“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 7 St Aubin B&B and Inns
Walsall
“Excellent”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

What a lovely place! We ended up at the Old Courthouse, having walked past a few others along the strip. One, Salty Dog or something similar, had a menu that looked gorgeous but expensive and all the tables outside were booked up for Sunday lunch. We were glad that we ended up at the Old Courthouse though. A lovely, relaxed and informal place, with views of the harbour. Good seating, parasols etc for sun and shade. The service was so good, we had no quibbles paying the 10% service charge at all - happy, friendly and attentive, what more can you ask for? The main bonus was, however, the fact that, for £19.50 we had a three course meal (with lobster and prawn for starters, half a grilled lobster for main and a mille feuille for dessert, oh and a coffee too) which was delicious. Such excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Moreton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

What a fantastic week. This is not the cheapest place in Jersey but it has to be THE most welcoming experience we have had in many a long year due in no small measure to the wonderful staff. What the room and bathroom lacked in modern facilities was counteracted by the over-all 'INN' experience, which is why we booked this place instead of one of the big hotels in the first place.
I don't deal in opinions I deal in facts when writing reviews because everyone’s opinion is different and can be swayed by the weather.
Bad stuff first. Parking is a pain, FACT, but any hotel on the island has the same problem and it's not the fault of the hoteliers, but here, Kirsty went out of her way to help us. The bathroom looked a bit 'tired'. The shower mixer tap was a wee bit iffy and the under sink area was a wee bit dusty!! Overall standard of the room was good with views over the harbour just perfect for that final evening night-cap but would benefit from some future investment, which I hope will happen!
Only had one bad night sleep and that's because the Mr and Mrs Smith couple next door were at it until 1am in the morning. We mentioned it to Kirsty who was very keen to deal with any complaints there and then. No point in complaining after you leave is it!

Plus side. To many to mention but here goes. The food was fantastic (that's an opinion because our tastes are different from yours), the staff were fantastic the beer was served at the right temp, which is essential for Real Ale lovers.
If you like fish, then this is the place for you. We had a meal in the Bistro, in the Restaurant, in the bar, all of which were great and plentiful.
If you like meat dishes, then this is the place for you. We had a meal in the Bistro, in the Restaurant, in the bar, all of which were great and plentiful.

Please don't be put off by some of the negative comments you may see about the Old Court House, if you want modern go elsewhere, if you want rustic you may find it meets your needs but it must be tried.
We came here with no expectations, but we left with happy memories and a need to return and if you get that feeling, then The Old Court House Inn has done it's job.

Finally our thanks to all the staff, Kirsty, Ana, Lucy, Carlos, Adam, Kiefier, and Nina who doesn’t know what a single Southern Comfort is, only doubles. See you all soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mick G
Youlgreave, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Fisrtly i'd like to thank all the staff for such great hospitality. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel welcome. Originally booked two rooms but were shown the suite at the top as an alternative which we accepted. This made life a lot easier as the kids could be together and we had the extra living space.

I was lucky with the parking as I got a space across the road and i was free Sunday and the bank holiday. You can get paycards from the Inn or at the local supermarket.

We ate both nights at the Inn and both meals and the service were great. The second evenings meal I went for the seafood platter which was fantastic! A massive spread of fresh lobsters, prawns, oysters etc.

You can also sit outside and watch the world go by and the tide come in and out.

The bay is a great place to wander along and the kids had fun on the beach.
Would definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Ok, the last time I visited this was an extremely lively pub downstairs always packed with a great vibe and a reliably good restaurant upstairs but that was 30 years ago! The view and building has changed little but oh my, what a change in food and atmosphere! With the gorgeous courtyard covered with a shed holding a 'novelty' boat bar selling Somerset? ale the Bistro was not good I had whitebait they were far too big and appeared to be cash and carry pub food at it worst horrid! I ordered the Jersey plaice and what a sad fish that was it's expression mirrored my own, would have had Jersey Royals with it, but at £4.50 felt I didn't need a Kilo of them!
the staff were good but 3 of them unnecessary as we were the only diners in the 'Bistro' none of them asked why I hadn't eaten the offerings I guess they know why?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank seapeaks
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was a trip down memory lane for the 6 of us. Eating at the edge of the fabulous St Aubins bay. For some of us it had been about 5 years for some 34 years! One thing we had in common was great memories of this restaurant.
Over pre meal drinks we all found something we fancied on the nicely presented menus and specials. We also chose a bottle of bubbly and a red from their recommended list. My wife and I went for the premium priced minimum of two ordering chateau briand. As we had to order the same cooking time I went with my wife's choice of medium to well with the precise instruction of no blood. I and one other also went for the fruit del mar starter. Becky was looking after us and it seemed the rest of this spread out restaurant.
We went through to our table and our starters came which we attacked with vigour. We waited for our wine which didn't happen. Half way through the starters I had to ask for the wine. Becky rolled her eyes and made it happen, finally. The sea food had one oyster, several whelks and prawns and was padded out with a copious helping of winkles which took me bank to my childhood holidays at Filey Bay. Problem was we couldn't get at them. We had no special shell fish tools just a knife and fork. My friend finally asked for help and a "pin". was found for both of us. There are only so many winkles you can winkle out at a sitting and we both left some.
The mains came. My wife and I looking forward to the carving of the beef at the table. Sadly it arrived carved as roast beef would do on our plates without the accompanying pomp. Even more sadly a good vet could save it. Now I am happy with medium to rare but not my wife hence her precise instructions. I called Becky over who removed my wife's plate agreeing it was not cooked as requested. When it was brought back, correctly cooked, we were advised the chef misread the order! As we tucked into mains and in the absence of any staff I got up to serve the table more wine. I was spotted and Becky took over. This lack of attention was disappointing. Those that wanted had a desert I had a very nice Irish coffee to finish off with.
Having all been keen to return and revisit our positive memories of this restaurant we all left taking about the disappointment. With so many other great restaurants and bistros on the island I doubt we will be back.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank rmdgy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

My friend took me for my first trip to Jersey to celebrate my big 5-0! We stayed in the penthouse and what a treat it was. Right at the top of the hotel it had a large very comfy lounge that felt very homely. Massive bathroom with a bath and separate shower, both with no end of hot water plus a large double and twin room. Views across the bay were stunning. If you like quirky you will love this hotel, particularly the breakfast room which looks like the inside of a boat. Breakfast was hot and week cooked. Kirsty made a very special weekend even more special with her relaxed and approachable style. Thank you. Now planning my next visit and hope to stay at the Old Court House Inn again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jules M
liverpool
Reviewed 11 February 2014

i treated a friend to a weekend on jersey and brought her to the old court house where we had a fabulous weekend in room '9' (the suite), top of the hotel with two bedrooms, sun terrace and large lounge. We were welcomed by Ana who checked us in. The climb to the top is worth it, i have stayed in this room before but my friend was delighted with the space and decor. as usual we were made to feel like we were at home. This quirky hotel with amazing staff is definitely the only place id stay on jersey. Thanks to kirsty as always for making the stay that little more perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
#9 of 16 in St Brelade
The Lyndhurst Jersey
The Lyndhurst Jersey
#12 of 16 in St Brelade

Been to The Old Court House Inn? Share your experiences!