“Not impressed one bit!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 St Aubin B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Not impressed one bit!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

Only stayed for one night (Thankfully)
No parking when I arrived, ok so it was a Friday night, but ended up parking ¾mile away!!!
Breakfast time was when things got Bad!
Of the eight items of cutlery on the table five were not clean and on turning over the coffee cup was greeted with a distinct tide mark around the cup.
Needless to say, could not wait to get out of there!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CDHandley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

After ordering drinks and food with my husband and grandson, we waited 45 minutes and still no food/drinks. When I tried to get the attention of the waitress she simply raised her hand as though to tell me to wait! When people who were arriving after us were receiving both drinks and food I went to speak to the waitress to say that we have been waiting 45 minutes and we still don't even have a drink. My 2 year old grandson had still not had his lunch and we could not wait any longer. I told her to cancel the order and she just shrugged her shoulders like she didn't care. This is the 3rd time I have been to the restaurant over the last 3 years, each time hoping it may get better and that perhaps each bad experience was just an off day, but I can safely say I will not be wasting my time or money on staff who do not deserve it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Just back from a couple of nights at the Old Court House and having looked again at the website, I must say I’m now quite disappointed. We were there with friends and the rooms we had look nothing like the photos, almost to the point where I feel they are very misleading. Our room apparently had a sea view and I suppose if you stick your head out of the window and look around the corner then yes you can see the sea but it certainly isn’t a sea view.

The 2 words that sum the rooms up are tired and dated. The bedroom itself is fine, it has some old furniture which is ok, not particularly attractive and a bed where the mattress has seen better days. The bathroom needs ripping out. It’s straight out of the 80s and not in a good way. I’d keep the taps but bin the rest! It was immaculately clean so no complaints there but for the money, you’d expect better. Our friends’ bathroom was revolting - bright pink – floor, tiles and fittings!

The bar in the hotel is pretty popular and unfortunately this means it’s quite loud. So if you have a room above the courtyard be prepared for music and chat that could keep you awake. We went to bed around 12.30 and the music (and bass) was still going strong – lucky I’m not a light sleeper!

The rest of the hotel is also a little dated but the staff are extremely friendly and would help out with any request. We ate in the restaurant one night, it was decent – lovely cod goujons but overcooked pork belly. Wine was good and well priced.

Personally I wouldn’t stay here again but I suppose if you had a different room (not 4 or 5) then they could be nicer. Shame, could be so much better but at £90 a night out of season, it’s way overpriced.

Room Tip: Not room 5.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I came with my mum for the second time, Kirsty greeted me like an old friend and was a bit disappointed cause I'm taller than her now!!!!! we stayed in room 9 again, it was fab and well heated as it's still a bit chilly!!! Breakfast yummy and plenty of it, I love this place and was praying for fog so we could stay longer!!! We will return again, this is the only hotel for me on jersey. Thanks again for a fab weekend. Sam aged 13.

Room Tip: Room 9 two bedrooms a lounge and a sun terrace with great views over st.aubins.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in low season.

Our double room was a bit cramped (mainly due to the wonderfully large double bed)! The room and the bathroom were spotlessly clean but the bathroom was quite dated. However both were perfectly acceptable, although a dressing table would have been useful as, although I didn't mind, I can imagine some guests would prefer not to kneel in front of a mirror to use the hairdrier.

We were in Room 1 with two sash windows overlooking the delightful harbour, so a really lovely position, in the prettiest part of St Aubin.

We had a bar snack one evening and a full meal on another and had breakfast each morning and we thought the food was good and the restaurants and bar areas really lovely and interesting.

But the biggest plus about this hotel were the staff. Without exception, they were friendly, helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Went shortly before Christmas with a group of about 14 people. Always difficult to manage large groups. But I have to say everything was excellent - very well managed and not at all rushed. Service was excellent. From relaxing at the bar whilst we choose our meals right through the rest of the service. Attentative without being obtrusive.

Getting meals out for that many people is also a difficult thing to get absolutley right. Personally I think that managed that very well. Food was excellent.. It's a great restaurant - some might call it old fashioned compared with the plastic and chrome places you get in many souless locations. But this fits in perfectly with the surroundings. Traditional old restaurant with bags of character, good quality food. Location is excellent - overlooks the harbour in St Aubin and price is reasonable as well.

The advantage with St Aubin is that there are so many good places to eat. Which means that standards have to be maintained. Still one of my favourites and will definitely be back - in the summer it's a great place to sit outside and share a fruit de mer.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Having previously lived on Jersey for 26 years, and having visited the OCH many, many times as a local for drinks/food, this was the first time we and our 2 friends has stayed there. The stay was flawless. Reception staff could not have been more helpful, as were the restaurant staff.
Food excellent at dinner, cooked spot on to our requirements. The food is not 'cheap' but certainly value for money; 'good things cost money'. (a very large, very fresh chancre crab for £16 is serious value for money)
We stayed for 3 nights and ate every evening in the hotel. Every dish over the 3 evenings was excellent. The seafood was super fresh and perfectly served. Get a table in the 'Mizzen' restaurant with fantastic views over St. Aubins harbour.
If you do not stay here, it is only you that will lose out.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 have fantastic views over the harbour. They also have unusual character.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
#9 of 16 in St Brelade
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#4 of 31 in St Helier

Been to The Old Court House Inn? Share your experiences!