“Pick your time carefully” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort

Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Dublin, Ireland
“Pick your time carefully”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Lovely hotel and only 40 mins from south Dublin. As well as spa treatments there is a golf course (and here is the difference to other like hotels),you can go for a walk of 4 km around the course inside the boundary walls or, if preferred, you can borrow one of the hotel's bikes, free of charge. The rooms are all spacious and well laid out. My only problem, and hence the title of this review, very very noises with lots of young children using the common areas and bar as play ground. Staff aware of this and tried to seat couples in one area of restaurant. Food ok but a little overpriced in restaurant. Maybe, if bar not so busy food there would be of better value. So visit off peak.

Room Tip: Ask not to be near family rooms if travelling as a couple and want quietness
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank lynda e
Mr-Edward-Stephenson, Chief Executive at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to Druids Glen.

I appreciate your positive comments regarding so many aspects of your stay not least in relation to our spa and golf facilities. Druids Glen is a very popular destination for families during the summer months however we have a number of areas in the hotel as well as the beautifully appointed Woodstock House that offer our guests a relaxing environment to enjoy.

I hope that this does not deter you from returning to the resort and I would ask that any future bookings are made directly through me and I will ensure that all hospitalities will be extended to you.

Chief Executive.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
N Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights midweek. Had phoned around a few hotels at the last minute & this was the only one who got back to me ?? Excellent checking in experience with a lady called Jo. Room was nice but probably not as large/luxurious as I expected for a 5*. I didn't find the tea making facilities until I was leaving.The bathroom was badly laid out with toilet right against the shower cubicle. The beds were lovely & comfortable & they provided a roll away bed for my teenage daughter as the 2 doubles were pretty small (no additional charge) The room was an adjoining one & we could hear the small kids next door very clearly the next morning :( We had a problem with the air conditioning on the first night but this was rectified as soon as I raised it. Bar service wasn't that efficient even though there appeared to be ample staff. We had bar food the second night as we were a bit late getting back to hotel & it was tasty. The guy that served us was really friendly & compensated for the the rest of the bar staff. Was disappointed there was no entertainment in the hotel despite being told when booking that there would be after the BBQ.The hotel lacked atmosphere in the evenings. Breakfast was lovely with very attentive staff. The walk in the grounds was a bit confusing as I ended up on the main road perhaps better signs would help ( I spoke to three others who did the same thing) The location of hotel was very central to lots of different tourist attractions. The hotel seems to attract a lot of families with small children.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
1 Thank AlexNI
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at Druids Glen Resort. I am pleased to note your compliments in relation to your overall experience at the hotel, not least in relation to the welcome that you received from Josephine at reception.

I am disappointed to read we did not fully meet your expectations regarding some aspects of your stay on this occasion. Suffice it to say that your feedback has been noted and attended to accordingly. We pride ourselves on delivering award winning hospitality and my ambition is to exceed our guests’ expectations in every element of their stay with us. I would be obliged if you would contact me directly with any future booking requirements you may have.

I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back to Druids Glen Resort and extending all hospitalities to you.

Portglenone, United kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

From the moment we walked in to reception, we were bowled over by the luxury of this hotel. Ended up being upgraded to a suite which was amazing. When we returned to the room at night, our curtains were drawn and a bedside note and chocolate were left for us and softer lighting switched on. Breakfast was off the scale, every possible taste catered for with the freshest of foods. Definitely will return. So handy to use as a central point to explore Wicklow and wexford.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review of Druids Glen Resort. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay at the resort. Your compliments regarding the standard of your suite and the quality of the breakfast are graciously received. We are fortunate to be located in such a beautiful part of Ireland with many wonderful attractions in the immediate vicinity.

