“Not Good At All”

Olanda Guest House
Ranked #7 of 7 St Aubin B&B and Inns
“Not Good At All”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed in this property with my with because it was quite cheap but we were very shocked at the state of the place. When we arrived it took a while to find the place it was not very easy to find we had to ring to find the place. When we got there we were shown our room as soon as you walked in the smell off the room instantly hits you not pleasant at all. We looked in the bathroom which is sort of hidden behind a door the base around the shower was appalling quite stained needs to be refurbish but we still could not find the cause off the smell. Eventually after a full inspection off the room we found that the net curtains were plastered in dirt and you could see all the damp across the bottom of the doorway and they were specs of mould along of the bottom of the net curtains. I will not stay here again and there need so serious updating.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dannidude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

When I book a guest house I always look for two features: free WIFI and a car park for my rental car. Both features were describe on the website. But there was no WIFI on the room, so I could not work. And the car park was only for two cars and full (even it said in the description of the guest house that no reservation for the car park is necessary), so I had to pay for my parking and had to walk quite a bit to my car. Which is a bit of a nuisance if you have a lot of luggage.
For the price I paid I didn't really get a lot. I know Jersey quite well and I know there are better places for less money.
The room is quite dated and sort of shabby. The bathroom needs urgently a renovation - it smells quite unpleasant. There is a terrace, but it is so shabby and dirty, you don't really like to use it.
The good thing about the guest house is the location. Very quite but yet close to all restaurants and pubs and the port of St Aubin.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JoanaTicino

Travellers are raving about these St Aubin hotels

Liverpool
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on 3 occassions and found it most pleasant. Phil and his staff are Friendly and very accommodating nothing too much trouble. The rooms are to a good standard, the breakfast is superb and the location fantastic. Parking is limited but Phil is very helpful and with considerate parking by customers a lot is achieved. I would recommend this hotel to anybody. Well done Phil and Marie.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank wildyLiverpool
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Olanda. It was very enjoyable - lovely breakfast and a lovely view from the bedroom. As other posters have commented, the parking can be a bit tricky but ther is a knack to it, no doubt!!!. Had a hire car for 4 days so we went all around the island. We absolutely love the stunning views at Corbiere lighthouse and went 4 times. We also visited the Underground Tunnels - that was well worth visiting - just take extra clothing, its very cold!!. Having driven around the whole island, we still feel that St. Aubin is the best resort - lovely beach, harbour as well as other facilities, restaurants, shops etc. We can't wait to return again in the near future.

Room Tip: Room with balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hoochie28
La Rochelle, France
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We had booked at Olanda for two nights and really thought about leaving only a few hours after our arrival!
We are used to stay at B&Bs and obviously do not expect the same standard as in hotels or boutiques but this one really was terrible.
Here are the different points that we noted during this stay:

Room: How can this B&B be granted 2 stars??? Its dated furnishing could be overlooked if it were at least clean!! But, the rooms are not even maintained properly. In the bedroom, the bedcover had suspicious white stains, the paint had gone from part of the walls and even the door was dirty. I would also recommend avoiding preparing a cup of tea, since I found a DEAD BUG FLOATING in the kettle that had not been emptied when the previous customer left! (please see attached pictures)
In the bathroom, the shower curtain was rusty and the shower receiver had been fixed carelessly: cement from the seals was stuck on the floor.

Garden: The advertised garden on the website is actually not accessible to customers. It is obviously left to ruin since the weeds now entirely occupy the barbecue area…

Location : We already knew St Aubin and it is true that this B&B location is just gorgeous, close to all local amenities. But to enjoy this location, you have to find the B&B and the directions to get there are just misleading: you can find a sign at the entrance of the main street (about 500m before the B&B) but this sign is just not understandable. (please, see attached picture).

Parking : Some qualified it of being tricky. I would rather stick with the nightmare description. It would not have been a problem for us, had the owner been pleasant or at least polite...

Owner : We had never been received in such a rude manner! As requested when we made our booking over the phone, I sent an email to Phil to inform him of our time of arrival and give him my cell phone number. I never received any answer to this email and nobody was home when we arrived: this really was not an issue since an envelop with the our key was left in the lobby for us.
At the time of our arrival (in the middle of the afternoon), the parking lot was deserted, except for two cars. Having read the reviews, my husband decided to park alongside one of these cars in order not to block the other car. Then we decided to enjoy the glorious weather and take a stroll in St Aubin. We finally came back to the B&B after diner. There we were greeted by an unknown man, expecting us on the doorstep and asking if we were the "French people" (charming). He did not introduce himself and started shouting at us that things could not be done this way, that our car was not parked properly and that our behaviour was unacceptable : this was Phil the "nice" owner !!! (True, the car that we had parked close to, had moved and Phil had made the arriving cars parked in such a way that at this time ours was strangely posted in the parking lot). But how could have we guessed HIS way of arranging his car park when nobody was there to give us any instructions??? That is what I asked Phil... His answer : you just need common sense !! What a nice way to make your customers feel stupid! We tried to explain that nobody was parked when we arrived or that he could have called on our cell phone to ask us to move the car but the only thing this person could do was shouting and accusing us of having absolutely no common sense ! He tried to be nice to us during the rest of our stay but this disastrous first "welcome" was just too much to bear!

In conclusion : NEVER AGAIN!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ptitekatia
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Stopped in jersey for two nights and stayed at the Orlando guest house. We four it clean, friendly, and the breakfast was really good. It's not very clearly signposted and a bit awkward to drive into the entrance, but really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
liverpool
Reviewed 6 August 2012

we really enjoyed our stay had lovely balony room breakfast was excellent .Location is great and bus service right on door step .This was our first time in jersey but will definetly return to olanda thanks again to phil and marie.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
#4 of 20 in St Helier
Undercliff Guest House
Undercliff Guest House
#1 of 2 in Trinity

Been to Olanda Guest House? Share your experiences!