“Peaceful Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Glendalough Hotel
Maynooth, Ireland
“Peaceful Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in March of this year. I absolutely loved the place! It was so peaceful, quiet and relaxing. The rooms were very comfortable. The location is superb!
I have to say, the dinner we had was absolutely gorgeous. The service was excellent. We couldnt have asked for more. Everybody was extremely accomodating, pleasant and really went out of their way to ensure that we were looked after. I would Definitely stay here again! (if visiting but not staying in Glendalough, then definitely dine in the restaurant! I really cannot recommend the restaurant here enough! )

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Glendaloughotel, Owner at Glendalough Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Location, location, location! The famous phrase sums up perfectly the setting that we are in, and the tranquility that the area brings with it ! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, both the hotel and indeed Glendalough. You mentioned every aspect of your stay from dining, to accommodaiton to staff, and we could not ask for more ! The Glendasan River Bistro is beautiful for evening dining, when the team have the opportunity to show their flair in from the Kitchen !
Thank you for such an excellent review, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Pat Casey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I booked rooms here for our first night in Ireland from the US. I knew I would be tired and didn't want to drive far the first day out. We hiked, had lunch, hiked, took a nap, hiked.... Enjoyed our stay immensely. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Glendaloughotel, General Manager at Glendalough Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Glendalough Hotel as your first port of call, enroute from Dublin Airport. You have noting but positive comments and that is wonderful to see. The views and location of Glendalough for walking plus the ease of reaching us particularly from Dublin are the primary highlight of many guests who stay with us.

Thank you so much for your kind words about every element of your stay where you especially noted the breakfast. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your Irish visit, and hope that a future visit to Glendalough is on the cards!

Dupont, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

The Glendalough Hotel was probably a very nice hotel at one time, but is now slightly rundown with the Irish economy. There are lots of little things looking shabby. The paintwork is beat up and the room furniture in our room (215) was past its prime. The one easy chair sat like a wicker chair with the cane broken down. Plus, the room was very musty smelling and caused a bit of respiratory problems with mildew smell. I was not particularly impressed with the staff on check in. There were some problems with the rooms and and the young women at reception was slightly, grumpy and not willingly helpful. When asked if there were any washcloths she said no. Found out later that one of group had them in the room on check-in. In a down economy, it helps to be helpful....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glendaloughotel, Owner at Glendalough Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review as we appreciate all feedback which can help the hotel to keep improving and maintaining its high standards.

It appears that your stay was greatly affected by the fact that you were not happy with the room you received. We are conscious of the fact that our hotel bedrooms require some work, which we are hoping to commence over the quieter winter months. This will in turn enhance the guest experience here at the Glendalough hotel. I am most disappointed to note the lack of helpfulness at Reception, a matter which as been addressed.

Travellers are raving about these Glendalough Village hotels

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

A lovely hotel in a beautiful scenic area. Wonderful place to relax and take it easy. Very good food in both the restaurant and bistro. Long lovely walks close to hand. Staff very friendly, rooms clean and spacious. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any special offers on and the corner suites are lovely with a balcony o e flooding...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

arrived here for a two night break, amazing location and the hotel looks quite nice from the outside but that is where it ends. Hotel really dirty, window sills full of flies which were not cleaned over the course of the days we were there. Interior of hotel looks very dated, carpets looked like they hadn't seen a hoover for months and general furniture, doors and walls generally quite dirty. Staff were all scurrying about, none were particularly helpful and took quite a while to be seated for dinner on one of the nights even though there was hardly anybody there and there was absolutely no atmosphere in the restaurant .

On arrival at the the hotel, the receptionist wasn't particularly pleasant, never asked if we wanted help with our bags, the bedroom was absolutely boiling hot, asked for a fan but none available and no air con in rooms. The beds were ok and sheets were thankfully clean... however, shower curtain in bath was filthy and hanging off half of hits hooks and the bath itself was very grimy.

we had a four course dinner included in our package and our expectations were very low but we were very pleasantly surprised and enoyed it greatly. However, again staff also seemed pressurized and made little or no interaction with customers.

This hotel has soooo much potential, is in such an amazing location but unfortunately lacks any pride or love in it. Such a shame!!!would defo not be recommending a stay here but food is good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bubblesamuel
cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

visited the hotel on the 11th July 2013 with my family at lunch time. The hotel was busy for lunch and I stood at the counter for 20 mins plus to order and staff ignored me. Looked to me like there was no manager there to take charge. staff running all over the place. Once I got to talk to a waitress to order I asked her what I could eat off the menu as I am a coeliac. She told me the only thing I could eat was the chicken salad with out the chicken. Now I know it was not the waitress' fault but in this day and age where chefs are trained to a very high standard that was all I could eat not even a bowl of soup is a disgrace. thanks be to god for the coffee shop next door where I got a tea and a gluten free cake to keep me going. In saying that the rest of my family got fed and enjoyed it even though a bit pricey. Hotel could not be in a better location.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cobcork
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

arrived at the hotel Friday afternoon on a very hot day ,the car park was full so it took quite a while to get parking space. the hotel itself is very dated but clean on arrival the twin room was small but had a nice view onto the park, we booked our evening meal for 7.30 and on arrival to the dining room we were left standing for 10 mins before been given our table we felt that because we were on a weekend deal we were seated in area not as nice as the centre of the dining area. we ordered still water and were charged 5.20 for a 75 mil bottle which was a rip-of price also the head waiter john selected he favourite table and ignored the deal tables. we went out for the day and were disappointed to find our room was not cleaned at 4.30 when I contacted rec I was informed they were busy and would be around shortly ,they arrived at 5.30. the bar area was busy during the day with outsiders but lacked any welcome in the evening and was very empty

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
The Martello Hotel
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village

Been to Glendalough Hotel? Share your experiences!