought it looked very grand from the pictures on its web-site but in reality it was rather shabby. John, the host, was very friendly a welcoming but the room was rather old-fashioned. There was no guest information in the room at all - not even instructions on how to make the satellite TV work! Breakfast was quite good and portions were generous though the coffee could have been much better. We didn't think it was particularly good value in comparison to other places we stayed on the same trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at Tynte House recently for a few nights, to attend the Dunlavin Arts Festival. The house is very centrally located and does indeed have bags of character. We were made enormously welcome by John, who told us fascinating stories about the history of the house and the Tynte family etc. I had a particular interest in the local history and John was a mine of information. He kindly arranged for us to see another relevant property in the area, where we were greeted with equal warmth and hospitality by his brother. The old photos on the walls are brilliant.

The breakfasts were lovely and the rooms were quiet, clean and comfortable and had a fading charm befitting their age. Dunlavin was a most friendly place overall and we really enjoyed meeting the locals. Do not drive through Dunlavin, but walk or drive around it. The countryside is stunning. There is good food to be had at the Meitheal Cafe right opposite the Market House, home made cakes, lunches etc., though it does not open in the evenings. The only slight downside is that there is really nowhere to eat in Dunlavin in the evenings (apart from the haute cuisine and high priced Rathsallagh) and it is necessary to go a little further afield. John will, by prior arrangement, provide an evening meal however.

Do check out the sights around the area - Blessington, with its lakes, bookshop-cum-coffee-shop, etc., and Russborough House and take a drive up the Wicklow Way, where the river runs as black as treacle.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise B
Portland
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed at Tynte house for a night as we were passing through Wicklow and really enjoyed it! The owner John was the nicest guy in the world! He drove us to the Wicklow mountains and our bus station, and became somewhat of a tourguide telling us all about the area and it was really interesting! The B & B has a very Victorian-esque feel to it. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The decor was a little outdated, but all in all it was a nice place to stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam L
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This place is old world- bags of atmosphere! Real log fire on entry and friendly family welcome. I half expected to see a friendly ghost. Seems like the same family have lived there for over a hundred years! Clean bright rooms and good breakfast with homemade brown bread. Go for it its a no brainer!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Katherine B
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 October 2012

On arrival we could not get in, banged on doors and windows for over an hour. Bathroom was dirty, room and whole house smelled of damp. It was very old fashioned and over priced at 80 for double room. We would not have stayed there only we had a Wedding in Rathsallagh and that was booked out. The person "in charge" (who did not seem to be the owner) had no manor for dealing with the public and was of no help at all. Very disappointing stay, woud not recommend to anyone - do not stay there!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Cia01

Travellers are raving about these Dunlavin hotels

Kevelaer
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I was in the Tynte House for 3 days and I'm very glad that I booked this beautiful B&B. When I arrived a nice woman welcomed my family then she brought us to our room. The rooms are very nice and tidy and we felt like we were at home. The next day my family and I had a great choice for breakfast fried, scrambled or pouched eggs, cereals, sausages, bacon, tomato and much more, but the best is the homemade brown bred which tastes very good. After this we went out to a friend's wedding, which was in Dublin, so I asked John, who is the owner of the Tynte House, what the best way to Dublin is. He told me we should take the "N81", which was a good and fast route. We came back late at night and fell fast asleep. For the other 2 days we went touring to the Wicklow mountains and Glendalough, Kildare, where we saw the national stud and the japanese gardens, which were beautiful and we went to the curragh, which is the biggest parkland in europe and just 10 miles away.
The main thing I didn't like was for the last day the weather wasn't that good. However we didn't let it ruin our trip.

All in all the Tynte House is a great location for touring and a nice relaxing stay.

Peter Ophey (Germany)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Peter O
Dublin
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The only positive was the breakfast... the rest was shocking.
Maybe if we paid €30 for the night i wouldn't be so critical but we were charged €90.
Towels and bed linen looked like they were from the 70's and place smelled of damp.
I'm not a critical person (as you can see from my other reviews) but i was hugely disappointed with my stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Wicklow_Bob

Been to Tynte House? Share your experiences!