“Pleasant and Good Value”
Review of Bon Viveur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Aubin
Bon Viveur
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Aubin
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My wife and I stayed for a week on a B&B basis and I wonder if we were at the same hotel as some of last year's reviews. Our room had a harbour view and was comfortable with plenty of room for the two of us. The proprietors and their well trained team were welcoming, friendly and helpful - at breakfast you only had to drain your cup and there was a smart waiter beside you with the pot ready to refill it. It's a shame that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room but apart from that it was good value for the money. I wonder what other people expect for their money - are they in touch with the cost of things?

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We had lunch there last week and found the staff arrogant, my wife ordered lobster the only meat in it was in the tail and the claws, very disappointing. The lobster wasn't shown before preparation and appeared to have been frozen. I had sea bass which was very average and again I suspected it wasn't as fresh as it should have been.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I booked this guesthouse for family friends coming to the island for the first time (I am from Jersey but have lived in London for many years). We arrived at the Bon Viveur around 10.30pm, to be told they were closed. We explained we'd brought some guests to check in and asked if we could have a drink at the outside tables at the front. "No, we are closed". Even to hotel residents and even though others are still sitting at these tables with their drinks? "Yes". What a warm welcome and great first impression of the island!

The room was fairly spacious, given that it was called the 'family room', but the bathroom was a complete joke, more like a cupboard with a shower and toilet squeezed into it. The basin was in the room itself. The decor was extremely dated and the room had a view of the bins at the back.

Needless to say I will not be recommending any other friends to stay here, I was embarrassed for Jersey that this is the sort of memory other guests will have of the customer service levels provided by our tourism industry.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook the bins.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank JerseyEmily
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We are a group of retired ladies who dined at this restaurant one evening after having had impressive service for coffee. We arrived at 6.20 for dinner and were given a table. We enjoyed our dinner and asked for the bill. As we were sorting out the bill the manager arrived at the table and was very rude asking for one person to pay the bill and could we leave!! He wanted the table for other customers but we had not been told that we had a time limit on our meal. The bill was paid by credit card and this lady had to suffer further abuse from this man. The food was good and the waiter service was also good but to end our holiday in this way has soured our memories of Jersey.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank iso709
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My wife and I stayed for a fortnight on a B&B basis and whilst perhaps not the best hotel on the island, from our experience, it certainly doesn't deserve some of the adverse reviews given. Our room had a fantastic view over the harbour and was comfortable with adequate facilities. Yes, the en-suite was small but again, adequate for the intended purpose. The only criticism is that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Breakfast was good with a range of options that suited our tastes. The proprietors and their team were welcoming, polite and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Not so much a guest house as a restuarant with rooms the Bon Viveur is ideally located on the harbour front in the village of St Aubin. On the ground floor is a small bar and superb restaurant serving French & Italian food. Try the locally caught sea food and the duck (not locally caught though there are ducks swimming in the harbour!). There are 19 rooms upstairs, all with ensuite, TV & hairdryer. Ours was bright, spotlessly clean with a very comfortable double bed. Some rooms have a sea view for a supplement.
The only downside - if you are disabled - there is no lift and although there are good hand rails on the main stairs the corridoors are at different levels with steps inbetween. However the food is great and the staff and managers friendly and helpful. We would certainly go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennial
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I'm a solo traveller and booked this guesthouse the day before I left on a short break. They were very helpful with the booking and I looked forward to the trip. The guesthouse is in the most fabulous position but it's stuck back in the 80's. The decor and menu could be vastly improved. It's the place you walk past to get to the more interesting places next door and a few doors down.

The room was immaculate. I'm sure they polished the skirting boards. It was also very cheap - about £38 a night. So for this I didn't expect a big room. But it was tiny! You literally couldn't open the wardrobe doors fully because they banged into the bed. It was almost laughable. I'm only just over 5 foot and the bed's length was fine for me, but wouldn't have been if I'd been tall. The height of the shower was also a problem. My two issues with the room were that the bed must have been ancient because it creaked like mad every time I turned over. It also had a blanket - and in the very good weather I would have boiled. Speaking of boiling, they seem extremely perverse by not providing tea and coffee equipment in the room. You could order it to be delivered - at £1.50 a time. Personally I popped across the road and got one for £1 from the cafe. But I would so have liked to make my own first thing in the morning.

The other issue was with the tv. It was modern, had lots of channels and had a remote control. However it was fixed to the wall very high up - probably because due to the size of the room and the tiny amount of space between the bottom of the bed and the wall - but it wasn't tilted. So when I lay on the bed to watch it, all the colours were squiffy. I tried sitting up on the bed (you will have gathered that there was no room for a chair) and this wasn't much better. The only way I could see the tv properly was to stand up. How ridiculous.

I will say that these issues only seemed to be a problem with a single room. I saw a double one when the door was open and it was huge and lovely. It even had chairs. Also a couple I spoke to with a double room had no issues and said their bed was comfortable. So maybe it's just the curse of the single traveller who gets the tiny room at the back looking over the bins. My view was a wall and over the side road. Not pretty.

If you want a very economical place to stay which is immaculate and you're not a single traveller and don't care about eating in fancy restaurants - then this is your place. I was disappointed but loved St.Aubin and will go there again.

Room Tip: Only go if you're a couple and ask for a room overlooking the sea. The view at the side and bac...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
#10 of 16 in St Brelade
The Lyndhurst Jersey
The Lyndhurst Jersey
#11 of 16 in St Brelade

Been to Bon Viveur? Share your experiences!