“Where's the beach?”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grouville
London, United Kingdom
“Where's the beach?”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Spent a week in this hotel, and my first impression was: where's the beach? It is a good 20/30 minute walk away along tarmac roads! Overall this place looked OK, and by and large, the staff worked very hard, and food average. Whilst we were staying there though, there was a family consisting of 2 adults and 3 kids - they occupied the rooms above ours, and the noise levels were at times unbearable! I was informed that this man was a "millionaire" and was considering buying the hotel. This is not what I would have expected from a prosepctive purchaser: to bring along wife and unruly children and wreck the peaceful break that most people expect when on holiday. It was noticeable that this family were given carte blanc whilst they stayed - including the father [millionaire] throwing his cigarette ends over the wall by the swimming pool! Frankly, I couldn't care less if he was the sheik of arabi - his behaviour proved the old adage "money doesn't buy good grace/manners or consideration for the other guests at the hotel who had paid good money to stay! Needless to say, I will never go back. And most certainly if this millionare does indeed purchase the place there's not a cat in hell's chance! Pity as this place could have been the little haven I had hoped for. Also my first trip to Jersey, I normally do long haul and hotel stays include Hilton & Sheriton, perhaps I should have done more research?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank mogeorges

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I was booked for a 5 night stay at this hotel. When I arrived I was pleased with the setting. At reception I was told my room had been trashed by the previous occupant and that I was being transferred to another comparable hotel. I found myself dumped outside a no -star pub in a really busy location. They refused to accomodated me even when the manager at the pub phoned. I went on holiday in July, the room had been booked via Ilkeston Co-op in January. Maybe they don't appreciate single occupancy, I would not recommend this hotel, or if you go there, don't fall for this scam, refuse to be moved to another hotel.

Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Sham S
kent uk
Reviewed 11 October 2011

we stayed at the beachcomber for 10 night in september the same time as geoff an jackie and i would agree with every thing he said about the hotel and staff, i do agree with him over the size portion of the bread in the evening, sneeze and you would lose it, other than that every thing else was really nice , we were in room 6 very good size shower really good water flowed well, yes it could do with updating but really you only sleep in the room, not spend all your time in it, anyway again i would say a really nice friendly place to stay. .

1 Thank rosemaryralph
Canvey island Essex
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights at this hotel for our 40th anniversary holiday.
The hotel is a small, very well run, spotlessly clean establishment approx 15 minutes brisk walk from Gorey harbour and beach.
Situated amongst farmland there is adequate parking and a small pool, our room was at the rear of the property which was very quiet, but I would imagine those rooms at the front may not be as quiet.
The standards of cleanliness in our room and all of the other areas of the hotel which we used was excellent.
Breakfast was a buffett afair with full english, an array of cereals fruits, nuts, and yoghurt, plenty of toast and jam, honey, marmalade and my favourite, marmite. Fresh perked coffee and tea, all of this was help yourself so a good breakfast set you up for the day.
Evening meal was waitress served and from a choice of one of three for each course, a vegetarian option was always available.
The food was well cooked and presented, always piping hot and very tasty, Chefs friday fish fry was excellent, although not the largest portions I have been offered, I was always contented after the three courses( and I can eat for England, my wife said the portions were the correct size for normal people ) Fresh french bread was served with dinner, but PLEASE cut it a bit chunkier, it shouldnt be sliced.
Every member of staff we came into contact with was polite, efficient, smartly dressed and above all extrmely friendly, James the manager enjoyed a bit of banter once he got the measure of you, and Heidi his assistant was extremely helpfull and friendly.
The owner of the hotel visited his property on a daily basis and obviously cared that his guests would enjoy their stay.
I read many reviews before I went, and was pleaseantly satisfied with our stay, we will definitely return to the Beachcombers.
It is my opinion that some guest expecy west end hotels at east end prices, please get real............I personally think that you would be hard pressed to find better value for money in this lovely part of Jersey.
Jeff and Jacquie Golding

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter
4 Thank jeff G
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

This is a good 3 star hotel in a great position. Surrounded by countryside with views at the rear over fields and hills and even a view of Gorey Castle. We got a great deal with an 'All Inclusive' package which included or evening meal with wineand other drinks. Food was fine. There were 3 choices for the main course for dinner which included a fish, meat or vegetarian option every evening. Buffet dessert table.Good breakfast,too. Staff charming and helpful, especially the bar manager and James, the manager. Our room was on the first floor and looked over the gardens/car park. Not a big room but had everything.Bathroom spotless with efficient shower.We were lucky to be there in that hot week at the end of September. The pool was open, plenty of sunbeds around the pool and on the lawns in the well-kept gardens. Never had a problem parking, even though the hotel was full. The bus service was well-used by a lot of hotel guests, who found it very convenient as there is a bus-stop near the hotel. Most guests we spoke to said that they found the hotel very good value and would come again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms open onto the terrace and may not have a 'view' but would be ideal for le...
Silsden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Booked as part of a short break package, we stayed on a b&b basis for 3 nights. Staff were generally friendly, and James on reception deserves special mention. The room was adequate and spotlessly clean, but the decor and furnishings were plain and somewhat tired. We chose to eat in on the first night, and although the menu was limited we felt we had value for money. On the second night we were less impressed, and on the third we ate out, and wished we had done so earlier! Breakfast was ok. Car parking was a bit shambolic, and if you arrived late you might struggle to find a place. I'm sure we'll go back to Jersey, but not sure about the Beachcombers. £13.95 for a two course meal where the main course was a two-egg plain omellette and chips was a bridge too far.

2 Thank Daleswalker52
clochester essex
Reviewed 24 September 2011

V and J stayed here on BB board. We had a great time. Nothing to much trouble for any of the staff. Very clean ,friendly, quiet, small hotel,bedrooms ample with excellant bathroom and cleaned every day.Breakfast was very good with huge selection. A hotel in land but with nice grounds and a 15min walk to the sea front on the edge of the golf club. It was a 40 min pleasent walk to gorey, there was an excellent bus service if the walk is to far for some. Bus stop 5min walk away. We had some lovely sunny days and spent time round the lovely outdoor pool on the sun loungers. Plenty of room to park the hire car at hotel. All in all a great place to stay and be able to go out and about and eplore this beautiful island by bus, hire car or for the walkers.

Room Tip: room with swimmng pool and back garden view would be nice
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grouville
Hotel de France
#2 of 5 in StSaviour
Hotel La Place
Hotel La Place
#1 of 16 in St Brelade

Been to Beachcombers Hotel? Share your experiences!