“Lovely staff and in a great riverside spot”

Castle Oaks House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castleconnell
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff and in a great riverside spot”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here over the weekend for a wedding - great place for a reception - the bar stayed open all night for us! It's in a gorgeous location on the banks of the river. We stayed in one of the outbuildings - like having our own house!

The staff are lovely. Even though the kitchen had closed by the time we arrived (around 11pm), they made us a sandwich. Breakfast was delicious too, and handy that it was available up till 11.00!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Had a family lunch last Sunday which was a complete success due to the excellent service and food we received. We weren't rushed and got to relax and chat for the afternoon, the staff accommodated all requests and I cannot say enough about the excellent service we had. Great lunch, friendly and professional staff and made feel very welcome. Would highly recommend.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed for my friends wedding, paid €120 for a shabby hotel room. The TV was an old and damaged box that had very few channels. The WIFI was very weak, to the point I couldn't get any signal on my phone. I was very disappointed with the bathroom, the shower heads (there were 2 for some reason) looked old and filthy, we didn't even bother using it because it just looked crap. Also one of the towels was soiled.

The walls are paper thin, we could actually hear other peoples conversations and we were woken up early (not ideal for the morning after a wedding!) by the noise of a shower in another room. I have to say though, the we got room was very big, especially compared to the other rooms. I actually can't even imagine how annoyed I'd be if I was shoved into a box room.

At the reception, the glasses on the table were filthy, they all had water spots and were generally grubby, the cutlery was also dirty with water spots and lumps of food and a coffee cup was dropped at the table with a big lipstick stain on it. Disgusting. The servers were very friendly though.

The price of alcohol started off being .15c more expensive than the hotel bar and the price seemed to increase with every drink, maybe this is a common practice for hotels but it is absolutely disgraceful. A gentleman at the bar queried the pricing with the bar man who completely dismissed him, laughed it off saying it was after 1AM now, as if that justifies it. I did find the bar staff to be rude & cheeky in general.

The only redeeming quality was the food, I have to say it was fabulous, however, this does not make up for the €120 paid for an extremely disappointing stay. This is the most I have ever paid for a hotel room and by far the worst. I will not be staying again & I will certainly not be recommending.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skullprincess
Castletownroche Cork
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had a family lunch last Sunday at this busy hotel and it was a very enjoyable experience. We had a mix of diners (ages 4 - 75) and were very well looked after by the friendly and helpful staff. We dawdled for hours over dinner and were made to feel very welcome and not rushed along at all. The menu options had something for everyone and as the hotel is set on beautiful grounds by the river it is perfect for an afternoon stroll if the weather is kind (which it most certainly was not in our case!).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
LimerickMiddleton, Owner at Castle Oaks House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your excellent review!

It is lovely to see that you rated our hotel so highly and enjoyed the ambience of the manor house.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Kind Regards,
Gobnait O’Connell. M.D.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Castle Oaks hotel for a couple of nights. After reading some reviews on tripadvisor which were great and some others which spoke of dirty rooms and bad management, we were a bit apprehensive. On checking in we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who impressed us no end by her friendly attitude and made us feel welcome straightaway. We were travelling with 3 children, and it was a cause for celebration when the receptionist told us not to worry about having to use the pool before checking out time. She told us that we were welcome to use the leisure facilities even after checking out that day if it was all too tight with getting up and having breakfast etc. I would give the place a 5 star rating just for that kind of welcoming attitude, but the food part of things left plenty to be desired.

The rooms (we were booked in to the Garden Suites) were comfortable and spacious even if a bit barely furnished. It was clean inside and the beds were great. As we had been driving plenty that day we did not want to go out looking for dinner and decided to eat at the hotel. The first night we ate at the bar and were surprised at the boring and unimpressive menu. There was only one vegetarian option (and it was the token, thoughtless pasta with roasted veg) and I asked the waitress if the chef could do something else vegetarian as I am not a pasta fan. She said that the chef could do some stirfry veg with basmati rice which I thought sounded fine. Unfortunately the rice is boil in the bag, sweet disgusting rice and the stirfry veg was a few veg swimming in enormous amounts of oil and sweet chilli sauce from a bottle. It was very disappointing and I wish I had my camera to hand as it looked so unappetising that you would have to see it to believe it. Two of the children had something from the kids menu which they seemed to like and the other one decided to be adventurous and settled on the chicken chauser which was special of the day which he said he loved. My partner went for a burger which she said was fine. The service was not great as there were only two waitresses and they seemed too distracted and busy. Breakfast was once again very disappointing - the only vegetarian thing was grilled tomatoes! So I decided to just have crossaints and jam and there was only one on a tray. I let another guest have that and waited for nearly half an hour to see if the tray would be replenished and it was not. So I had a scone instead and some coffee. Pretty bad for a four star hotel really.

The grounds are stunning and there are a few walks you can go on. It was raining heavily both the days we were there, so could not do much walking around. The pool is tiny but clean. The changing rooms though could do with more regular cleaning. The toilets in the men's room were really foul and looked like they had not been cleaned in ages and the floor full of grime and hair. No wet kit bags and strangely they charge € 1 per towel (even for hotel guests) which they dont inform you of before.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. We very much value guest feedback. I was delighted to hear the compliments regarding our staff here and will pass on your compliment directly to them but very disappointed to read your comments relating to our bar food. We have designed a new bar menu which has been launched earlier this week. I am shocked to hear that you were not happy with the food & service as we are renowned for both, I would be delighted if you contact me directly to discuss further.

I hope that you will make a return visit to the hotel on another occasion.
Kind Regards,
Gobnait O’Connell M.D.
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a family suite in the Castle Oaks House Hotel with my wife, baby daughter and mother/father in law.

The hotel is in the lovely village of Castleconnell on the outskirts of Limerick. The suite, with living area downstairs and 2 en suite rooms upstairs was ideal for us with an exploring little baby. Comfy beds and spotlessly clean with tea making facilities. Guests can also stay in the main house or self catering houses.

The grounds are lovely on the banks of the Shannon river. The food in the bar was really tasty as was the hearty breakfast each morning. The staff were very friendly and welcoming throughout our stay and very accommodating for our little baby. They quickly prepared baby bowls of veg and mash for her which got her seal of approval too :-) Guests can also eat in the restaurant, although we opted for the Island Bar. One of the girls, Stephanie, was particularly helpful, but all the staff are a credit to the hotel and made our stay a pleasant one.

It is also a great location for a trip into Limerick city for some shopping or to Bunratty Castle and folk park, which is a short drive away ... and well worth a visit.

The bar is good for a drink too. The staff put on the Champions League game for my father in law and I too. It was only a 30 second walk back to the main hotel from our suite.

Highly recommend it to anyone visiting the West of Ireland.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed our location .We appreciate all guest feedback we receive and from this we are continually able to improve our product and services. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. King Regards, Gobnait O’Connell MD
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We recently had a birthday lunch with family and friends to celebrate my mother-in-law's 80th birthday. We really enjoyed it. The food was excellent and the service was friendly and efficient. We were accomodated by staff and management in a friendly manner putting us all at our ease, given that we were a very mixed group, young and old, able-bodied and not so able! There was no rushing us out when the meal was over and we could sit and chat at our leisure with no pressure to move on. We'll be back for the next big occasion!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your family occasion. We are delighted to hear that your experience of our country house was warm and cosy. We work hard at ensuring our guests experience the highest level of quality ,service and comfort. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind Regards, Gobnait O’Connell MD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleconnell
Kilmurry Lodge Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Absolute Hotel
Absolute Hotel
#1 of 20 in Limerick

Been to Castle Oaks House Hotel? Share your experiences!