“Good Food, disgraceful treatment by manager!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bon Viveur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Aubin
Bon Viveur
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Aubin
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
“Good Food, disgraceful treatment by manager!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We are a group of retired ladies who dined at this restaurant one evening after having had impressive service for coffee. We arrived at 6.20 for dinner and were given a table. We enjoyed our dinner and asked for the bill. As we were sorting out the bill the manager arrived at the table and was very rude asking for one person to pay the bill and could we leave!! He wanted the table for other customers but we had not been told that we had a time limit on our meal. The bill was paid by credit card and this lady had to suffer further abuse from this man. The food was good and the waiter service was also good but to end our holiday in this way has soured our memories of Jersey.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank iso709

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rugeley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

My wife and I stayed for a fortnight on a B&B basis and whilst perhaps not the best hotel on the island, from our experience, it certainly doesn't deserve some of the adverse reviews given. Our room had a fantastic view over the harbour and was comfortable with adequate facilities. Yes, the en-suite was small but again, adequate for the intended purpose. The only criticism is that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Breakfast was good with a range of options that suited our tastes. The proprietors and their team were welcoming, polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Not so much a guest house as a restuarant with rooms the Bon Viveur is ideally located on the harbour front in the village of St Aubin. On the ground floor is a small bar and superb restaurant serving French & Italian food. Try the locally caught sea food and the duck (not locally caught though there are ducks swimming in the harbour!). There are 19 rooms upstairs, all with ensuite, TV & hairdryer. Ours was bright, spotlessly clean with a very comfortable double bed. Some rooms have a sea view for a supplement.
The only downside - if you are disabled - there is no lift and although there are good hand rails on the main stairs the corridoors are at different levels with steps inbetween. However the food is great and the staff and managers friendly and helpful. We would certainly go back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennial
Wiltshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

I'm a solo traveller and booked this guesthouse the day before I left on a short break. They were very helpful with the booking and I looked forward to the trip. The guesthouse is in the most fabulous position but it's stuck back in the 80's. The decor and menu could be vastly improved. It's the place you walk past to get to the more interesting places next door and a few doors down.

The room was immaculate. I'm sure they polished the skirting boards. It was also very cheap - about £38 a night. So for this I didn't expect a big room. But it was tiny! You literally couldn't open the wardrobe doors fully because they banged into the bed. It was almost laughable. I'm only just over 5 foot and the bed's length was fine for me, but wouldn't have been if I'd been tall. The height of the shower was also a problem. My two issues with the room were that the bed must have been ancient because it creaked like mad every time I turned over. It also had a blanket - and in the very good weather I would have boiled. Speaking of boiling, they seem extremely perverse by not providing tea and coffee equipment in the room. You could order it to be delivered - at £1.50 a time. Personally I popped across the road and got one for £1 from the cafe. But I would so have liked to make my own first thing in the morning.

The other issue was with the tv. It was modern, had lots of channels and had a remote control. However it was fixed to the wall very high up - probably because due to the size of the room and the tiny amount of space between the bottom of the bed and the wall - but it wasn't tilted. So when I lay on the bed to watch it, all the colours were squiffy. I tried sitting up on the bed (you will have gathered that there was no room for a chair) and this wasn't much better. The only way I could see the tv properly was to stand up. How ridiculous.

I will say that these issues only seemed to be a problem with a single room. I saw a double one when the door was open and it was huge and lovely. It even had chairs. Also a couple I spoke to with a double room had no issues and said their bed was comfortable. So maybe it's just the curse of the single traveller who gets the tiny room at the back looking over the bins. My view was a wall and over the side road. Not pretty.

If you want a very economical place to stay which is immaculate and you're not a single traveller and don't care about eating in fancy restaurants - then this is your place. I was disappointed but loved St.Aubin and will go there again.

Room Tip: Only go if you're a couple and ask for a room overlooking the sea. The view at the side and bac...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
caterham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Had a fabulous time at this hotel food was excellent and the breakfast was fabulous as well. would reccomend this hotel to my friends, staff are very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: we had a side room at the back and was woken early morning by dustmen and recycleing collectors ie c...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caterhamarsenal
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed for 7 nights at the Bon Viveur and had dinner there four nights. The food was superb and lots of it! The owners and the staff were attentive and extremely friendly and made us very welcome. The accommodation was comfortable and clean and for the prices charged, I would say very good value for money. The location is excellent and having breakfast every morning overlooking the harbour was wonderful!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Moonriver54
Weston super Mare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

Lovely guest house in a superb setting in a pretty village with an excellent bus service.
The restaurant is also one of the best in a village which boasts a wide selection.
Caution - no lift and steep stairs but should be O.K. for all except those with seriously impaired mobility

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 4 in St Aubin
L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
#7 of 16 in St Brelade

Been to Bon Viveur? Share your experiences!