“J&E. Kildare.”
Review of Parkview Hotel

Parkview Hotel
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed one night .Very happy overall . Would heartily recomend Parkview . Very suitable for springboard to explore Wicklow, which for those who may not know is the most beautiful county in Ireland ! ! !
Room was very comfortable . beds were great. Shower also was good .Plenty of storage , all needs appeared to be more than adequately covered.This hotel was well served by all staff with whom we were lucky enough to meet, Lauren and Christy in particular. Whatever these two are paid it's not enough ! Well done !

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing out to car park .
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank joe a

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights over the weekend & was quite impressed, only thing that let it down was the restaurant food, we had dinner included so booked in for the Friday night in the restaurant. The place was so cold, & no atmosphere, no music & place was empty. Staff were really lovely & friendly, food was cold but there was no issue fixing the problem but I had the duck & it really was not up to much. Bf had T-bone steak & was gorgeous, tho also not v hot, it seems they do a v good bar food trade & concentrate more on that. Was a pity because restaurant is lovely. Breakfast was good, proper fry & nice selection of fruits/breads/meats. We had a lovely meal in the bar on second night, atmosphere is lovely in the bar. Would def return but would not be booking into the restaurant.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trishamel
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Just returned from a 3 day break with Mum and sis! Location is perfect for all the great tourist attractions Wicklow has to offer, Avoca, Powerscourt, Glendalough, Mount Usher Gardens etc....
The room was very comfortable and the service excellent! Food was great, ate there every night.
Only draw back is that there isnt any leisure centre/pool, having said that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for a great mini break!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 123Ruthie
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I really enjoy staying in this hotel I find it relaxing as there never seems to be the bustle I experience in other hotels and not just a result of being quiet there are many times the hotel is busy but I still find this a lovely place to relax Staff are pleasant and welcoming. and have always found them to be attentive Rooms I also find spacious and clean .
It is disappointing to read negative reviews but in my experience and have stayed many times and would recommend this hotel . Location is convenient to main motor routes and also sits in quaint village with Wicklow hills nearby

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dawn J
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Myself and my wife stayed here for her Birthday. We were visiting Powerscourt, so it was near. I must say we were very impressed and the customer service was great. The food in the restaurent was top class and I enjoyed every minute. The only thing I was suprised at was: we asked if we could take our desert up to the room as we were so full. The waiter said he could pop it up, but then when we were leaving he said sure you might as well take it up with you. Well, we were charged 5 euro for that delivery, which did not take place as we took it up ourselves. tut tut.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here recently on a visit to Wicklow. We were attracted by the mainly excellent reviews on Tripadvisor & the price which was €150 B&B for 2 nights, which is hard to beat. We stay in mainly 3 & 4 star hotels generally, so we thought we had some idea of what standard to expect from the hotel.

Our room, 202, was very spacious & we had a lovely view of the little pond at the hotel & the mountains nearby. The room was clean & the decor was quite nice, although it could do with some touching up here & there (Mainly re-plastering & a bit of paint over the 2 little holes & 1 medium dent in the room walls). Service on the television was a little hit & miss. Also the door stop in the bathroom is poorly placed, right on front of the toilet begging for somebody to trip over it on a sleepy night time trip to the loo. My two biggest issues with this hotel room were the fact that instead of a double bed (which we booked & paid for) we got 2 single beds pushed together, with a bumpy join in between. This drives me crazy in hotels!! And secondly there is no air conditioning & although we turned the radiators off, the room was still extremely stuffy & hot. The only way to get any air was by leaving the balcony door open, which was fine during the day, but at night between the noise of cars & people outside & the heat in the room we barely got a wink of sleep both nights of our stay.

The breakfast both mornings was poor at best..no flavor off the hot breakfast, cheap watery coffee & continental pastries that were not fresh & had seen one day too many sitting around. We were sitting eating our hot breakfast by 9.30 on the Tuesday & come 10.04 the continental was cleared away without even a courteous question of if we wanted anything else before they cleared it away (breakfast finishes at 10 on weekdays). At no stage did any waiting staff check if our breakfasts were ok or if we needed anything. The young man who seated us on the Tuesday morning, was the only member of staff who seemed to have any training or courteously, out of the whole breakfast staff.

We ate in the hotel on the Tuesday night, as my partner liked the look of the menu, although after breakfast that morning I was not so keen, but I went along with it as he wanted to. He had wings, steak & apple pie all of which he really enjoyed. I had Brie & meringue mess which I really enjoyed. But my main was absolutely the worst creamy mushroom pasta I've ever had! There was no meat in this pasta, but to spite that fact it still tasted of greasy steak! I can only presume this is because the mushrooms for my pasta & the mushrooms for the steak were cooked together on a pan which was used for meat! Although I am not vegetarian, I think a dish should taste of what it says it will on the menu & not something totally different. The long dark haired waitress who served us in the bar that evening (and the young man at breakfast who I mentioned earlier) were the only members of staff in this hotel who seemed to have customer service skills, the other staff do not check up on customers or really seem to want to be there at all!! I would have put this on the hotel comment card on the room but there was no pen to fill it out. I would not stay in this hotel again nor would I recommend it as I know there must be better hotels with better staff in Wicklow.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dara P
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here in a park/mountain view room last night after a day visit to Powerscourt House and Gardens. I gifted him a one night stay with dinner in the restaurant and breakfast next morning. I found staff very helpful before (via email, accommodating special requests) and during our stay. All staff we encountered were friendly and forthcoming.

The room was nice and bright with a nice view, appreciated through french doors (lovely to have in a room that had no terrace) the decor is modern and the room is well laid out. There is a mini fridge in the room, very handy for chilling a bottle of bubbles. We had a pre-dinner refreshment in the bar which was very chilled, again with modern decor and nice and bright and our barman was very friendly and chatty.

For dinner the restaraunt offers a nice variety on the menu for food and wine. Our meal was very enjoyable and as we're a couple the atmosphere was very relaxed and private as the tables are nicely spaced out. Again staff in the restaurant were very attentive and forthcoming.

In room you can hear the fountain in the park if the day is warm enough to have the french doors open which was very relaxing. There was good water pressure in the shower, always great. We had been advised there would be a little noise until about 12.30/1am as there was a birthday party in the event room which is below rooms we were staying in, we were happy enough to stay and delighted to say that the noise (which was not at all too loud) stopped bang on 1am.

Breakfast offered 3 options - Full Irish, Mini Irish, Continental. I have to say I am not partial to a hot breakfast and really enjoyed the continental offering with about 6 cereals to choose from, lots of fresh fruit, various yoghurts, a choice of fresh breads and some pastries to enjoy with your coffee, it was a very enjoyable breakfast.

Newtownmountkennedy is a small village and so it is very quiet and relaxed, exactly what we were looking for, we live in Dublin and just wanted somewhere quiet, chilled and in the mountains that is close enough to drive within the hour from the city. Its a great location to visit some visit worthy spots, we took a spin down to Brittas Bay after check out which is only a 20 minute drive further south. Lovely beach to get some fresh air and help clear the mind before returning to the urban jungle.

I would recommend a stay at the Parkview, it is great value for money and a nice spot for a chilled out stay.

Room Tip: Request a room with Park view / Mountain View, we stayed on the first floor non terrace room. The se...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Wilton Hotel Bray
Wilton Hotel Bray
#2 of 7 in Bray

Been to Parkview Hotel? Share your experiences!