“Amazing pampering experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathnew
“Amazing pampering experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Partner had surprised me with a weekend away in Ireland and, to add on to that, with a full day of pampering too!
I arrived to the place around 12 o'clock and was welcomed with a massive smile from one of the staff. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't one of those 'I have to smile so I will' type of smiles, the lovely lady who met me made me feel truly welcomed.
I had chosen to have full body massage and deep tissue back massage, facial and manicure. When I was showed the room, I really liked the fact that I was left to it for a few minutes, so I had time to get used to the surroundings, get changed and I even managed to get a photo! My apologies for the bad quality, the phone camera is kind of bad, haha.
When the therapist got to the room, I was advised that because I had told them I had an achy back that hasn't been checked out by a doctor, I couldn't have the deep tissue back massage and was offered to choose another treatment, so I went for the pedicure instead.
The girl, who turned out to be Latvian too (haha, I was quite surprised about that, as I had traveled from East Midlands, England myself), was very friendly and kept explaining everything she was doing and why.
The full body massage was amazing! I absolutely loved it and would go back again and again, if I lived nearby (and also, if I didn't have to pay for it myself hahaha).
I was a bit worried about the facial, as I have mixed type of skin, but Eva (?) reassured me that she'd use different products for different areas and she did not lie! Boom, here I am, 3 hours later and still glowing!
Manicure and pedicure...well, I don't have to comment on this, do I? It was really good and I liked the choice of nail varnish colours too.
All in all, an amazing day in a beautiful location! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some thanking to do :D

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Elina S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Visited Tinakilly for a girls day out with two of my friends and had one of the worst experiences in a 4 star hotel ever. It's a lovely setting, but that's about the only positive thing I can say.

We booked in for treatments and afternoon tea. When booking the treatments I explained to the lady that the 3 of us were expecting incase that had any impact on the pedicures we wanted. I booked the one hour 'medi-pedi plus' treatment, and the two girls were booked in for normal 30 minute pedicures. I also booked us in for afternoon tea, again explaining that the 3 of us are expecting so we can't eat unpasteurised cheese, or smoked or raw fish. The girl I spoke to assured me that wouldn't be a problem, but took my number incase the chef had any questions.

My treatment was booked in to go first, when I got into the treatment room I was shocked to see that my treatment space was what can only be described as a dining table chair in the corner of a treatment room with a pillow on the floor. Even in normal circumstances I wouldn't consider that kind of chair comfortable or appropriate for relaxing in while getting pampered, but at 19 weeks pregnant I can recommend it even less. The actual pedicure itself was one of the worst I've ever had, no filing or buffing my nails, no exfoliation, no massage...very, very basic. Apparently the element that gave it the 'medi pedi plus' title was a foot callus treatment, which was basically two treated cloths wrapped around my heels, then my feet were wrapped in bin bags (not joking, they were actual bin bags) and then in towels. Even the polish didn't redeem it at all - there were 5 colours to choose from, and the therapist only applied one coat of colour. My treatment lasted less than 35mins, when it was supposed to last one hour. I complained afterwards and initially the lady taking the payment disputed it when I said I assumed I was only being charged for a standard pedicure, but when I pointed out that there was no filing, exfoliation or massage she couldn't really argue and charged me for a regular pedicure, which was still steep enough considering the poor standard at €35, but it was better than €60 which I had been due to pay.

The two girls went after me and both had slightly better experiences, I think the therapist who treated me must have gotten some feedback, so theirs were a bit better but still not worth €35 by a long shot.

