“Perfect location”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Oxfordshire
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights and would recommend it. The location is perfect, right on the glorious beach. The hotel is sandwiched between the road through St Brelade and the beach. We started on a roadside room facing the car park which was exceptionally quiet. We upgraded to a seaview half way though for the view. The rooms are not over-spacious but perfectly adequate. Good room service with everything restocked twice each day if you have the turn-down service. Excellent breakfast in the Crystal Room with views over the bay: fruit, cereals, cold meats and cheese, hot buffet and hot items that you could order at the table. We only ate one evening meal there on the first night, preferring to go out to local restaurants for the atmosphere and better value. Free wifi but not accessible from our room at the end of the building. Good spa with indoor pool, sauna and steam room. Gym was small with tired equipment. There was a corporate event for 2 days which meant relocating breakfast and dinner away from the Crystal Room but it was well managed and didn't bother us. Staff were courteous and responsive. Two other comments. The much recommended St Brelades Bay Hotel is on the landside of and adjacent to the road. And we had intended to hire a car but found the bus service perfectly adequate and great fun. Looking forward to going back sometime.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor, and a thank you for the positive comments about the hotel. I was pleased that you had the opportunity to upgrade to a sea view; we do have three room types excluding the suites. I believe that you upgraded to our Executive Ocean View, we do have slightly larger rooms with our deluxe ocean view rooms.

We are reviewing the Wifi service as you have said it is currently only available in the public areas, hopefully we will be adding this to all bedrooms next year, we do have some booster packs available at reception.

I have taken on board your comments about the gym equipment, this is something else that we hope to review next year, everything is in perfect working order and the gym is never crowded.

Thank you once again for your comments.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed here for one night to see if all the fuss about the views here were over rated.No they are not! The sea view rooms are fabulous and although not over spacious are clean with good cleanliness.Service was excellent throughout our short stay,but would not use the spa treatments again.this being our only let down.

2 Thank rogerthelodger7
Hi

Thank you for the review, and a thank you for the comments regarding the views and the positive comments about the hotel. I am sorry that our Spa didn’t impress you, I would appreciate the opportunity to understand what the issues were. If you could contact me to discuss this further I would be grateful.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Westbury
Reviewed 4 July 2012

An excellent hotel in a fantastic setting with very good staff.

We normally use hotels in St Hellier but as it was our wedding anniversary we booked L'Horizon for its reputation and setting.

The room which had a sea view and a balcony was great we slept with the windows open on the first night and all you could hear was the sea but if there was a function on you couldn't sleep with windows open due to the noise on the terrace.

The service by the staff was great.

However we were there for 5 days and there were functions on for three of the nights which meant that the Crystal room restaurant was out of bounds. Also several of the doors to the Terrace and sea were locked when the functions were on so you had to walk from one end of the hotel to the other to get out.

I get the feeling that the guest are treated as second class people when a function is being held.

I can appreciate that the hotel needs the revenue but they must remember that normal guest pay a lot of money to stay there as well.

As a regular visitor to the Island both for work & pleasure we knew that the Hotel was popular Also our agent had put a line on the bottom of our itinerary about the odd function.

But I feel that we should have been informed at the time of booking that there would be functions three nights out of five. We could then have made our own choice whether to stay there or try another hotel.

All in all a good hotel & trip ruined by outside functions.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view higher the floor the better
5 Thank Roger H
, Deputy General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Hi
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor and your kind comments about the hotel, we are truly blessed with the setting we have here on the island.
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your wedding anniversary.

I am sorry you were disturbed by the guests from the function on the terrace, we are conscious of this and do try our best to prevent the issue.
The doors on the terrace were not closed because of the event but because they were in need of new parts. This has been commented on previously, and we are just waiting on the parts to arrive from the UK. The issue is the mechanism which holds the door open so people can get in from the outside as they are fire doors. The doors are working perfectly as an exit on the push handle from the inside and will be refitted with the correct part in the next week.

As a hotel, we are available for functions and weddings but we genuinely consider all our guests in the process, so much so that the terms and conditions when booking a function are very strict on availability of bedrooms, function space, and dining. We also restrict the availability of the terrace to guests separate to diners. Our aim is to have the correct balance of both leisure and corporate guests to support our business. Both types of business also support each other and a sole reliance on one would make quite an impact on the price. We appreciate and are very aware that our rates are paid by both leisure and corporate guest and we need to deliver on our service to all of our guests.

On all confirmations with our booking agents it states to contact the hotel at the time of booking as we are a popular hotel for events. And in fairness to the agents an events may not have been booked at the time when you made your reservation. Agents are not up to date on our function business, and that is why we have asked them to add the statement to their confirmation.
Once again thank you very much for the kind comments about our service and that when you wish to make future bookings it is always best to book direct with the hotel to get the best offers available.

Please feel free to contact me directly to further discuss you stay.
Kind Regards

Peter Fergus
Deputy General Manager
Lichfield
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The Location is good, L'Horizon though is overpriced and overrated.It does not warrant 4*'s.

