Old Castle House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ceol Na Habhann(Listowel)
View Hotel
Devon Inn Hotel(Newcastle West)
View Hotel
Longcourt House Hotel(Newcastle West)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bbreakfast was deliciousgreat hostsplace to staywithin walking distanceold world charmstayed here for one nightstream runningbed and breakfastfree wifimisterpropertypintshannonirelanddunn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We have recently returned from our first trip to Ireland to celebrate our 25th anninversary. Glin and the Old Castle Inn was our last stop after 10 days and what a treat it was! The inn was impeccable and we were surrounded by charming antiques. The property is so picturesque and we could hear the stream from our bedroom windows which was so calming. We could also see the sunset on Shannon Bay and it was lovely. Ester and Jack couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. Breakfast was amazing (eggs fresh from their own chickens) and they were so accomodating to help us make our stay memorable. I wouldn't have missed out on this gem of a B & B.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patty K
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We visited Glin recently and stayed two nights at Old Castle House. On arrival we got a wonderful reception and were treated to tea and lovely home made cake. Our room was delightful and comfortable and we enjoyed a wholesome Irish breakfast which set us up for the day touring the beautiful Shannon Estuary. When we revisit Glin we plan to return to Old Castle House which provides top class accommodation and is highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maurice H
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a night on our way from southern Ireland to northern Ireland. The people who run it are wonderful and so warm and welcoming. They were very flexible with us, and the breakfast was amazing. The house and grounds are stellar, very beautiful. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shannon S
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This was my 3rd time, a total of 5 nights, in the last 5 years that I've stayed with Jack & Ester. If you really want to get the feel for the Irish people and Irish hospitality, you must stay in any one of the fine Irish B&B's and this one is on the Tops of my B&B Recommendations for the West of Ireland. Finally got to meet Ester in person and this time I happened to be staying on my birthday along with another couple who was also celebrating a birthday on the same day and The Dunne's made it memorable. I make it a point to stay here whenever I visit Ireland and Jack and Ester have become like my Irish Family. The Accommodations are cozy and comfortable. Fresh Eggs in the morning supplied by the Dunne's Chickens accent a wonderful Irish Breakfast and it's always a treat to finish off the evening with a couple pints and a dram around the corner at the Dunne's Bar est in 1820 then take a short walk back to the B&B to settle in for a cozy night's sleep.

Glin is a small town on the Shannon where you can just sit by the stream with some tea and relax or, if you're like me, that makes a good base for any number of day trips in the SouthWest and West of Ireland...for instance: to the Ring of Kerry & Dingle Area about 1 hour or so south, Foynes Flying Boat Museum (where the Pan Am Flying Boats used to dock and where Irish Coffee was invented) just 15 minutes down the road, Limerick City and King John's Castle about 30 to 45 minutes further East, Bunratty Castle & Folk Park (a must visit...give yourself 2 to 3 hours minimum) about 1 hour around the eastern end of the Shannon then head up to the Cliffs of Moher (about another hour or so further) and back down the west Coast of Co. Clare as the sun sets... taking a Ferry Ride across the Shannon from Kilmer to Tarbert.

Glin is quiet and the pubs don't serve food so, with only 2 take away places in town ask Jack & Ester for a recommendation to one of the nearby Restaurants...The Old Stand Bar & Restaurant in Shanagolden (about 20 minute ride) is very comfortable with a very good menu and a nice bar or Enright's in Tarbert is quaint with a nice menu that often includes fresh fish...but get there early.

Room Tip: If you like the sound of gurgling brooks ask for 1 of the 2 rooms that over look the stream running along side the house.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Westernhorizon
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have stayed here on many occassions. I was hooked after the first stay and didn't want to look elsewhere on my visits to the area (work takes me to Foynes for one week every month). Each time I have been welcomed with a sincere warmth which has made me feel immediatley at rest and peace. The house if fabulous with the feeling and furniture of an old house although it is in fact a much younger house, which for me gives the ideal house.
Esther and Jack provide one of my favourite places to stay of all.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business