“Annual Holiday”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Annual Holiday”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My husband and I planned a week's holiday at La Place along with his brother and wife. Although our flights were delayed and therefore arrived at the hotel later than expected our welcome was well organised and we were shown to our rooms promptly and looked after with complimentary drinks until a table was free in the restaurant. The rooms were spacious and the beds very comfortable, home from home really as it can always be a worry what hotel beds are going to be like. We had rooms facing the pool which was very inviting every morning due to the fabulous weather we experienced during our stay, or just to sit round prior to breakfast which was served in the conservatory. The food was first class, whether breakfast or dinner. The newly refurbished restaurant is lovely and relaxing and was busy every evening. There was always a varied selection on the menu each day and we could not fault one meal, well done chef!! The waiting staff in the restaurant, although very busy at times, were always attentive and could not do enough to help. Always very professional and looked after us extremely well. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. In fact, our experience of the service the staff provided generally made our holiday a wonderful experience. Thank you to David Burton and his staff for making our holiday so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms excellent if you like the convenience of sitting outside. We were not affected by a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JAL345
Margriet B, Manager at Hotel La Place, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for your review, and thank you for highlighting the beds, it is very important to us that they are comfortable, so I am pleased that you felt they were home away from home!

I am delighted that you enjoyed the food, and thank you for your special mention to the chef, this is much appreciated and I will make sure it gets passed on.

It really is great to hear that the team played a part in making your stay so enjoyable and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Margriet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Hotel La Place is one of those hotels where they seem to have thought of pretty much everything and the resulting effect is a holiday experience leaving you feeling pampered, refreshed and relaxed. The staff and service are truly excellent.
Quite a long review follows, but in summary I would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel. There were a few minor things that I would criticise. I must stress however that they are very minor and things that are personal to me and probably wouldn’t bother anyone else. It’s an almost faultless place with much to commend it.

Service/Staff:
On arrival at Jersey airport, which by the way is immaculate, we were greeted by a chap from the hotel who was friendly and helpful and immediately took our cases from us. A small thing I know, but some people would rather watch you struggle with your cases. The mini bus was spotless and comfortable, thought it wouldn’t have mattered if it wasn’t as a mere 5 minutes later we arrived at the hotel, whose forecourt and exterior are very well presented.

The staff at the reception desk were every bit as personable and helpful as the man who had greeted us at the airport. A swift and smooth sign-in and moments later we were sat by the pool with our complimentary glass of pink bubbly. Perfect.

If there is one thing that made this hotel stand out for the duration of our stay was the exceptional level of service. The staff were so friendly and helpful at all times that you never ever feel that you want for anything. We hired a car on day three which took no effort whatsoever, the reception staff sorted everything out for us.

Rooms:
When our room was ready we were shown from the poolside to the room (we had no need to touch our cases once from airport to room, that was done for us). The room was lovely and had clearly been recently refurbished. The décor is neither excessively contemporary nor excessively old-fashioned. Ours was a twin poolside room (which can be made up as a double or twin) which in early September is £140 per night. The room has all the usual features; LCD TV, kettle and selection of teas and coffees, complimentary toiletries etc. One touch I personally love too was the inclusion of white robes, slippers and nice big bath sheets in the bathrooms rather than the smaller type quite often used in hotels.

Food and drink:
Breakfast is perfect at Hotel La Place. You can eat in either the main restaurant, the well-furnished, bright and airy conservatory or, if the weather permits, the staff will lay a table in the pretty courtyard for you. There is a cold buffet which includes all of the usual cereal, fruit, juices and so on, and also meats, cheese and pastries. In addition to that is a good selection of hot foods cooked to order. I didn’t have any of the hot food but it looked exceptionally good.

We ate at the Hotel restaurant on two of the nights that we stayed. With the exception of one dish, the food was excellent. The service was once again perfect with all of the small touches that I like when dining; the waiter pulls out the chair for you to be seated, places the napkin on your lap, explains the menus, provides water if required, brings a fresh bread basket to choose from while you wait for your meal, takes away the unrequired place and glass settings, pours every glass of wine for you, clears the plates away soon after you have finished eating and so on. All things that I know may be expected, but aren’t always forthcoming at some hotels and restaurants. Other small things are a bowl of fresh Jersey butter (rather than the annoying and messy small wrapped packets of butter) and large linen napkins (rather than the small and often thin and pointless paper serviettes often used).

The restaurant has a standing menu of local specialities including fresh Jersey lobster (which by the way was delicious) as well as a Kitchen Menu which changes every single day. I experienced scallops, lobster, salmon fillet with risotto and the whitebait, all of which were a delight. My mother tried the Peri Peri chicken and beef estpetada. The chicken alas was very disappointing. It was dry and lacking in actual chicken meat, being what seemed to be all the worst cuts from the bird. It had been deep fried with the Peri Peri sauce on the side. The sauce had been described as a mild take on Peri Peri, but was quite hot. I would steer well away from this dish. The espetada looked wonderful but a word of warning; it is a gigantic meal. The skewer of meat is brought to the table (dripping in fresh garlic butter) and holds probably 2 portions of beef. With that comes three side dishes; a salad, a large portion of fries and an fairly dull looking bowl of vegetable rice. If you like meat, give it a go, but beware that the whole dish is enormous.
Of note for those vegetarians out there is that there is at least one vegetarian dish on the Kitchen Menu each night, and they seemed well thought out rather than the half-hearted vegetable lasagnes and pasta dishes that are quite often the vegetarian option.