Then came afternoon tea - we mentioned to the waiter that we were pregnant and he assured us we'd be looked after especially as I had called ahead to advise. To say what we were presented with was laughable is an understatement. I'll post a picture of what was on the website to show the comparison with what arrived. We didn't even initially get brought out scones and the 'sandwiches' were a joke - ham, smoked salmon (which none of us can eat when pregnant) and then 2 plain white sandwiches - one tomato, one cucumber. No cream cheese and chives, not even salt, pepper or butter on the bread! The 'desserts' were just as bad - a mini ramekin with some blueberries in it, another with mixed berries and the third dessert was a piece of dry meringue with a raspberry on top. We brought it to the waiters attention that this really wasn't what we expected, and it then transpired that he had misheard us and though we said we needed 'dairy free' not pregnant, so they were off to sort this out for us. The end result was we were brought out 3 tiny scones, and another plate of plain cucumber and plain tomato sandwiches!! Don't get me wrong, afternoon tea in Tinakilly is only €10.50 a head, so I wasn't expecting The Merrion standard or anything of the sort but still, what we got was just so disappointing. We raised the issue again, and this time the manager got involved, and offered to start the whole thing over again from fresh but at that stage we were so over it, and the bar was beyond packed with wedding guests for the wedding the hotel was hosting we just chose to leave, and weren't charged for the afternoon teas.

Final point is that the hotel was also hosting a wedding, and the guests were just everywhere. It felt like we had gatecrashed a private venue and just doesn't work at all. Leaving the bar on the way out we literally had to step over the brides dress, and weave our way through her guests as the bar and the reception area were just packed with them. I think the hotel should either have a separate area to accommodate non-wedding guests, or else close to the public for the afternoon on the days weddings are taking place. It's not like they didn't know we were coming, we had booked it a few weeks in advance and a heads up would have been nice.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Sarah O
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

So, we had been on the road most of the day visiting many great sites in Ireland and after a long day we thought we were going to be booked into a basic B&B...... sufficed to say, were we surprised! What a great spot. Greeted by the most pleasant front desk attendant, we were thrilled with our room! We stayed and had dinner in one of their dining rooms and had a fantastic dinner. The grounds are spectacular. Bed was great, pillows excellent too. Breakfast the next day was excellent as well. If there was one 'complaint' ( and one has to reach for that....) it would be the rooms need a new flat screen TV and raised so it can be seen if watching in bed ( very minor ...) HIGHLY recommended!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tim l
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I went there a week ago for a night away with my wife. Everything started well with pleasant and attentive staff and a large room with a sea view. Dinner was from the set menu and fine (although the temperature of the food could have been hotter). couldn't fault the dinner staff. Next morning at breakfast, there seemed to be too few staff and it looked a bit fraught for those that were working.
The big issue was the room, it was a warm summer evening and the room had no air conditioning or even a fan. That's fine but the bed only had a heavy duvet, therefore it was too cold to sleep with nothing over us and way to warm to sleep with the duvet on, we had the worst sleep in my memory. When I talked to the reception staff that they should have a top sheet on the bed,their response was that "That's a great suggestion and we will do that going forward". My night there cost €320 which is not cheap and my purpose there was to relax and not provide suggestions. The staff reaction really set the tone for the place, they just wanted me out of there. They took note of my complaint and I never heard anything further.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cionn
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Tinakilly for one night last week for a wedding.

Everything about this hotel is wonderful - staff, food, rooms, grounds, everything!!!

Absolutely beautiful place! Cannot wait to return!

Also, they make amazing cocktails in the bar!!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lsherry25
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Had the great pleasure of attending a wedding last week. Staff were extremely attentive and the service throughout the meal was exceptional. I've been to many weddings and the delivery of food is usually a car crash. The meals arrived to around 100 of us dining on time and exactly to our seating positions. I love when this happens, it really makes the meal a memorable one. Meal was yummy and well presented. Well done to all the team that put so much effort in to making the night a very special one. I would really recommend meeting the young manager Liam. He's extremely sharp and organised and he runs a tight ship. Our Bride was ill on the night and he delayed service, controlled and entertained our crowd until further notice. He really couldn't have done much more to keep our gang extremely happy, he's extremely professional & polite. We will definitely be back soon for some more of the 5 star service at Tinakilly

Room Tip: Ask for Liam the manager