I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Druids Glen in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I had heard rave reviews about this resort and upon seeing and being told it was a 5 star hotel and that the Irish open had been held at its Glen course I was excited to go.
Upon arrival everything looked amazing from the drive through the gates right up to the front of the hotel, the views are breath taking, my wife and I were checked where upon the receptionist was very polite and offered us a hot face wash towel fantastic I thought yep most certainly worthy of 5 stars so far, 3 or 4 places to eat happy days I'm thinking.
So my wife goes to the room whilst I go and unpack the car with the help of Duncan (guest relations manager) who was very nice and explained about the glen course and a few other interesting things again I'm thinking this is great. We arrive to my room and Duncan explains about the room, he opens the mini bar fridge, it's not stocked he then shows us where the kettle, tea and coffee are kept (hidden away) again my impression is starting to dwindle but hey not to worry.

So we decide to go to the pool, we put on our nice fresh robe and slippers and head off to be told on arrival "Sorry sir we are full to capacity, we can phone you in about 10 mins and you can come back" so we head back to our room to head back 15 mins later eventually get in to the pool at about 6pm-ish to find it full of screaming children. Not impressed that they don't have separate times for families and those without children to enjoy the pool and relax.

So after about 30mins of bearing up with screaming children jumping and bombing in the pool we head back to our room to get ready for dinner which is a BBQ which was all you can eat for €25 not bad we thought would have been better had there been a better choice but it was ok as for desert there was only 2 choices - Not impressed as far as food selection goes.

The room was what you would expect from a 3/4 star hotel not a 5 star hotel the balcony door would not lock, we was told that we had a "Golf Course View" we could just see part of a green and a flag, the bed was comfy enough mind you and we both had a good nights sleep only to be woken by screaming children running up and down the corridor leads to a very unhappy me.

Breakfast was average considering g again this was meant to be a 5 star resort, there was a larger selection of cereals and fruits than cooked stuff, there was none of your Irish Soda or Potato bread very sad to see that wasn't on offer. Evening meal again was a let down by the lack of choice for a 5 star resort, the lack of choice for desert and even main course, you didn't feel like you was in a 5star resort by the service you was getting or should I say not getting.

My wife and I went out for the day and came back at around 6pm to get ready for dinner to see that our room had been serviced but no fresh bed sheets, my wife knew this because she had make up on her pillow and sheets plus a toe diamond still in the bed also no condiments had been replaced, we didn't say anything as we wanted to see if this would be rectified the following morning, to which it was not.

All in all I was very very let down by the resort and it was and isn't most certainly worthy of its 5 star rating a 3 star maybe 4 at best, but then you pay for what you get and our stay was not that expensive considering it was again meant to be 5 star.

The only good thing I can say about this location is the view is breath taking and the Druids Glen Golf course is superb and well worth playing for all golfers, other than that my wife and felt very let down.

Room Tip: If you have no children and want a peaceful night then ask for a room away from any families
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Aaronwells
Mr-Edward-Stephenson, Chief Executive at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and it is regrettable that your expectations were not fully met nor that you did not voice your dissatisfaction whilst you were here. At Druids Glen we pride ourselves on customer care and service of the highest standard and it is a very rare occasion that we cannot resolve matters to our guests’ satisfaction once we are made aware of an issue.

I would be obliged if you would contact the aforementioned Duncan, our Guest Relations Manager at duncan.mcalpin@druidsglenresort.com who will ensure that your comments are acted upon accordingly.

Thank you again for the interest you have shown which is much appreciated and I look forward to, hopefully, changing your initial impressions.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

5 star at its best. Staff so nice to the children. Food excellent and not too expensive. BBQ on terrace superb... Excellent facilities for children... they have thought of everything. We were very impressed and we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
1 Thank catndel4ever
Mr-Edward-Stephenson, Chief Executive at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I was delighted to read how much you and your family enjoyed your stay at Druids Glen.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again and if I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.

BELFAST
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

You may be really happy with this hotel but I value a great dining experience and unfortunately I got only an average one here despite paying a rather expensive price for a meal for two. The hotel has an excellent staff who are friendly and anxious to please and our stay was very enjoyable and relaxing - the only time I felt that 5 star treatment was missing was in the restaurant.
The 3 course meal was 70 euro for two (ah but we ended up paying 24 euro more for side orders and wine) and children could dine from a buffet of wedges, pasta, sausages, mixed veg and some good quality chicken nuggets followed by 2 small (note again small - no biscuit crumbs or chocolate crumbs to decorate) scoops of ice cream all for 5 euro.