We also ate twice next to the pool from the bar menu. The food was good but the portions are very large, so beware when ordering that you probably won’t need as much as you think.

Drink are as one would expect in a hotel with wines varying from around £16 up to around £35. The rest of the drinks are all of the usual with a good selection of spirits and mixers. There are only a couple of draught drinks; John Smiths and a lager if I recall, but hotels are rarely a drinking spot of choice for an ale drinker so I don’t think this limited selection lets the hotel down.

Other facilities:
• The pool is lovely. It is heated from May to September and surrounded by loungers, tables and chairs where you can enjoy food and drinks from the bar.
• Towels are provided on reception specifically for use around the pool.
• There is a computer and printer available in the lobby which is free of charge for such things as printing off boarding passes, which was very useful.
• There is plentiful parking for anyone visiting with a car.
• The number 9 bus service which runs from St Helier up to the north western parts of the island leaves from directly outside the hotel.
• Wi-Fi is available and free throughout the hotel

So, the “faults” (I warned you, they are minor):
• The supplied hairdryer was one of those old-style hotel ones which you have to hold the button down on and isn’t very powerful;
• The coffee in the room is the cheapest Nescafe granules which I just can’t stand, and not even the freeze-dried type which may have been fractionally better, and I think in a 4 star hotel they could provide a better quality product;
• There is no hand towel/hand towel ring in the bathroom, so you need to use one of the second towels (which I class as a hair towel) to dry your hands and there is nowhere to hang it
• The bathroom toiletries were not replenished after the first day
• The sliding patio door was quite old and it was easy to jam it shut with the bar lock, for which we didn’t have a key
• We had one bad dish in the restaurant. Though it is of note that this was very much the exception, the rest of the food was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelling_Toe_Span
Hello Travelling Toe-Span

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate all feedback, but especially when you have really taken out the time to write on tripadvisor in such detail! It felt like we were on holiday with you..

We welcome all suggestions and we have certainly taken your minor points on board, I would welcome an email from you so I can identify what you room stayed in, in order for us to rectify the patio door problem.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kent
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights in a newly refurbished Superior Room between 23rd - 28th August. We would like to thank David Burton and his staff for making our visit so enjoyable. Especially our trip to the Horse Racing on Bank Holiday Monday which was organaised by the Hotel! Front of House staff Stephanie, Margriet B and Bogdan were very helpful and nothing was too much bother. The accomodation was first class and service excellent. We will definately be returning soon. Thank you!

1 Thank Nicky E
Dear Nicky E
Thank you so much for your comments, it’s great to hear that the staff played a part in making your visit so enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Best wishes,
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We booked Hotel La Place for an over night stay with our children my mother, father and niece after previously staying here a few months back needless to say we weren't disappointed the staff, service and food was second to none we are really looking forward to returning again. Fabulous value for money

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Kate R
Margriet B, Manager at Hotel La Place, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear ‘Local Family’
Thank you for your great comments, I am pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay with us, and we are delighted that you wish to come back.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights at La Place Hotel from 27th - 31st August. This holiday was to celebrate our Silver wedding anniversary. Everything about our time there was first class. The standard of the accommodation was absolutely fantastic.The recently refurbished room was decorated to a very high standard, the same can also be said for all the public areas. In addition to this, the choice and quality of the food was faultless and all the staff were very attentive and courteous at all times, particularly the waiters and waitresses. We would definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: We went for a superior room to add that bit of extra room and luxury. Ours overlooked the swimming p...
3 Thank Andrew C
Thank you for your lovely comments, I am pleased that you had chosen us to stay for your Silver wedding anniversary and that you experienced us to be first class.
We hope to see you again, maybe for your next anniversary!

Best wishes,
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Excellent, except........arrived for breakfast as a couple. I wanted to be seated in the conservatory, but was informed that this was not possible as the available tables are set for four people and have been allocated. This was incorrect as when I was eventually seated in the conservatory, the "allocated" tables had not been occupied from when I first attended and was refused breakfast to 30 minutes after breakfast had ended. As I have stayed at this hotel on four previous occasions, I would have thought that I could have been seated at a table for four. The meaning of "allocated" is not understood by the staff as the tables had been allocated to no one. As a Hilton Gold Card customer, I know what customer service and 5* means. This hotel only made 4* as it has a few ridiculous rules where common sense is not allowed to prevail! Beware the tall thin blond on reception who’s customer interaction skills are better suited to an 18-30 Ibiza club resort. Shame as the hotel has almost everything to make it excellent 5*.
I would stay at Hotel La Place next year and if fully booked would only consider Longueville Manor as a hotel which could be considered a replacement - I have also stayed at this hotel many times.

3 Thank James M
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Have just returned from a 2 week holiday at la place country cottages. The cottages were superb with all mod appliances and finished to a very high specification. We stayed in cottage number 5 The Hawthorn, which was lovely, the only down side was the fact that the down stairs bedroom window was right next to the cottage next doors front door. We were very unlucky that we were staying the same time as a very loud group of people who for some reason thought they were the only residents in the cottages. We were woken on two nights by their noise due to the fact that the bedroom window in the hawthorn is so close to the next cottages front door. This would not put me off staying at the cottages again, but i would prefer not to stay in the Hawthorn again simply for that reason. Other than that it was a very nice place to spend two weeks in jersey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us, I am however disappointed to hear that you were woken up twice. We do have a night porter on duty, so in future please do not hesitate to call us on reception.
We hope to see you again next year.
Kind regards
Hotel de France
#1 of 32 in St Helier
L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey

Been to Hotel La Place? Share your experiences!