“A restful retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Glin B&B and Inns
West Kilbride, United Kingdom
“A restful retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have stayed here on many occassions. I was hooked after the first stay and didn't want to look elsewhere on my visits to the area (work takes me to Foynes for one week every month). Each time I have been welcomed with a sincere warmth which has made me feel immediatley at rest and peace. The house if fabulous with the feeling and furniture of an old house although it is in fact a much younger house, which for me gives the ideal house.
Esther and Jack provide one of my favourite places to stay of all.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank WingtipCork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

This was a quaint castle house we found on our way around the Ring of Kerry. It has charm and character but our bed was too hot and the pillows not good, but apart from that our room was spacious. We had a delicious breakfast. The grounds are lovely and a little brook runs through the garden, not bad for 70 pounds. We ate dinner at the Kirby Family Hotel which was rather full for a Sunday night, the food wasn't bad and it was only a 5 minute drive.
The location was good, amenities good and charming host.
Barbara & Neville Australia

Room Tip: We had upstairs room overlooking little brook.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank barnev169
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Spent one night during our honeymoon trip through Ireland. Owners were very friendly, and made a nice full Irish in the morning.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank jparon
Bardstown, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

During our two week trip through Ireland for our 25th, we had the privilage of staying at the Old Castle House in Glin. First, it is simply beautiful there. Next to a brook that leads a very short distance to the River Shannon. The room was quite warm and comfortable and our hostess was very friendly. We found this the perfect place to stay while exploring Northeast to Limerick and then Southeast to Dingle. I highly recommend Old Castle House.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Phil H
Rotonda West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We made a last minute change in our itinerary and stopping near the ferry was a good plan. It turned out Glin really isn't a great place to stay. Old Castle House was good. The room was a queen (really a double) and a twin. Breakfast was good. The problem was there was no place to eat, even though it was a Friday night. The one restaurant in town was closed and the pubs served no food. We ended up with take away food, cole slaw dumped on chips, dumped on chicken. Not appetizing. A pretty area to see but not an area that caters to tourists.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kglen1
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

En-route to another location I spent a night at Old Castle House. I got a great welcome, a big cup of tea and biscuits and an comfy room overlooking the river at the back of the house. What really made Old Castle House for me was that when I got a call from work to do an item at short notice the owners could not have been more helpful in facilitating me. I could sit on after breakfast at the table with my laptop, use the wi-fi and I was able to work very comfortably in my room. As I moved around the house the morning before I left I could not help but noticing how helpful and welcoming the owners were to guests as they arrived, in particular I remember to an American party who had just come in from an overnight flight into Shannon. I got fresh eggs for breakfast, met the hens that laid the eggs in the garden afterwards, got a great night's sleep and got all the assignment that snuck up on me completed. Old Castle House is a really lovely place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

This was my second stay at Oldcastle House. I was greeted by Jack and we shared a pot of coffee in the sunshine.
The room was cosy and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was tasty and very well presented.
I would strongly recommend Oldcastle as a comfortable and welcoming place to stay.
There is an outdoor hot tub. I didn't use it myself but other guests took time to enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo