“Loved the majesty and grandeur of the landscape, shame about the accommodation”
Review of Bon Viveur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Aubin
Bon Viveur
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Aubin
London, England
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Due to a mix up with our booking through a well known high street travel agent, we had had to settle for the Bon Viveur Hotel in St Aubin’s Bay.

When we arrived the room “wasn’t ready”, which we found out after being blatantly ignored by the chap on reception for five minutes.

Whilst we waited we were offered a (complimentary I hoped) coffee and I headed outside for a cigarette. I noticed the side door to the guest house was wide open (despite a huge sign on it that read “for security reasons this door must be kept shut”!), on peering through the door I realised that it was the guest entrance and lo and behold there were our suitcases sitting in the hallway just waiting for any random passing thief to steal them.

We went up to our room with hunched backs due to the low ceilings and lack of warning notices (there was one sign on the way down!) to discover a tiny double room. We did get our sea view though!

There was as promised an en-suite bathroom, but it was tiny. Inside the ‘bathroom’ (which was about 20 inches wide) was a toilet and shower. My partner later discovered that you had to stick your head in the shower cubicle to wipe your backside!!

The Bon Viveur as a restaurant gets rave reviews both on tripadvisor and elsewhere, this means it is very popular and this in turn means that there is constant noise from below which filters into the rooms. Couple this with the extraordinary amount of noise from the neighbouring pub and you get the picture about the lack of sleep!

After a restless night’s sleep the maid woke us up by hoovering outside our door at 9am – it was a Sunday. The walls in the hotel are paper thin and the décor is firmly stuck in the 1950s, the lighting might as well be candlelight.

Coupled with this my partner was unwell so we were confined to the room for a few hours, with only a small faulty television for company (the colour contrast was shot to pieces so everyone’s faces were purple!!)

When we spoke to the friendly staff in nearby restaurants and told them where we were staying their response was a resounding “Oh dear”!

The staff are not very friendly (apart from one waiter – who was promptly told off for ‘fraternising’) and we felt that as a male couple in a double room we were not as welcomed as other guests. I stress that this is our impression, but I have no other views to go on.

I had stayed in Jersey before and peruaded my partner to go there as it is a wonderful place. I stand by this but unfortunately we would not stay at this particular guesthouse again

3 Thank Dr3w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Aubin
The Lyndhurst Jersey
The Lyndhurst Jersey
#11 of 16 in St Brelade
L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa

Been to Bon Viveur? Share your experiences!