We waited a little too long to order and a little too long for the food. We were offered a selection of bread and i had some very salty slightly dry tomato bread. Not good. For a starter I had duck which arrived looking very lonely on a large slate, the portion of duck was about the size of the bottom of a small glass and about an inch high. Better order some side dishes with the mains because we were both starving. I had the lamb (5 euro supplement), again ok but small and with some salad. The side orders arrived (4 euro for a side order) of chips and creamed potato. The chips were excellent, good potatoes cooked in good oil to a nice golden color.
Dessert was lemon tart with a scoop of strawberry sorbet. The lemon tart was delicious
and a reasonable size but ice cream would have been nicer with it and maybe a little clotted cream. you pay 1.50 extra for a scoop of ice cream.
Two glasses of house red wine cost 15 euro. All in the meal cost us 94 euro for 2. It was much too expensive for the size of the portions and the quality of the food. Some of the supplements seemed mean especially the 1.50 for the scoop of ice cream. The actual dining room was lacking in atmosphere and we were not given the little chocolate treats some places give you when you pay. A small thing, I know, but I just didn't feel a valued customer(plus I love those little chocolates!!). It's as if they were complacent about diners' experience.

Now the actual hotel itself is very good and the beds were sooo comfortable and the rooms have a little fridge and a safe and good showers in ensuite. The hotel facilities I could not fault and the golf course is amazing. It's about a mile outside the village. Also breakfast is very good - although busy and we did enjoy this.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at Druids Glen Resort. I am pleased to note your compliments in relation to your overall experience at the hotel, not least in relation to the comfort of your guest room, the quality of our breakfast buffet and the helpfulness of our team.

I genuinely appreciate your balanced feedback and suffice it to say that the matters highlighted by you concerning food quality are being addressed and attended to accordingly. My ambition is to exceed our guests’ expectations in every aspect of their stay with us and I would be obliged if you would contact me directly with any future booking requirements you may have.

I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you to Druids Glen Resort and extending all hospitalities to you.

Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Just spent a couple of days here with my Wife and 5 year old Grandson.
Reception was great as was the Porter who went the full mile to accommodate us especially with parking.
Accommodation was excellent massive rooms with all the facilities you could ask for.
We decided to opt for the advertised BBQ on the first evening,what a mistake,a pretty poor selection of meats along with some over cooked baked potatoes and a pretty lack lustre salad followed by what can only be described as a couple of cakes masquerading as a sweet.My biggest complaint was the lack of seating the adjoining bar was packed which left the BBQ area which was also packed,not a very good experience.
Breakfast was very good plenty of choice from the hot buffet and breads and juices.
The swimming pool was rather small and very crowded.
Dinner on the second night was taken in the Brasserie,buffet selection for the kids and a minute for the Adults that's when things started to go downhill.
Eventually a drink order was taken followed by another wait for our food order.
Service in my opinion was very slow although the food when it was served was of a good standard we thought that we were being treated as second class guests because we had children with us.
It was apparent that other "Grown Up Guests" were treated in a different manner.
All in all a pretty good stay but there are areas which need to be addressed mainly the lack of table seating and the attitude of the waiting staff in the dining room.
No doubt if we returned as adults we would probably have a different experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ray_heron
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Druids Glen Resort. I appreciate your compliments relating to the standard of accommodation in the hotel and the service received from our front desk team.

I regret that we did not fully meet your expectations and I have noted your dissatisfaction with the content and quantity of food you experienced at our barbecue. I am sorry that you did not feel it represented good value and this has been noted. At Druids Glen we pride ourselves on customer care and service of the highest standard and your experience was far from that which we aim to deliver to our guests. As Family Friendly Hotel of the Year, I can assure you that we endeavour to provide exceptional service to every one of our guests who stay and dine with us.

I hope that your experience does not deter you from returning to Druids Glen Resort and I would be obliged if you would contact me directly with any future booking requirements. I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtown Mount Kennedy
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village
The Martello Hotel
Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge

Been to Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!