“Worst hotel experience I have ever experienced”

Castle Oaks House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castleconnell
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just back from what was supposed to be a two night stay at this hotel but having had such a horrendous experience we checked out early and did not even stop the second night. I have never written anything on this site before but I felt compelled to do so after our horrendous stay. Myself and my mother arrived around seven in the evening with two small children - a four month old and a three year old. Arriving in late both babies were tired and the small one was screaming. The elderly lady on reception did not so much as glance up at us never mind greet us nor did the other man on reception so much as look up from his computer screen. We had booked what we were told were hotel 'garden suites' which are in actual fact self catering houses minus the kitchen facilities. I was told I could drive round to find them - no offer of help with baggage etc. When I drove around to the 'suite' I called back to reception as I did not think this accommodation would be suitable I had been offered self catering accommodation at time of booking and refused it. The unfriendly reception lady told me she would accommodate us in the main house. Beside a boiler room with constant noise all night long. A service truck collecting laundry was loading and unloading outside our window until 11.30 at night and a store room across from our room was in use by staff from 5.30 in the morning. Not only am I awake as it is with a small child I literally did not get a wink of sleep all night. The rooms were also a mile from reception and with no lift we had to lug everything up and down. We stayed on a Monday and the hotel was dead there really was no need to place us in the rooms we were put in. The hotel is quaint but very dated. The only saving grace was the absolutely lovely girl working in the bar and the bar food was quite good. The lady on reception is missing her calling in the hospitality industry I'm sure she would do well as a headmistress though!!! The difference a bit of hospitality can make in the hospitality industry is unreal! We refused to pay for our nights accommodation and the staff on reception the next day seemed quite nice. Word of warning though do not go to this hotel I have been to many many hotels and never ever been treated with such disregard. We were offered alternative rooms by reception staff the next day as we were booked to stay two nights but the whole experience was ruined for us. And this place is not cheap! Even though they scrimp on both staff and the breakfast buffet selection was minimal. Funny enough none of this would really have bothered me if we'd been treated with a friendly face and made to feel welcome. Avoid like the plague!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012
10  Thank RussAlex

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Just back from a 2 night weekdn stay in the Castle Oaks and cannot praise the pale high enough. There was uite a large group of us both adults and children for a family celebration and we stayed in the Garden Suites which were ideal for what we required. The Garden Suites are very spacious and clean and the only thing they lacked was a firdge but thats a very minor complaint. We ate in the hotel both nights and found the food to be delicious and very reasonable. The hotel setting as stated by other reviewers is perfect, very relaxing and off the beaten track. All in all a wonderful weekend was had by all and many thanks to all staff who couldn't do enough for us from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Hopefully we will return in the future

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeeeeeeh
RiverShannon, Padraig Nolan General Manager at Castle Oaks House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your kind comments. it is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us
It is also great to meet feedback about our staff. It is the friendly and welcoming staff that we pride ourselves most on.
Set on 26 acres of mature gardens on the banks of the River Shannon is the perfect location for a getaway break. The sound of the flowing water as you walk the gardens is tranquil and peaceful. The garden suites offer excellent space for families.
We look forward to welcoming your group back to Castle Oaks to sample and savour more of our genuine Irish hospitality.

Again Many thanks for your review.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is a beautiful retreat just outside Limerick. Walks, views with personality.
They came to our rescue when another hotel lost our reservation and we feel we got lucky for that. The food is excellent for choice and quality. The rooms are large and tranquil. The people are welcoming and engaging. I know I mentioned the food but it’s worth saying twice fabulous.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Marie D
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I felt relaxed as soon as I walked through the door of hotel. I would recommend the hotel to all.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Cat-Agn
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed 3 nights great food very accommodating for food intolerant people soup rolls for coelics were delicious staff were excellent great weekend enjoyed by all

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Frances L
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This review is somewhat a late one. In fact we had our wedding booked here in may 2007. I thought it would be helpful for both the hotel and potentential wedding clients to give a honest review.
The castle oaks grounds are attractive and well maintained and the river at the rear provides very good photos.
The hotel wedding corderiater was very helpful and a great troubleshooter for us. The staff and presentation were all in order and our day went 100%. The food was "spot on" and the service to match. This includes breakfast.
The only pointers I would give to the hotel would be that although the honeymoon suite was fine, replace the plastic roses on the dresser with real ones. Make sure the heating is adequte. Overall, I could not have wanted a better venue as this location is intimate and you are not overcome by overwheleming areas and strangers.
I have noticed on this trip adviser forum of many negative comments to which I feel must be addressed by the owners and some of the comments are both constuctive and unjust.
My only advice to potential wedding customers is to see for yourself and go down to the hotel with all your specyhitc needs and see if they can help. I hope the castle oaks hotel can maintain excellent standards in this climate and accomadate future cleints as they did with us..
The hotel location is in the setting of Castleconnell village and is very pretty.
The Castleoaks has a gym/pool area which is located next to the hotel but this needs work and in my opion to the hotel is a let down but has great potential and if I was the proud owner I would invest in this to a 4/5 star rating area and I belive this would give this hotel a boost and return (I was once a member of this place aswell).
Make your own mind up and check out the hotel/setting for yourselves.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FawltyTowers100
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We attended a wedding at the Castle Oaks House Hotel on New Years Eve and stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Apart from the wedding we were attending there were two more weddings with lots of guests and the hotel was extremely busy. Despite all of that the hotel was excellant, staff were exceptional and the food was brilliant. The setting is lovely and so is the accomadation. For a wedding it was the perfect setting. For anytime of the year it is so lovely.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SHEILSSUSSEX
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleconnell
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Kilmurry Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Castletroy
Lakeside Hotel and Leisure Centre
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Castle Oaks House Hotel? Share your experiences!