The service and food at Breakfast was no better than a motor way service area. The bedroom was fine, but I had to pay a considerable amount of money (more than the Cote d'azur) to up grade to a sea view room. Even after requesting a quiet room we were informed of 2 weddings with disco's underneath the bedroom that went on until 12.30p.m. The weddings over took every thing else.

Like other reviews the staff are poorly trained and have shabby uniforms. Over half an hour for a boiled egg at breakfast, the juices and some fruit had 'gone off' tasted terrible.

Service in the eating area's was unbelievably slow, the lobster overcooked and tough.

8 Thank DianneLichfield
, Deputy General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Hi

Thank you very much for your feedback on trip advisor.

I am sorry you feel that we are over priced and over rated.

I have taken you comments to heart and I have sat with both the Head Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager to review the buffet and ensure its quality.

There is no excuse to wait half an hour for a boiled egg and we have also spoken to our staff on delivery of service.

However I do feel that the comparison to a motor way service area is quite severe.

Further to the comment that service in the eating areas was slow, I have addressed this again with the Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure the delivery to large tables is focused on and that delays are not felt by our guests.

As a hotel, we do take functions and weddings and we genuinely consider all our guests in the process, so much so that the terms and conditions when booking a function are very strict on availability of bedrooms, function space, and dining. Also we do restrict the music to background music from 12:00am until 12:30am.

We do our best to inform all of our guests of our functions before arrival and on arrival.

When you refer to our staff as poorly trained “like other reviews“ I feel that if you look at all of the other reviews you will see that we whole heartedly take on our guests feedback both negative and positive and action all of the areas of concern, through planning and implementing training, and reviewing the progress.

We also have extensive training and induction plans when new team members join our team.

We are currently in the process throughout the company of phasing out the uniform, which is quite an expensive process as you can imagine, but we do feel the uniforms are neutral and of a good standard.

Finally all feedback both negative and positive is appreciated, but preferably bringing your concerns to the attention of the manager on duty while in the hotel is a better way for us to deal with any issues during your stay.

I do appreciate you taking my call to discuss your grievances with me last week.
Thank you once again for your comments.

Peter Fergus
Deputy General Manager
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This Hotel is steps away from St Brelade Bay Beach, a very long white sandy beach. This hotel is very friendly and the staff very helpful, Pavel was extremely helpful, thank you. It certainly shows that it is a 4 star hotel. We did not use the Spa facilities but took a look and the pool looked very inviting. We were in Jersey for a wedding so apart from breakfast we ate out. The Breakfast had a large variety, including vegetarian sausages, which I was very pleased about. There is a terrace area overlooking the beach which is a great location to sit, drink and people watch. We had a sea facing room with a balcony that we could sit out on, these rooms are more expensive but worth it if you like to wake up to the sea view and sit on the balcony. Lots of parking, if you are driving.
A wonderful hotel to stay at, we thoroughly enjoyed out visit to Jersey and this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have chosen a room with a balcony, then ask for one that has enough to space to sit out on as...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for the kind comments about Pavel, I shall let him know that he has been mentioned.

It is a shame that you didn’t have more time to enjoy the facilities and the wonderful beach, I hope you have the opportunity to return soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Just had to write a review in response to the negative review from MN993 Cologne, Germany. I have stayed at this hotel four times now, the last being in April this year, and have just booked to go back in October!! I love this hotel, as does my family. It's like a home from home for us. From the minute you arrive, you are made welcome. The room (we always have an oceanview one - why have a view like that and face inland?) is wonderful, always clean. The food is good, especially love the breakfasts. Pedro is a credit to the hotel. Housekeeping superb. Absolutely no complaints with the L'Horizon. I can't answer for the other contributor except that some people are just negative, and whine for the sake of it. Don't take my word for it though, check it out for yourselves, you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank janiepoos
Hi

Thank you for the review.

Very good of you to rush to our defence, people will think that I have written your review myself. I am delighted you love the hotel. We do have a great housekeeping team and they work extremely hard in what, to say the very least is a very tough job. Thank you for acknowledging that, they will appreciate your comments as I do. Pedro as well has been with us for many years and is great representative of the hotel.

We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel but please tell us who you are.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Have been to Jersey several times & always gravitate to the St Brelades Bay area. This was a quick girls getaway for 24 hours which of course consisted of shopping, eating (see review of The Oyster Box) & a fair bit of drinking. Have enjoyed a few drinkies on the l'Horizon terrace on previous holidays & would always recommend anyone to take the time to do this. Cannot & will not agree with a rather negative review on this hotel. I would question the validity of submitting a review on somewhere years after the visit!! My friend & I found all the staff charming & efficient. Breakfast starts at 7am with cooked options being served from 8. We had to head to the airport around 7.30am, but on request, they got the chef to rustle up some bacon for a tasty sandwich. Our room was nicely furnished & spotlessly clean. Keep up the good work.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank laemuk
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, a shame that you could not have stayed longer. I was a little concerned about the point of the cooked breakfast as this should have been available from 7am but on the buffet from 8am onwards, I will look into that point further, but I was pleased that you were provided with some food for your rather early trip home.

Thank you once again.

Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
Hotel de France
Hotel de France
#1 of 32 in St Helier

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!