“25th Wedding anniversary”
Review of Old Castle House

Old Castle House
Ranked #2 of 4 Glin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 December 2011

During our two week trip through Ireland for our 25th, we had the privilage of staying at the Old Castle House in Glin. First, it is simply beautiful there. Next to a brook that leads a very short distance to the River Shannon. The room was quite warm and comfortable and our hostess was very friendly. We found this the perfect place to stay while exploring Northeast to Limerick and then Southeast to Dingle. I highly recommend Old Castle House.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Phil H

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We made a last minute change in our itinerary and stopping near the ferry was a good plan. It turned out Glin really isn't a great place to stay. Old Castle House was good. The room was a queen (really a double) and a twin. Breakfast was good. The problem was there was no place to eat, even though it was a Friday night. The one restaurant in town was closed and the pubs served no food. We ended up with take away food, cole slaw dumped on chips, dumped on chicken. Not appetizing. A pretty area to see but not an area that caters to tourists.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kglen1
Reviewed 4 August 2011

En-route to another location I spent a night at Old Castle House. I got a great welcome, a big cup of tea and biscuits and an comfy room overlooking the river at the back of the house. What really made Old Castle House for me was that when I got a call from work to do an item at short notice the owners could not have been more helpful in facilitating me. I could sit on after breakfast at the table with my laptop, use the wi-fi and I was able to work very comfortably in my room. As I moved around the house the morning before I left I could not help but noticing how helpful and welcoming the owners were to guests as they arrived, in particular I remember to an American party who had just come in from an overnight flight into Shannon. I got fresh eggs for breakfast, met the hens that laid the eggs in the garden afterwards, got a great night's sleep and got all the assignment that snuck up on me completed. Old Castle House is a really lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2011

This was my second stay at Oldcastle House. I was greeted by Jack and we shared a pot of coffee in the sunshine.
The room was cosy and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was tasty and very well presented.
I would strongly recommend Oldcastle as a comfortable and welcoming place to stay.
There is an outdoor hot tub. I didn't use it myself but other guests took time to enjoy it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NollaigMacAnStocaire
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We spent one night here after flying from the US to Shannon Airport. It was about an hour from the airport so was ideal for us since we were tired and hadn't much experience driving on the left side of the road. The home is beautiful and meticulously kept. We were very surprised to hear that the home is only ten years old because it was very solidly built and had the charm of an older home. The grounds, too, are lovingly cared for and the brook running beside the home provided soothing background noise. It was all absolutely charming. The owners, Jack and Esther Dunne, were very kind. Breakfast was superb. It is a small village, so it's a good place for a peaceful, relaxing vacation or an overnight stop on the way to a busier place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I was visiting the Southwest coast of Ireland with two friends for four days and we had booked the Old Castle House with our hosts Jack and Ester Dunne. We absolutely enjoyed our stay. They made us feel so welcome and couldn't do enough for us. The rooms were beautiful, clean and welcoming. We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights and decided that there was nothing to complain about. Each morning breakfast was prepared exactly when we asked it to be and how we wanted it prepared. Wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2011

This was one of our favorite bed and breakfasts in Ireland. It was in a small, quaint town and the owners of this home also own a local pub where everyone there was extremely friendly and great. We stayed in a beautiful, clean room and were even given fresh eggs from the hens on the farm to eat. We were so happy with this place and it was the perfect spot to stay on our honeymoon. Would highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Every room is great.