“Old world but clean”

and 1 more site!
Achill Sound Hotel (Ostan Gob a'Choire)
Ranked #4 of 4 Achill Sound B&B and Inns
Waterford, Ireland
“Old world but clean”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This hotel was clean, rooms old fashioned and very small, (long time since I ve come accross a double bed up against a wall) bathroom tiny and could do with a make over. General clean up and tidy around the grounds is really necessary, the view from the window was onto something that resembled a makeshift building site, wouldnt cost a lot but would be a bit improvement. Dinner was served in the bar, overall it was tasty but the amount of vegetables were almost non existant on the plate, dessert was needed to suplement main course. Breakfast next morning was basic. Staff were very friendly, in particular the owner Peter had a friendly word for all his customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ellen w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We walked into the bar and were greeted by a lovely young boy named Colin we asked if we could check in and he replied one minute until he gets Peter, we asked him where they greenway was located and he gave us directions and told us of popular tourist attractions on the island, (i highly recommend everyone whos staying near achill cycle the green way) the owner who was very friendly checked us in, my opinion changed of him the day we were leaving though when I saw the way he spoke to Colin he turned around to us and said he had to put smacht on the youth or something along the lines of that the room was lovely, bathroom was a bit grubby but overall experience excellent stayed there August 2012

Room Tip: Try to get a room at front of hotel view much nicer in my opinion
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cathal M
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I stayed for a week in Achill Sound. The town itself is quiet and small, but there is plenty to do around the town. Lots of hiking trails, and great sights on the Atlantic Drive and Minaun Heights. If you take the Atlantice Drive, make sure to stop at the Old Kildownet Cemetery and Kildavnet Tower. Beautiful walk (but long) for those who enjoy hiking. Minaun Heights has some of the best views of the island. Challenging hike, but there is a paved road to the top if you have a car. When walking through town, make sure to stop in at Kieran Sweeney's gift shop and woolen goods. Kieran and his wife are friendly, and will share some of the best sights. Lots of great accomodations. I recommend Scanlon' Rose Cottage just outside of town. Very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed at Achill Sound Hotel for five days in May 2012 and have only good things to say about the experience. The food was excellent, the ambience warm and inviting, the location terrific, the rooms basic but clean and more than adequate, and the rates quite reasonable. And the owners are lovely people. I'd definitely return and indeed plan to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank hill_gerry
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2012

going on the previous comments about the friendly owner, I can only assume I got him on a bad day. It really left a bad taste. A group of 5 of us went in there to have a drink/bite to eat and there was no sign of anyone to serve us. I went to the bathroom while the others waited for service. Bathroom was smelly and according to the cleaning sheet, it hadn't been cleaned that day yet (it was about lunchtime). When I emerged, my friends had gone! Turns out they got fed up waiting and the place was a bit grubby anyway so they weren't sure about eating/drinking there. What happened next was shocking. As I was leaving, the owner guy appeared and was really sarcastic - sneering "thanks for your custom" etc. It really bothered me so I went back in and said "that's not nice". The childish sarcasm continued (I think he mimiced me or something). He even followed me out the door and continued bad-mouthing. I have to admit I then used bad language back to him which I now regret because that's not very good of me (so I apologise if you're reading this). Look, I understand it's frustrating when someone comes in and then leaves your premises. Maybe he thought we just came in to use the bathroom (although the 5 of us wouldn't come in for just 1 to use the bathroom - so if that's what he thought then he was wrong and ill-advised to react that way anyway). We intended to give our custom but the joint wasn't up to standard, nor was the service - so we left. That was our experience - others may have a different (and better) experience and good luck to them. That's life. However, because of the chip-on-the-shoulder, world-owes-me-a-living, disrespectful and arrogant attitude (that thankfully is disappearing in Irish tourism), I will never return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank J D
armagh
Reviewed 18 July 2012

stayed one night in this hotel in july 2012. The owner checked us in to this family run hotel and we were made to feel very welcome. The room was small but clean, the food in the bar was excellent value and quality and served by a smiling waitress. Breakfast was the best i've had in ages. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and owners- all in all a very pleasant stay at great value.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Derby
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We popped into the Achill Sound Hotel for Lunch whilst driving round the coast line. We were welcomed by the Proprietor and served drinks at the bar. After chatting we ordered a light lunch which was tasty when it arrived. i had the Seafood Chowder and really enjoyed it! The host was polite and we were well looked after during our lunch. It was not particularly busy whilst we were there and we managed to have a nice relaxed chat with the owner. A lovely place to visit with great food and a friendly welcome! Thank-you!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Achill Cliff House Hotel
Achill Lodge
Achill Lodge
#5 of 12 in Keel

Been to Achill Sound Hotel (Ostan Gob a'Choire)? Share your experiences!