“Lovely Hotel”

BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
ireland
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in a mezzanine suite in the Brooklodge Hotel.
The staff were nice and friendly, the grounds are lovely with some nice walks and a great golf course.
The room was really nice but probably needed just a little TLC, it was a nice size and very comfortable.
Overall we had a great weekend.
The hotel is a nice 4 star hotel, maybe just a bit over priced for what you are getting. Still I can recommend it as a nice place to stay for a weekend of relaxing.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Dublin
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Only here for one night and as it was a work night it's hard to give it a proper review but it did make me want to come back with my wife. Lovely grounds and very pleasant decor. I stayed in the converted church part which is away from the main hotel and would be lovely for a wedding party. Room was small but clean and had a lovely view of the river. Some people complained about the heat in the rooms but I did not notice, Breakfast was nice but I was disappointed with dinner - this however is more to do withe the fact we had to put up with a barbecue rather than sample the lovely menus on offer - I guess that was ad ecision made by employers so i cannot blame the hotel. There are a number of different buildings which can be a bit confusing and it does seem quite pricey but a very pleasant place for a couples retreat and an excellent venue for a wedding.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Visited Brook Lodge with some girlfriends for one night in October.

Upon arrival the room was not ready, so I left my luggage and went to the lounge for a snack whilst waiting. The receptionist had told me that the room would be ready in an hour and she would come and get me when it was ready. I settled into the lounge at around 1.30 and had a lovely seat by the window. I ordered a scone and two huge scones arrived. I would think most people would not eat two big scones!! This is good if you are two people and could share, but for one person it was ridiculous. Anyway, I was happily settled in and reading the papers. At four o'clock I went looking for my room, to find that my friend had arrived and gone to the room two hours previously. The receptionist did not come and tell me the room was ready, nor did she tell my friend that I was waiting in the lounge! On check in neither did she tell either of us about the hotel facilities, times and whereabouts of breakfast etc. As an aside whilst I was in the lounge the Manager was in the lounge having a long loud discussion with guests who were unhappy with their room not being ready. Whilst I understand the hotels position in having a late check in as guests have their room till 12, do other guests of the hotel really need to hear all the details of this complaint for 1/2 hour? Surely the Manager must have an office or somewhere more private to discuss this matter rather than in the guests lounge!

We were really looking forward to our dinner in the Strawberry Tree but it was very disappointing. In fact two of our group had to send their fish back as it was so smelly that we could smell it across the table. The breakfast the following morning was also disappointing. Three of the four of us had cooked breakfasts, and each of them was cold when they arrived at the table.

Each of us had treatments in the spa and they were lovely. Overall I felt that the hotel itself was quite relaxing and the spa was very good but the reception service was poor and the food was terrible. I would not go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kitty63Melbourne
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I had a one night stay here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived we were blown away by this beautiful hotel. Reception is gorgeous, I just wanted to curl up on one of the huge comfy sofas by the peat fire, and get stuck into a book. And if I was very lucky, I might get Oscar the friendly hotel dog to come and snuggle up with me :-) All staff are wonderful, helpful and pleasant at all times. We were lucky enough to be able to stay in one of the luxurious mezzanine suites.... and it was incredible. So much space, comfortable furnishings, fabulous bed, absolute understated luxury. We had a light snack in Acton's Pub just after we arrived, and on the walk around to the pub we both commented on the lovely little touches everywhere... jars of fresh flowers on the outside tables, an outside fire was being lit over near some benches on the grass... everywhere was so clean and inviting. The pub itself is great, and the food excellent and reasonable. We had dinner in the Strawberry Tree restaurant that night, again this was just fantastic. We chose from the four course dinner menu, we could have chosen the tasting menu but will save that for next time. Both are €65 and great value at that. We had starters of scallops & woodpigeon, mains of brill and pheasant. Dessert was a delicious tasting plate of several different desserts, with Happy Anniversary piped on the edge of the plate, a lovely touch and one we really appreciated. We had a drink in the bar afterwards, again so fantastically comfortable and relaxing. Breakfast was plentiful and wonderful, lots of cereals, porridge, pastries, and several hot options. We both had the Full Irish, all organic and all tasting wonderful. The quality shines out everywhere, even after a substantial breakfast I didn't feel over full, for me a sign of good quality oil etc. used in the cooking. The whole hotel is gorgeous, even in the corridors there are big couches, lovely old furniture, and everywhere is maintained to a very high standard. This is where, for me, other four star hotels fall down.... I've seen lovely bathrooms spoiled by scuffed skirting or grubby grouting... or both. Not so at The Brooklodge, every last thing is maintained to perfection. We didn't make it into the Spa, again saving that for the next trip. The drive to the hotel is lovely, I had forgotten how beautiful Wicklow is. Directions were spot on and very easy to follow. We absolutely loved every minute, and are planning our next visit now. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, it really is wonderful. Well done to all at The Brooklodge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to attend a wedding. Check in was prompt and courteous. The hotel is set out over a large area and we did find it a little bit difficult to find our room. Dragging the suitcase around looking for the room wasn't easy - got a bit fed up with it in the end but eventually found it. The explanation of the location given by the receptionist was hopeless and we only really found it by accident.
Our room was lovely, spacious, great bathroom with a beautiful view of the brook running alongside the hotel. Great stuff. Did have an issue with mirrors in the room, not easy for drying hair. Had to drag the large freestanding mirror over to the dressing table as my hairdryer didn't match the plugpoint by the bedside. Getting the securited coat hangers out of the wardrobe was impossible. Please trusts guests and provide proper ones. Even if you lose a couple it would be worth it.
Went for lunch and drinks in the bar. The food selection was only ok, would have liked a little more variety. Bit disappointing.
Had a walk around the lovely grounds and explored. The gardens are immaculate.
We had a couple of drinks in the Irish pub next to the Italian. We sat outside for a little bit as it was a lovely evening but I hated the hens wandering freely around. Whilst I am all for free range etc the chickens poop everywhere which is not only disgusting but a health hazard surely. So we went inside. If they must roam free there should surely be a separate area for them to do so away from food and drink areas.
Had dinner in the Italian which I recommend you pre book if you want to dine as the restaurants get full if the hotel is busy. I have to say that the meal (there were 3 of us) was absolutely lovely - 10/10 for food and service. The menu is great value, good choice and we were all very happy indeed.
I was looking forward to breakfast as there is lots of blurb regarding local produce however I found it extremely greasy and unappealing. So much unnecessary grease and oil. However, the homemade scones were gorgeous. Not too many staff on at breakfast and with a full dining room a little bit of a wait for everything.
I didn't use the spa but might have done had its services been highlighted by the receptionist at check in.
My friend's rental car was damaged in the car park which I appreciate is not the hotel's fault. However, park your car with caution.
To sum up, this is a beautiful hotel well worth visiting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Amazing location and excellent service. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. So much to do during the day between Spa, eco experience and plenty of beautiful walks. Really enjoyed the weekend and hope to be back again.

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Myself and my daughter spent just one night here but really enjoyed it. Our room was Lovely - we spent hours in the Spa - so relaxing. A treatment was part of the deal - I had the best facial I have ever had. We had the 6 course tasting menu which was fab. Lovely walk around the grounds and the golf course in the morning - will definitely return

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Arklow Bay Hotel
Arklow Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Arklow

Been to BrookLodge & Macreddin Village? Share your experiences!