All reviews self catering kitchen bunk beds booked a private room push button upper lake mixed dorm took forever new mattresses necessary amenities monastic site place to stay hour hike common areas day hiking tea coffee pleasant stay full irish
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hostel is in a great location - within walking distance of the main site and walking routes.
My room was really clean + warm, and equal to any 3 star hotel.

Kitchen facilities were great, really clean and organized.
I like to stay at hostels, so I can cook / prepare my own food.

My only gripe was the internet access ......... at 1 euro a half hour - it's really expensive !!
PIty ... if they had free internet access (at least in common areas) .... it would be an absolutely sensational hostel !!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Went with large group of friends had a fantastic weekend going back again in 2013. Walking, sightseeing, great restaurants and bars locally. Staying in a hostel meant we could be flexible, eat in or out which we did one evening and cooked a superb meal everyone pitched in even other guests joined us for a chat. We could choose to dine in or out do our own thing, just what we wanted.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Thank Kilkenny Town H... H
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We did not enjoy our stay at Glendalough Hostel. The area of Glendalough is breathtaking and were so happy to have visited, a much needed night out of the city. Everything is EXTRA! They advertised Internet, breakfast, etc., but made us pay for everything. The breakfast, Internet, DVDs, towels and coffee cost money. The bathrooms were really unclean and I felt uncomfortable taking a shower with daddy long legs. The backyard was lovely and relaxing. It was a quiet place to relax.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 787Paige
Reviewed 15 August 2013

It was really nice to have this hostel available. It's a pleasant walk very close to the main site. It's old fashioned, spacious, and situated on pretty grounds with views of the hills. I could have stayed late, and I was able to wake up in the morning and be there alone. I signed up for a ten room dorm but ended up being there by myself, which was a plus. The bathroom was attached to the room so you don't have to leave to use it. The staff kind of ignored me, but that wasn't a big problem.

Room Tip: You might want to request a view in advance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Too expensive in relation to what you get. Bad showers and smelly room. Internet usage 30min 1 €. Nevertheless, nice surrounding. If you are not self catering, you better choose a b&b which is the same price considering breakfast, but much more comfort.

• Stayed: July 2013